PIP assessment report advice

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Quick update. Rang DWP first thing this morning and managed to be put straight through to a case manager, which i was happy about.

I told them i wasn't happy about the recommended award length and mentioned that the same reason was given on the previous PA4 report. 17 months later her condition hasn't changed, she receives more support and despite attending college since September 2017 her condition has remained the same. I asked when exactly do they expect her condition to improve? I mentioned that i sent in evidence to prove that her conditions are life long and she will always need this level of support, yet it was completely ignored.

I was told the report is waiting to be looked at by a case manager and she would add a note onto the computer about what we spoke about today, so it will be seen when they look at the report.

All i can do now is wait for the decision. If the award length is still 1 year before review, i'll decide at that point whether to ask for the MR or not. Difficult decision.

I'll update once i have the decision. Thanks again for the advice.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Done everything you can at this stage. Good luck. (Amazed you managed to get put through to a case manager!)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy12345
    calcotti wrote: »
    Done everything you can at this stage. Good luck. (Amazed you managed to get put through to a case manager!)
    Thanks! Yes, i was too.
  • calcotti wrote: »
    Given that ESA awards don't usually state a period I didn't think they were. PIP award periods however are.

They don't state a period because they don't have a period - as I stated ESA awards are indefinite until superseded. As such periods can not be appealed as there is no actual defined period (prognosis - i.e recommended period until next assessment is not a restriction on the length of award).

PIP makes closed period awards and so the dates can be appealed.

The previous poster was referring to the severe condition guidance on ESA which can turn off routine reassessment (although it doesn't remove the Secretary of State's right to reassess should she consider it necessary). This isn't defined in legislation so the application of it is not current appealable to the First-tier Tribunal (although it might be challenged in a civil court).
    Who's going to fly your plane? / When you need to make your getaway....
  • poppy12345
    edited 21 March 2019 at 3:46PM
    Just thought i'd give an update... Today i received the decision but i'm completely confused. Her previous award end date was 22nd October 2019, with review 1 year before that.

This award date states from 13th March 2019 to 22nd October 2019 :O so that means the award date hasn't changed, which makes no sense at all.

I've just rang DWP and spoke to a really helpful person ( yes i did say helpful lol) she agrees that's it has to be an error and will contact the case manager that made the decision to check the length of the award.

My question is has anyone else experienced anything like this before? I just don't understand what use the review was if there's no increase in the award length of time...

Further into the letter it says " we will contact you again after 22nd October 2018 to see if anything has changed"
  • calcotti
    Are you sure this is a revised decision letter rather than just the annual uprating letter which advises claimants of the change to benefits rates that take place in April. These would apply to the end of the existing award.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy12345
    It's the new decision letter because i rang to ask them. I'm completely baffled. I had her annual uprating letter last week.
  • calcotti
    edited 21 March 2019 at 4:33PM
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    It's the new decision letter because i rang to ask them. I'm completely baffled. I had her annual uprating letter last week.
    Of course. If it was the uprating letter it would not have said from 13th March - I didn't think that through! Mr !!!!-up is at home. Hopefully DWP will send you a revised award letter.
  • poppy12345
    Thanks as always calcotti! I'll let you know what the revised decision is.
  • poppy12345 wrote: »

Sounds like the case manager has cocked up entering the correct dates on the system.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure