PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone - just updated my total with my little spend today, hanging on in there as I'm determined to make it this month.:o

Dinner tonight is Roast Pork and all the trimmings, we are a day behind as we used up leftovers yesterday from Saturday's dinner. Pudding is a Pineapple upside down pud, found half a tin of pineapple at the back of the Fridge from Sweet and sour last week, did a sniff test on the contents and all looked ok.:o Hate throwing anything out, just won't tell the family it's been lurking in there for a few days.:cool:

Have a good evening everyone.;)
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    Ate from the garden and freezer today but also placed an order at Big Brands 4 Less. Including delivery it comes to £22.67 which isn't too bad. I don't usually include the delivery charge in my budget but since i gave myself an extra £10 to spend on groceries this month (£110 instead of £100), i am going to include it. I have altered my siggy accordingly.

The good thing about the order i placed is that there is lots of good quality food at knock down prices that will be heading my way over the next couple of days! Hoorah!
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    rosieben wrote: »
    I used to do this but I used a quick jel sachet rather than a pint jelly; just enough for a sponge flan case (though I think I used the larger one too); I have some in the cupboard...... another dessert sorted for this week ;)

I just check online, 52 in sains, 68p in tesc

Thanks for that Rosie :)

68p??!! - blimey....I only pay between 6 & 12p for my jelly :rotfl:

I'd rather make up a pint of jelly, use up how ever much the flan can handle, and pour the rest of the jelly into a couple of glass bowls - OR :think: does it have to be Qu!ck Jel so it sets before making the sponge go all soggy?

Is fruit set in jelly all that all that can be done with a sponge flan then?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm a sponge flan virgin so to speak :o Could I use frozen summer fruit (thawed and drained) with a strawberry jelly? Or would the black and redcurrants prevent the jelly from setting? (I know Kiwi does for example)
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • muffin_man_7
    Options
    should of done update on thursday but due to stupid migraine haven't been able to adjust receipts will update sig in a bit spent a total of £38.97 on food and £15 on non food (which i don't count as i don't buy them all the time so its better if i keep them on a different budget)which leaves me approx£21 to 31 oct and i've got a fiver in the kitty for unexpected spend with 13 days to go i hope it won't be unlucky for me will add £38.97 to running total also my no spends is going good i think the 2 work well together
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
  • TizerCat
    TizerCat Posts: 473 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK another £3.71 to add to the Grocery challenge cos I forgot to buy cheese and cooking bacon on Saturday :( still under budget tho
    Debt at LBM 27 Sept 2010 £40,640.17:o cleared it in 2017. Debt now £3600 on credit card 0% and £20k on consolidation loan Oh dear will I ever l learn!? B][/FONT
  • laloopi
    laloopi Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't posted for a while due to hols but we're up to £190.03. As we'll be having a further £55 of box deliveries then that leaves just £15 discretionary spending until the end of the month. I'm not sure it's doable but going to try!!
    Must get organised and rejoin grocery challenge!
  • katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    Hippeechiq wrote: »
    Thanks for that Rosie :)

68p??!! - blimey....I only pay between 6 & 12p for my jelly :rotfl:

I'd rather make up a pint of jelly, use up how ever much the flan can handle, and pour the rest of the jelly into a couple of glass bowls - OR :think: does it have to be Qu!ck Jel so it sets before making the sponge go all soggy?

Is fruit set in jelly all that all that can be done with a sponge flan then?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm a sponge flan virgin so to speak :o Could I use frozen summer fruit (thawed and drained) with a strawberry jelly? Or would the black and redcurrants prevent the jelly from setting? (I know Kiwi does for example)

oooh you've just reminded me that i have summer fruits in the freezer....was going to make more jam with them but instead i am going to save them for making a summer fruit pavlova for Christmas Day dessert.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well hello everyone, :D

I just thought I'd pop on to say I've updated my sig. OH bought a couple of little bits on Saturday as well as Friday but now all added on. We had NSD yesterday and today so now up to 11 :T which is ok considering I have another 11 days to go.

My months end on my payday which is last working day of the month so I think I'll get it on Friday 29th this month. We still have a little over £70 to last us, won't need to buy cat food and so we should be OK. Famous last words again!!! :rotfl:

Oooh, I forgot to tell you that our new slow cooker arrived. Got a 3.5 ltr MR for an amazing £19.99 (down from £39.99) from Am**on. We haven't used it yet but will be buying some cheaper cuts of meat later in the week to try it out. ;) It will be a test for me as I'm so finickity about meat (some would say food in general :o) and simply can't cope with anything resembling toughness, gristle or the like. _pale_ I have been known to be veggie for years after having a bad meat meal. :embarasse Not that it's a bad thing to be veggie mind you. :cool:

Yesterday OH made the Golden Lentil Soup from the front page for my lunches in work this week. It is very simple to make but my oh my is it tasty! :drool: Absolutely gorgeous, so thank you once again rosieben for keeping the list in order for us. :A

Decided today that I'm going to take most if not all of next week off - been really hectic in work recently - so looking forward to that. I've got loads to do around the house - an autumn clean :p - but am hoping I can get a couple of days out with a girlfriend.

Ok, I'm off to put my feet up and enjoy a stunning HM lasagne OH made yesterday.

Take care all and keep up the great work,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • BlimusOreilly
    Options
    £15.16 spent in Mr M's today - off to update sig.
    DFW Nerd 941 Proud to be dealing with my debt
    August GC £0/£300

• NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    £1.25 spent on potatoes from the little Mr S near work - updated signature. Bit peeved that they didn't do any of the offers advertised online - seems that the people who shop at the 'big' stores are only worthy of having that privilege :(

Having some of the 97% meat content Debbie and Andrew sausages I bought from Mr T a few weeks ago...I LOVE sausage and mash, but can't abide the cheap spammy sausages. Served with broccoli on BOGOF from my Mr T shop as well.

I'm approaching the limit but I'm confident I will manage (or if not, be only SLIGHTLY over) :o
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills