Claims management company (CMC) complaints - ask the ombudsman your question

Options

Comments

• Nickip3
    Options
    March 2017 my husband signed a LOA for a Tesco PPI claim with Family Money Savers. Nothing was received again from them. Jan 2018 we received a letter from Tesco to say we could claim and to complete the questionnaire. We did and payment was made to us in March 2018. In Aug 2018 we received a letter from Tesco with regard to new ruling and said we could possibly claim again. I went into Tesco website to log complaint. We then receive a letter from Family Money Savers with a LOA. This was completed. The next thing we get is a letter from FMS asking us for their fee. On the same day is a letter with a second reminder. I contacted FMS and said we don’t owe this money as it was us that dealt direct with Tesco. I then contacted Tesco who have confirmed that FMS have no claim as the LOA was our of date. We have since received threatening calls and they have now passed to their debt collection agency, which is part of FMS who are threatening to send a debt collector to our door. I have written a letter of complaint to them 12/11/18 which has not yet been responded to. Any more advice please.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nickip3 wrote: »
    March 2017 my husband signed a LOA for a Tesco PPI claim with Family Money Savers. Nothing was received again from them. Jan 2018 we received a letter from Tesco to say we could claim and to complete the questionnaire. We did and payment was made to us in March 2018. In Aug 2018 we received a letter from Tesco with regard to new ruling and said we could possibly claim again. I went into Tesco website to log complaint. We then receive a letter from Family Money Savers with a LOA. This was completed. The next thing we get is a letter from FMS asking us for their fee. On the same day is a letter with a second reminder. I contacted FMS and said we don’t owe this money as it was us that dealt direct with Tesco. I then contacted Tesco who have confirmed that FMS have no claim as the LOA was our of date. We have since received threatening calls and they have now passed to their debt collection agency, which is part of FMS who are threatening to send a debt collector to our door. I have written a letter of complaint to them 12/11/18 which has not yet been responded to. Any more advice please.

Speak to the legal ombudsman though it will depend if you signed a LOA and this claims firm submitted your complaint to Tesco. If so, then they are entitled to their cut regardless of the fact that they did nothing and Tesco took a while to respond. A lot will depend on whether they confirmed your contract was over and if the firm are the ones who submitted it
  • brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    why, after complaining direct to tesco, when FMS sent you a new LOA did you complete it?
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • Nickip3
    Options
    I spoke to legal ombudsman back in November. Hence the letter of complaint to the cmc. I have to wait 8 weeks for them to respond. In the meantime we are being pursued with them not responding back to us. How do they have claim to something that was paid after the LOA was out of date. Even when Tesco have confirmed that they have no right to claim on it. They will not even speak to Tesco themselves to confirm. They just want the money and that’s it.
  • Nickip3
    Options
    Because Tesco had written again in Aug saying we we could claim regarding new ruling. I went on Tesco website and filled in. I thought the LOA that arrived was to do with that. It looked like a new complaint when it came. It was 18 months later by the same CMC. Didn’t realise this at the time as we had no correspondence from them in the whole 18 months.
  • Jimp
    Options
    Hi over 2yrs ago I instructed a firm called hidenda to pursue a claim for ppi insurance against Cardiff pinnacle insurance for a car loan i took out in 2006 . I was told I had taken out ppi and to fill out the form and return it to them, that was the last thing I have heard. I have tried contacting them to no avail. I was wondering if i could make the claim myself ?
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    Nickip3 wrote: »
    Because Tesco had written again in Aug saying we we could claim regarding new ruling. I went on Tesco website and filled in. I thought the LOA that arrived was to do with that. It looked like a new complaint when it came. It was 18 months later by the same CMC. Didn’t realise this at the time as we had no correspondence from them in the whole 18 months.

The question is, did they submit the original complaint that has paid out or did the first complaint get rejected and now Tesco have given you a Plevin pay out (mentioning undisclosed commission)?

If the former, you will need to pay as they did their bit, if the latter and it's over 6 months you will probably have grounds to not pay but sending them a signed second LOA was a mistake
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    Jimp wrote: »
    Hi over 2yrs ago I instructed a firm called hidenda to pursue a claim for ppi insurance against Cardiff pinnacle insurance for a car loan i took out in 2006 . I was told I had taken out ppi and to fill out the form and return it to them, that was the last thing I have heard. I have tried contacting them to no avail. I was wondering if i could make the claim myself ?

This will be more complicated as you needed to complain to the firm that sold the PPI (the car dealership normally) not the insurer who didn't sell you anything.

If you complained 2 years ago then the complaint will likely be time barred if they responded (most likely rejecting it as not liable)
  • Nickip3
    Options
    To me it seems that CMC are trying to back track and sent the new LOA after realising this was paid out earlier in the year and knew they were out of date. From what I can tell from letters Tesco paid out on plevin
  • Bermonia
    Options
    Nikip3 if you are suggesting that CMCs are unscrupulous then you are spot on, however no one here can give you an answer on the limited information you have provided - you will need to wait for a final response from CMC or the 8 weeks to be up, at which point you can ask the Ombo to consider, they will review your testimony plus that of the CMCs along with any documents to make their decision.

Forget whatever Tesco may have told you as to if the CMC are entitled or not as quite frankly it is not their place to advise, they certainly aren’t qualified to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure