PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018

Comments

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary

Mend - kitchen cupboard door & chairs for new owners :)

MrsSD

Did I miss a post? Have you finally sold your house? Are you coming back here? Where? When?
    We need details mrsSD!!!

Make do: used some leftover turkey bits for fajitas for tea tonight
    Mend: not sure - been doing lots of jobs but not sure if any of them are a mend!
    Minimise: the turkey from the freezer! I've also been cleaning the bilges on my boat - so many bits from the previous owner were kept for Justin but I'm gradually sorting them out and throwing most of it away as it's either too old or died in storage!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    silvasava, happy to oblige :rotfl:

The farmhouse in SW France was DM & DF’s retirement dream & they moved from Reading in 1992. Had an old attached barn converted into a 4 bedroom gite & started it as a business. The ‘dream’ lasted until January 1996 when after a bad divorce DSis moved in with her 5 year old son :o with attendant grandparent duties :rotfl: Sadly, DF passed away in 2007 & DM passed away just under a year later but DSis & DNeph stayed. (DH & I actually live in London)
    DNeph moved out & DSis was left on her own in a large house that eats money :eek: It has taken 8 years to sell & DH & I I have been helping her out financially & physically - 4 visits last year from two to four weeks at a time :eek: & this time around it will be over five weeks:eek:

DH & I have enjoyed 25 years of relatively cheap holidays, made lovely memories & some good friends :T:):) but not really improved our French beacause every one wants to practise their English :rotfl:

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • silvasava
    Ah - I remember you saying about trying to sell but thought you were living there. Pleased you've finally got a buyer and got things sorted. That's a major minimise!!!
    Hope everything goes well for you & DSis.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks silvasava :T I forgot to include the house/gite/land sale on the Decluttering Thread :rotfl:

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have been busy minimizing. DVD's and craft stuff have been taken to charity shop.
    In the garden I have cleared a couple of areas of weeds. The slugs have minimised the seedlings I've wanted too!!

I fixed a photo frame. The front had come off ages ago but is now fixed. It only took me about 10 minutes. I'm not sure why it's taken me a couple of years to do it.

Make do with the clothes I have. I'm determined to lose weight. I have enough clothes.
  • silvasava
    Talking to a friend a few days ago who works full time. She'd taken Tuesday off to clear some jobs & we were discussing how the niggling thoughts of jobs waiting to be done often takes more time than actually getting them done! She'd expected hers to take most of the day and she finished by 11!
    Reminder - the thought of cleaning inside my windows has taken weeks..........slinks away.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Mended : this morning found a clock in the spare room replaced the battery in it as it was dead now ticking away very well.:)

Minimised ; Said spare room of loads of stuff to make room for my sis-in-laws visit in a fortnight (bed had lots of stuff dumped on top ) my bad :)

Make do ; using up frozen pastry bits today to make a quiche, and also baking a fruit cake, some chocolate chip cookies , and probably some cherry scones to use up some of the 4 tubs of glace cherries I seem to have accumulated in the cupboard. I will also be filling my oven up with said cooking so no wasted oven space :):):)

JackieO xx
  • cafelady
    cafelady Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hello all

Minimised a packet of Vietnamese rice wrappers by giving them away on Olio last weekend.

Then yesterday, minimised a quarter loaf of unsliced bread which weekend visitors had brought to our house. DH wanted to sling it as it was getting stale but I made it into garlic croutons which 3 of them then had in a YS lentil and veg M&S soup I got for 40p. About 15p a head for lunch!

Then minimised some leftover hummus which same visitors had bought into today’s lunch.

Am about to make do with using leftover cream cheese into pasta for dinner instead of buying creme fraiche. Also adding some smoked salmon lurking in the freezer, and a small bag of spinach I must have blanched and frozen, when we didn’t get round to having it in salad. So, more minimising and making do there.

Mend - we replaced some horrible raised beds made from concrete roof tiles with one made from my son’s old single bed, which wasn’t fit to pass onto anyone. And we made a path around the new raised bed with nice old roof tiles that someone gave me a while ago and which have been cluttering up the garage for ages.
  • Wraithlady
    Wraithlady Posts: 856 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    HI,

Well, I'm definitely up for the 3 M's. so here's mine:

Make do - made Normandy pheasant for dinner - pheasant has been in the freezer for ages, and I'd forgotten about it - was going to be Pheasant Forestiere but didn't have any red wine, carrots or celery (can't stand celery anyway) so substituted cider, mushrooms and an apple.

Mend - an ongoing thing in my house. I've sorted out a jacket to fix and 2 blouses to repurpose, will do tonight as I watch TV

Minimise - I bit the bullet and filled 2 bags to go to the charity shop. Discovered stuff I didn't know I had, and can now actually move the hangers in my wardrobe!

Also repotted a sad chive plant got from the supermarket - reduced to 20p. Don't know if it will survive (I'm not exactly green-fingered), but it's got a better chance now than it did.
    2024 Fashion on the Ration - 10/66 coupons used
    Crafting 2024 - 1/9 items finished
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Wraithlady wrote: »
    HI,

Also repotted a sad chive plant got from the supermarket - reduced to 20p. Don't know if it will survive (I'm not exactly green-fingered), but it's got a better chance now than it did.

I cut the chives off my plant and freeze in a small pot when its getting too big .My neighbour gave me a cutting in a pot and its kept me in chives for almost two years Geat in the wintertime just getting some out a snipping into casseroles or soups
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure