UC advance payment

My friend has been on Uc since 2016 and attends Job centre.In Nov 2018 he went "live" for the online system.
The Job Centre are deducting £20 a month for a "advance payment for November"
We've checked his records thinking they may have made two apyments either in October or November - but all he got was regular single monthly payments .Both October and November are simply his monthly payments of £251.
So basically they must be saying that whilst he was going live online -he was not entitled to a November payment?
I find this odd because my son went thru same process - but he never had a "advance payment" or any deductions.

Comments

• An advanced payment is issued if you ask for it whilst you are waiting for your first UC payment which is then deducted from your monthly UC payment to pay it back.
  • tali
    tali Posts: 709 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2019 at 10:08PM
    He never asked for it , and he certainly was not aware of it - but that's beside the point tbh Like i said in my final point (the key one)- my son had continuous payments whilst going UC live
  • What I’m asking is, regardless what he asked, did he get a advanced payment?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The only way to find out what is going on is to ask the DWP. In this case anything we can post on this forum is, I think, guesswork.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If they click on their journal it will show everything that has happened, scroll down to November and see if an advance payment is showing.
  • calcotti
    tomtom256 wrote: »
    If they click on their journal it will show everything that has happened, scroll down to November and see if an advance payment is showing.

Opening post indicates that there were no additional payments and as it was transition from live service to full service you would presumably not expect to need an advance.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • tomtom256
    calcotti wrote: »
    Opening post indicates that there were no additional payments and as it was transition from live service to full service you would presumably not expect to need an advance.

But they could still get one regardless of this, as it's still classed as a new claim in the UCFS systems eyes and it would have allowed a new claim advance to be obtained either through the WC or by the customer doing it in on there own account by clicking the advance tab.

As such if one was taken, it would show in the history on the journal around November time. The advance would not show on any statement as being paid, other than in the deductions section as it is paid separately.
  • calcotti
    tomtom256 wrote: »
    But they could still get one regardless of this, as it's still classed as a new claim in the UCFS systems eyes and it would have allowed a new claim advance to be obtained either through the WC or by the customer doing it in on there own account by clicking the advance tab.

As such if one was taken, it would show in the history on the journal around November time. The advance would not show on any statement as being paid, other than in the deductions section as it is paid separately.

So what is the normal timing when claimant transfers from live to full service. I had assumed that the processed was managed such that the claimant’s normal monthly payment schedule was maintained - sounds as if that was naive of me.
  • tomtom256
    calcotti wrote: »
    So what is the normal timing when claimant transfers from live to full service. I had assumed that the processed was managed such that the claimant’s normal monthly payment schedule was maintained - sounds as if that was naive of me.

It was a manual switch following a call to action to claim UCFS.

All switching claimants had to make a new claim to UC in the first instance. This claim was then manually switched to match existing AP's and payment dates on the new (full service) system as we couldn't transfer data across from the live service (WSP) as it wasn't compatible, the claim was then closed on the WSP.

You really couldn't make it up.

As such all switchers could get a new claim advance as the Full Service system saw them as new claims until the switching action had been done by the service centre as part of the managed migration.
  • calcotti
    Crazy - makes one even less confident about migration from legacy benefits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure