A pound stretching maternity

Comments

• MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 September 2016 at 9:44PM
    One thing I advise for your hospital bag is straws! A bit random, but my labour last time was pretty quick so nothing else got a look in. Straws were very handy when I was stuck on the bed, and Dh kept bringing me a glass of water. You can get so thirsty but it's a big hassle trying to sit up and have a drink when pushing a baby out!! :rotfl: we also had haribos (were for Dh as they're his favourites, but again he didn't have time to eat them) and they were fab for that little sugar boost straight afterwards. Jelly babies would be another option. I also enjoyed lucozade afterwards. The sport one was good initially, and then Dh brought in the proper stuff!

Wow......I've just realised that my hospital bag consisted of food and drink :rotfl:

Check sizes of newborn vets/bodysuits, a lot of them are up to around 7 1/2 lbs. Ds was over 9 lbs so as soon as the shops opened (ds was born during the night) Dh was in mothercare buying up to 10lbs things! It may be worth having one or 2 in, just in case.

Other than that......enjoy!! I took a very relaxed approach to labour, what happens happens type thing. I got to 10cm before really needing some pain relief with just breathing exercises. I concentrated on a clock with a second hand, and counted around 4-5 second for each in breath and 8-9 for out. I'd done a little yoga and very little natal hypnotherapy beforehand which really helped. Every labour and birth is different, though, and this time could be totally different for me!!
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • Eyebright
    Eyebright Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    These things are very helpful to know. :j:j:j

I'm definitely getting straws, sweeties and Lucozade then. I hadn't even considered bringing any food and drink items :rotfl: I need to make a list then of things to put in my hospital bag, both me and baba. I love a good list :cool:

A lot of the babgrows and vests etc I have bought have been 0-3 months. I only have a couple of newborn size as I'm paranoid that I'm going to have a big baby lol. I sincerely hope not, but there's not much I can do about it if she is!

It's raining here, that 'orrible fine drizzle. I'm really hoping my family will decide against going to the zoo now today.
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    1 debt vs 100 days #14 20/1000
    Saving for Christmas 2020 50/500
    EF Saving 285/500
  • MrsSave
    Not quite a nsd, but I'm happy with the spends.

£8.99 on a christening gift for a couple of weeks time, and £3.90 on 3 ice creams. Dh and I treated ds to the ice creams after he'd finished his first day in school! He loved it (school and ice cream!!) and says he wants to go again, so I'm a happy mummy tonight!

Managed 3 loads of washing (still plenty in the basket :eek:) and none went in the tumble dryer. I'm so impressed with myself :rotfl: The first 2 loads went out on the line, the third is in on the indoor clothes horse. I think it's the first time I haven't dried towels in the tumble dryer!

Dinner was a slow cooker dump meal. It was so easy. I threw all the defrosted bits from the bag into the slow cooker this morning, added 1 stock cube and a little water. An hour before dinner time I added some noodles. An easy, lovely dinner with only our plates and the slow cooker to wash up! There's some left, but will bulk it out with some extra veg tomorrow night.

I walked with ds to school today (though did drive to collect him) so actually did some exercise! I also did a bit from my pregnancy yoga DVD this evening. It's all broken up into sections, of up to around 10 minutes each, so doesn't feel like I'm doing loads. I ended up doing 3 different sections today so very pleased with myself :cool:

YNAB is all up to date, and all the accounts have been checked and money moved to the credit card spends account ready for the next statement. Payday is only 16 days away. That's come around quickly this month (she says now.........leave it a week, it'll probably feel like a lifetime away!!).

I finished next week's meal plan and shopping list ready for tomorrow night's shop and also managed to sort out 2 of the kitchen cupboards! Feeling very angelic tonight!!
  • Eyebright
    Wow, sounds like you have been a very busy bee! I'm going to look into these slow cooker dump bags, sounds like a great idea. :D
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    EF Saving 285/500
  • MrsSave
    The dump bags are so easy!

It was raining here first thing this morning, but seems to be drying up now so I'm hoping I can get another load of washing done and drying outside.

It won't be a nsd day today as I need to post a couple of things and don't have any stamps. We were going to have a walk to the post office which is around a mile and a half away, but ds has woken up a little emotional this morning so I think his first day at school tired him out a little. Even after an early night last night! I'm thinking for this week and next week we should keep our mornings relatively quiet to see how he is getting on. We'll probably walk to school though, which isn't far away.....probably just under half a mile.

I'll also be doing the food shop this evening after dinner. My plan is that by going this time thee may be some good yellow sticker bargains to be had (especially meat and bread). I've had real good luck going at this time before, so hoping today will be similar. There's no telling though! I figured if I find some reduced meat, I can make up some more dump bags with it straight away and freeze like that!

I've already checked the bank accounts and YNAB. Nothing has gone out today. Right, I'd better think about breakfast for my little man!
  • Eyebright
    Do you recommend any particular sites etc for these dump bags? Where do you get your recipes from?

Hope your little one is feeling better :)
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    EF Saving 285/500
  • MrsSave
    Eyebright wrote: »
    Do you recommend any particular sites etc for these dump bags? Where do you get your recipes from?

Hope your little one is feeling better :)

I found a facebook page that is just called 'Dump bags :)' There are loads of recipes there. There is a recipe folder and people post recipes under their pictures. That's all I've used so far. Basically, you could use any recipe though, and just throw the ingredients into the zip lock freezer bag.
  • MrsSave
    I found the bottom of the laundry basket! I think it has disappeared again now, but it was there for a little while! All today's washing went out on the line! I'm so proud of the fact that I haven't used the tumble dryer all week!

A couple of spends today. I needed to post a couple of cards, and that came to £1.30! Ds fell last night against a table and cut the inside of his mouth, he was fine shortly afterwards, but I had a look this morning and it had ulcered (is that a word??). We popped to the chemist after school to pick up some bonjela type thing, but the pharmacist recommended a teething gel as he said they're the same ingredients. He isn't a big fan of that being applied!!

I went to Tesco to do the food shop tonight. The budget was £35 and I came in at £30.95 (with a couple of extra treats - jam doughnuts and crumpets for the weekend). The £4.05 left over has gone into the 'treat' pot for any supermarket extras before next week's shop. There were next to no yellow sticker bargains to be had, so didn't benefit from anything! I also filled the car up with petrol. It came to £44.04, which I'm pleased with as I last filled up 2 weeks ago.

We had the rest of the Chinese beef and noodles from last night with veg. Quick and easy! Ds didn't eat much, but he's going through a funny phase with food where he refuses to eat anything a little different. He used to eat anything and everything. I'm a little harsh and if I know it is something he does like (like tonight) then I don't fuss over him at all,many he just doesn't have pudding or anything else before bed. He'll learn soon that he can't just eat the food he chooses. If it's something he's never eaten before then I'm a little softer and give him the benefit of the doubt!!

We've had a lovely day at home (with school in the middle of it). We opened a box of 4x42 piece jigsaws he had for his birthday and completed them all. He also wanted to go over some letters and write on a birthday card. I'm so chuffed that he wants to do these things and loves to learn.

YNAB and the bank accounts are up to date.

I'm guessing next week I'll only be working 1 day again. I did expect that for the first couple of weeks of term so I'm making the most of being home with my boy. Though, instead of work just being quiet, I'm still waiting to be fully set up with the agency!! Grrrrrrr! Ive chased them up already this week, may give them until beginning of next week now to see how things are going!
  • MrsSave
    I love being pregnant.

I love that before long I'll have a new baby in my arms.

I don't love the lack of sleep and the million toilet stops a night!

Also, I don't love waking up with a constant feeling that I've had a heavy night. The ridiculous thirst and the headache.

It hasn't been a good night! When the first toilet break is soon after midnight, you just know it's going to be a long night!!

Anyway, I may as well plan today!

I'm going to clean the bathroom and the downstairs loo this morning. They're the main housework jobs of the day (as well as the usual tidying, wiping worktops, washing up, etc). Dh is making dinner as I'm taking ds to his swimming lesson so we'll be late back. Dh did volunteer to make dinner last night as well until I explained to him that would mean making it 2 nights in a row. He soon changed his mind! I wish I could at times!!

I've already checked the bank accounts this morning. Dh's wages have gone in.

I'm aiming for today to be a nsd. The only shop I intend stepping foot in is matalan as I've got an order to collect. We'll do that after school on the way to swimming. Eeeek.....that order is the Christmas wrapping paper for my boys! It means that operation wrap can slowly commence before I get too big and uncomfortable!

Right, I may as well get up! I've already spent too long browsing the Internet (and found a lovely pair of Marco Tozzi boots.........reduced from £39.99 to £32........I cannot afford them. Maybe they could be a treat if I get some overtime in!!).
  • Eyebright
    Must be something in the water MrsSave as I was up 3 times in the night to the loo, and had a rubbish nights sleep. I've woke up this morning feeling like I've just finished a marathon! Sounds like you have got plenty on today, try and take it easy (easier said than done I know!!)

Still, last day of work for me this week, and family go home, so I can have a quiet weekend at home. I can finally start my diary and start planning and budgeting, yay!

Have a lovely day :)
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    EF Saving 285/500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts