Tesco Savings DDs

Comments

• mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Have mentioned it before but I opened a Halifax 0 interest for 29 months credit card, bought some things on it, and set up minimum payment DD. Should last 29 months! PS applied on website first - accepted but only 9 months interest free. Had to call them to get 29 months.
  • My council tax is paid over 12 months as well.
    Would be surprised if any councils didn't allow this.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    mt99 wrote: »
    I believe if you are on a 10 monthly council tax DD you have the legal right to ask them to change it to 12 monthly payments. That's what I was told anyway - no idea if it's true.
    My council tax is paid over 12 months as well.

You have a right to pay in 12 monthly instalments, but you cannot usually change mid-year - your council will be able to advise exactly when you can change. (it is often something like the first three weeks of the tax year).

Something to have in the diary for March if you've not already got 12 monthly payments.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    My council tax is paid over 12 months as well.
    mt99 wrote: »
    I believe if you are on a 10 monthly council tax DD you have the legal right to ask them to change it to 12 monthly payments. That's what I was told anyway - no idea if it's true.

I pay my council tax every month over 12 months. They don't promote it. Just give them a ring to set up.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,867
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    adindas wrote: »
    I think that is the forum for. If everyone is asked to read the T&C the forum will be empty.

I do not think this forum is leaded by a blind.
    Trying to send you a message to help.
    Are you blocking private messages in your settings?
  • 21k views so far (albeit non unique users) on this thread alone.

Add to that people like my O.H who don't view but I pass on bits and bobs.

Add to that the other threads where some of the advice is less than subtle.

And that some of the viewers will be employees of the said organisations either viewing socially or vocationally and advising the organisations appropriately.

All that will definitely have an affect IMO.

Cough......another one looks to have bitten the dust.
  • pavane
    pavane Posts: 155 Forumite
    Removing this service completely seems a bit extreme by Tesco. They should have reduced it to just one for the linked account only as many savings accounts do. If a very low "£1" was causing them a loss, stipulating a minimum would have done the trick. Now we go from one extreme to the other.
  • Now that Tesco Bank has decided it doesn't want to provide the oil via numerous direct debits to help all of us rate chasers, rate tarts and serial switchers and no easy alternatives available what happens next?

Even fewer people Switch accounts because its only a small percentage of the same people doing it, the banks who stipulated two or more direct debits might have to rethink or watch the market stagnate, the challenger banks like Metro seize the initiative and walk in offering more attractive deals and options than the old fashioned iron grip banks with their outdated business methods who have to offer even greater incentives for (genuine) Switchers (Yorkshire Bank £250!)

Personally I'm getting fed up with chasing up every penny of interest or incentives and letting it consume so much of my time. It was a good two and a half years starting with Yorkshire Bank multi account jamboree and look they are still begging for business!
  • djpailo wrote: »
    It depends on the respected account. Some require paying DD's every month, others stipulate "active" DDs which may mean the DD's only need to pull money once a year.
    Ah yeh my DDs for water and council tax are on Santander 123. Maybe their stipulations are not strict.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Personally I'm getting fed up with chasing up every penny of interest or incentives and letting it consume so much of my time.
    I'm not at that stage yet, having had all the incentives I'm likely to get, and because I'm largely automated with the interest/Reward paying accounts...but most of all as I have a Tesco alternative (that I've been using for a few months now...because I could see where it was going!).
    It was a good two and a half years starting with Yorkshire Bank multi account jamboree and look they are still begging for business!
    That's because, as you alluded to above, they've no more customers now than they had in late 2014/early 2015, despite parting with many 10s of £1,000s to draw them in. ;)

Rather than banks relaxing the DD payout requirement, I see the next move for the interest payers as one to 'utility/household' DDs only...and list them...as Santander & NatWest do for their cashback perk. That will be the end of multi-accounting as we know it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure