PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

what is the diff in horse carrots...?

Options

Comments

• twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    when the family were young we always bought a bag of carrots from the farm shop, they were unwashed and kept longer as well as being cheaper, you can layer them in a big pail with sand and they keep fine
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My daughter buys 'horse' carrots for her sons' pony and I'm always allowed to raid the sack. They are mis-shapes mostly - what most of us would call seconds but at that price, I'm quite happy to pick through them and take out the best. By the time they are peeled, I defy anyone to tell me whether they were 10 pence or £10 a kilo. Go for it, cooltrikerchick - I promise the ponies won't mind nor hold it against you!
  • rosh12
    rosh12 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    I passed a farm the other day selling pony carrots and wondered what they were... maybe they were a smaller version?!
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    i have re - arranged my freezers and i am going to buy a sack this afternoon..:eek: i think i might need a thread.... aptly names ....101 things to do with carrots ( clean suggestions only :rolleyes: )

with winter ...here in true frosty style ..... i think buying the carrots in bulk like this will be a good os / frugal saving as cassaroles...etc.... are cooked a few times a week this time of the year......

will let you know who i get on... and exactly how much in weight the nets were.....
    Work to live= not live to work
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    CTC, I peeled and boiled 2 kg of carrots yesterday, I'm going to mash them and freeze them....some with swede mixed in (you can use suede if it's all you have in stock :D ).

I find that when I just chop up carrots and serve them, Mr & Miss Twit eat a few pieces, when they are mashed, they eat more and so I get more veg into them. ;)
    Carrot cake would be scrummy.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    i think i might need a thread.... aptly names ....101 things to do with carrots ( clean suggestions only :rolleyes: )

Here you go - Oooodles of carrots.

Twink - we still buy *dirty carrots* from the Farm Shop. Somehow, they taste so much better than the washed ones, too ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    whatatwit wrote: »
    CTC, I peeled and boiled 2 kg of carrots yesterday, I'm going to mash them and freeze them....some with swede mixed in (you can use suede if it's all you have in stock :D ).

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :T :T :T

i am sure i have some hanging around somewhere in work ...lol....

good idea about the mash.. that way i coud add some suede ( swede ):cool:

into it.. as my family only eat it if it is disguised in casseroles... etc.....

also my dog loves eating raw carrots.....( and he's a size of a horse........we.. maybe a shetland pony ) plus i can grate some up for my chickens......

so they will not go to waist.... i mean waste.... ( doing it again ):cool:
  • trying-very-trying
    Options
    I've never seen the horse carrots, but I often get horse apples. A great big box for £1, and they're lovely.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    I've never seen the horse carrots, but I often get horse apples. A great big box for £1, and they're lovely.

can you give us more info on these... would love to know about them ..

thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family