Lowell Portfolio - chasing paid debt

Options
Some advice on what I can do would be much appreciated.

I paid a debt via my debit card for my ex partner back in October 2017. I quoted the reference number to Lowell and paid off the account in full. Turns out I have underpaid by £10 but that’s another issue.

7 months later, my ex has received a letter saying the full amount is still outstanding (not £10, the full £100+).

I checked my online banking and there is a debit for the amount I paid in the timeframe I remember paying so therefore Lowell received the monies but have obviously failed to allocate properly.

I have just emailed them the following. Was it the right thing to do? They have my money and my ex will still have to pay!

Good Afternoon,

I made a payment from my debit card for account reference XXXX quite awhile ago. However the person connected to the account has received a letter to say the payment is outstanding.

I understand you cannot discuss the details with me as it is not my account but could you tell me what evidence you need to prove payment was made. I have attached an image of my online bank statement proving payment was made. I do not have an account with you and I have not made payment for anyone else. I paid using the reference above. I believe someone in your call centre has incorrectly allocated the payment.

If my payment has not been passed to the reference account then I expect a refund of my money, or at the very least the correct allocation of funds, as I have paid you £X in good faith and it has obviously not been allocated as I expected. The account should actually be outstanding but only for £10.

If this is not going to happen then I would appreciate being told what your formal complaints process is so that I can take this matter further and also consult with the financial ombudsman. My money was provided to you for one purpose, to settle the above reference account and this has not been done. I have only just found out about this, granted the account holder may have known for longer but I made payment in October 2017, 7 months ago. This matter should be resolved already.

Please contact me by Friday 18th May so that we can try to resolve this error.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Looks fine.

Await their reply and keep us updated if you wish
  • cateuk
    cateuk Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you.

They responded saying they couldn!!!8217;t discuss the matter with me unless my ex gave permission. I repeated that I didn!!!8217;t need to discuss specifics, I was just asking what they considered proof. Again they responded stating I need to pass security - quite how I!!!8217;d do this when I don!!!8217;t have an account with them I don!!!8217;t know. I!!!8217;ve lodged a formal complaint and contacted the financial ombudsman!!!8217;s for advice.

I!!!8217;m really concerned that this is not going to be resolved and that my ex will pay again.

Any tips on dealing with this???
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    They are correct to a degree - if it's in your ex's name then they need to discuss with that person.

Even though you've paid
  • cateuk
    cateuk Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I guess, just think they are over complicating the matter. They only need to say what they accept as proof.

I really don!!!8217;t want to give them any of my details, don!!!8217;t trust them. Just fear that they!!!8217;ll argue he never paid and make him pay all over again which is really unfair.

Thanks for responding. I!!!8217;ll update if they respond.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Even if they told what they accept as proof, what would you do? If you send in proof they can't discuss it with you without permission, can't confirm the payment matches what they got, or how much has been underpaid or anything. The hot topic of GDPR means lots of these companies will be a lot more cautious for fear of causing a breach. Have you asked what they need from your ex to give you permission, and is you ex willing to do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure