PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can shed be taken down?

Options

Comments

• Chihiro85
    Options
    This was very much my thinking when i heard they were rescinding permission. Obviously there are plenty more details on why I need space (I need to store tools and ladders for work in there as well as several bikes) but I didn’t really feel that my need for the space was a part of the issue here. Equally with regards to neighbours etc the shed is actually only overlooked by one neighbour and as I said, I did try to minimise impact by having a low sided shed.

I see this ones kicked up quite the debate and contrary to how it may have come across that was never the intention, just as my intention was never to upset a neighbour. I was simply trying to store equipment and bikes in a safe environment. And no, I certainly didn’t set out to mislead anyone when it came to permission. I answered all questions about the shed in great detail before hand, they never asked for dimensions so I simply assumed that as long as it met council planning guidelines (which someone has posted earlier) then it would be fine. Obviously if there are any government or council guidelines stating at what point a ‘shed’ becomes anything else then I am totally in the wrong.

Anyway, thank you all again for the advice, I will just have to see what the developer say as the HA are simply passing on what the developer have now decided.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    On the web site, the building is listed under sheds, but it's also specifically referred-to as a workshop. What distinguishes a workshop from a shed is something others can argue about if they wish, but I'm not convinced a bullet proof distinction can be achieved.

I feel that the if the HA wanted to impose limits, they should have stated what they were when the enquiry was made.
    I agree. The distinction between a 'shed' and a 'workshop' is the use to which the building is put, not a marketing description or other people's subjective view.

I have designed and built a 12x7.5 'shed'.... 12x7.5 metres that is. ;)

If the OP had constructed their building next to a swimming pool it could equally be called a 'changing room'.
    Chihiro85 wrote: »
    Can anyone advise on the legality of this? It seems absurd that we could have written permission from both the housing association and the developer and then be asked to take it down after we install the thing!
    The two things you could definitely have a problem with are (a) planning and (b) covenants.

If the building is relatively new then you need to check the developer hasn't attached covenants restricting what you can do. These may still apply even if you have been given permission, if for example the person giving you permission didn't have the authority to do so.

On the planning side it is possible the council have removed permitted development rights - to find out (yourself) you will need to find the planning consent for your house (it ought to be online) and trawl through the documents to find a 'consent notice' or 'S106 Agreement'. Either or both of these may include a reference to "permitted development rights" being removed. Alternatively you could contact your local council's planning office and ask. (but personally I'd try finding out for myself first)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Just to add a literal answer to your question "Can shed be taken down?"... obviously yes. But one option you might want to consider is that sheds of that size are usually sectional (e.g. the 14' side will be made up from two 7' panels) so it might be possible to reduce the size down to 10x7.

Subject to there being no issues with covenants or planning, you might want to look into this and perhaps negotiate agreement to retain the shed at a reduced size... this would at least mean you keep some of the storage space and don't have to sell/dump the whole thing.

If it is practical to reduce the size to 10x7 with minimal cost to you then this might give you leverage to get them to agree this size, rather than them insisting on something much smaller.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Sibz
    Sibz Posts: 389 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If they are being unreasonable about your shed you could replace it with a manure pile, just tell them it's their fault as previously you'd kept it in a suitable air-tight shed
  • newbutold
    Options
    Surely the developers can’t just remove permission because someone has complained, that really isn’t far.

If they were bothered about the size, they should of asked what size shed you were wanting to put up before giving permission or given permission but specified the max dimensions allowed.

They should reimburse you the cost of the shed and erecting it at the very least.
    If my posts have random wrong words, please blame the damn autocorrect not me :D
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 November 2018 at 1:04AM
    Options
    We had a 10x14 foot shed installed
    That's not a shed, it's the same size as the property that I live in...
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    just as my intention was never to upset a neighbour.

Fair enough, but
    We had a 10x14 foot shed installed that covered the entire width of our garden and a little under a third of the length.

Equally with regards to neighbours etc the shed is actually only overlooked by one neighbour

And you really didn't think to even mention to that neighbour that a third of your small garden would be taken up by an outbuilding which would block his view?
  • Sibz
    Options
    Slithery wrote: »
    That's not a shed, it's the same size as the property that I live in...

Surely you're either confusing feet for meters or posting from jail?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Sibz wrote: »
    Surely you're either confusing feet for meters or posting from jail?

My thought was to wonder if they're living in a "Tiny House".
  • Sibz
    Options
    And you really didn't think to even mention to that neighbour that a third of your small garden would be taken up by an outbuilding which would block his view?[/QUOTE]

The OP has posted that at it's highest the shed is about 7.5 feet - and slopes to that height.
    If the neighbour misses those views so much - he could build a viewing platform in his own garden rather than just assume he is going to be forever able to stare through someones garden space.

I'ts very common to have 6 foot fences around back gardens and those are right at the border, so by trajectory this shed is no more restrictive than that would be. Tbh if I had a neighbour that tried to demand that my garden never had a decent fence I'd be glad I built it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure