In the nick of time

Options

Comments

• jodles16
    jodles16 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Boo/Yay to the extra shifts, a necessary evil! Boo to the lost purse, pleased the cards were safe though and your photies are safe!! Hopefully the lodger is just having a moment this week and I reckon you should increase the costs for airbnb with all you provide!

Jodles :D
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
  • debtfreeoneday
    debtfreeoneday Posts: 4,814 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear you lost your purse, it's horrible when that happens..

sounds like airbnb is going really well!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 April 2016 at 1:48PM
    Options
    Thanks Jodles and DFOD,

I'm quite a trusting person and believe people are generally good,,,,, but now and again you get a little reminder that is not always the case.. Thankfully (currently) no harm done except new purse needed new lippy and cards.. On that front Halif@x took only 48 hours to send me new cards. Fab service.

bnb guests noisy this time grrrrrr , laughing and giggling until 1am night before last and then last night 3am!! I will not be giving them a positive review,, in fact none at all ;) the joys I suppose. They'll be getting a knock on the door at midday if they are not awake.. we have another guest expected today :eek:

The money side of things though, it's earning money for doing very little. I did put a weekly and monthly price initially, the French booking is that reduced price (2 months £933) The guy that's coming in a week for 8 nights is paying the full price. airbnb changed the pricing system and I never updated the listing so that's an extra £70 :D:D
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    bnb guests arrived at 11am whilst I was out and other guests still in the room :eek: :eek: OH let them get changed in our bedroom :eek: :eek:

thankfully they seem a down to earth,,,,,, although they arrived this evening when I nipped to the shops and OH sleeping pre night shift!! They phoned me to say they couldn't get in. but DD2 took her headphones out to let them in, phew, and they had a carp day freezing at the event. I hope the local indian restaurant plays a blinder and saves the day.

First guests bought me roses as a thank you.. i'm so fickle and I fell for it (suckered :D) they didn't leave until 2pm.

On a lighter note I bought myself a new purse from charity shop. £2.99 and a new lipstick from asdoom for £2.48 also spent £30 on more food we didn't quite need, but will batch cook some slimming w@rld recipes after work tomorrow.
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 10 April 2016 at 1:54PM
    Options
    omg..that is SO rude. They need a poor review at least.

Glad you've got a new lippy..sounds like a bargain too. I also know what you mean about purses...as they are so often used I treasure mine, and keep them for years..especially if they are presents..

Just looking at your sig. Our mortgage is around yours. But I have this crazy plan to pay it off by 2021.. So you can imagine the OPs we need to make...seriously thinking about getting lodgers again..looking at Spare Room prices we'd be mad not to. Have to say though people not paying would make me think about evicting and getting a replacement!! :rotfl:
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Hi Brizzle, 2021 would be amazing for you ... and me :D

We would really have to cut out everything to be that quick.. working in the public sector I doubt I'll get many pay rises to throw at it.

But renting out the room , and using the money for mortgage/debt repayments is going to be huge for us. I don't want to do predictions or firm plans as I know I'm prone to change my mind. :D:D and TBH our lodger seems happy enough but you never know,
  • Moneyfordreams
    edited 11 April 2016 at 10:18PM
    Options
    Self fulfilling prophecy.... ok not quite , but DD1's MOT needs £290, she only has £150... here we go again :( I'd let her off with hundreds over the last few months.. I've told her I'm putting her to work. But I want the cash back too ;)

Although I should be grateful she hasn't found credit cards :)

Suppose I will take it out of the EF. :(

My OH half won £160 on the national so he gave me £80 I'll put that with my £8 annual interest from my ISA (grrr) towards my external hard drive costs, to return my photos.

Oh and while i'm at it. the greenhouse with all my OH little veggie plants got blown to bits in the plastic greenhouse and all died...

but everything else is lovely :D:D
  • Moneyfordreams
    edited 14 April 2016 at 8:26AM
    Options
    I had a unplanned day off yesterday as a colleague wanted a shift swap, but in today and off again tomorrow. My next day off after that will be next Saturday and that's without extra shifts :( I can't believe that people forget to ask for their birthdays off!!

Upcycled an old table yesterday to go into the bnb room. Our next guest is studying for an exam and asked if it had one. He arrives on Monday. Previous guest made a suggestion of an eating table up there so, little bit more outlay. I will get that back when the money arrives. The paint I used was pricey but seems to go a long way. With the couple of other things I haven't got round to doing cost per item will be around a £7 each for the paint. Or £60 in total for up cycled bedside cabinet, country style table and floor standing bathroom cabinet. :D:D There may be left over for DD1 to paint the desk she's just bought (although she's skint from her MOT and owes me £150... scratchy head emoji!!!)

Could do with a extra booking this weekend just to balance all of the weeks costs....

Will sort out the hard drive stuff tomorrow. The shop is 3 miles away so a good walk there and back on SW weigh day may help those lbs off.

Slow cooked beef goulash thingy yesterday, but then had a lovely walk with OH and a late lunch eating out. Picked what should have been the healthiest (and cheapest) thing on the menu but it came pan fried and oily. But we had a lovely time. They do a book swap shelf. I picked up Bill Clinton HUGE autobiography. I'll get to it when I've finished the The People v's O.J. Simpson. Since finding this forum I've only read one book.. as I'm always on here!! So beef goulash to take to work :D
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    I know it's a few posts back but I've only just caught up, fantastic reduction in figures :j
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Thanks ETE, If I work out what we have paid and multiply it to annual amount, we are going great guns... the problem lies with commitment. We have lived simply for so long and counted pennies its either habit or dull (depending on what I want to do :D).

That's were this diary focuses me. I knew I had to OP a bigger amount the 2 years before I started this diary, so I talked about it but never actually did it. I didn't know about @irbnb until October, from this forum and now its another income stream. :D

When the credit card and loan finish we will hopefully see fab inroads to the mortgage. September will bring more changes and DD2 Uni may require more support than planned.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback