Referendum: which way are you voting?

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Remain
    tara747 wrote: »

I know for a fact that's not related to Brexit. Fujitsu have been struggling in the UK for some time.

Also usual shoddy journalism by Bel Tel as the headline implies 1800 jobs are to go in NI, whereas its across the UK
  • motorguy
    Remain
    The irony is, all this turbulence in the value of the pound is down to the market not liking uncertainty.

Its not like the stock exchange have some special sage like gift to predict the future - its simply that at the moment they don't "like" sterling because its not a dead cert bet for them.

I think medium to long term Brexit will be a good thing. Lets not forget that we are best treated with mild distain in the EU and were pumping an awful lot of money in there to resolve other countries problems.

Short term, yes, there will be pain, but there will also be opportunities, and its looking for - and making the most of - those opportunities that will sort the sheep out from the goats in the local and UK mainland economy.

Likewise, looking for negatives only makes for a self fulfilling prophecy.

Europe has probably more to lose than we do by not working with us in a mutually palatable way in the future. They need to not forget that.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    tara747 wrote: »
    A one-off adjustment of about 20%? :eek: And that's assuming that the pound doesn't fall[/URL]

Yes. Are you old enough to remember 1992 and black Wednesday ? Petrol got a lot dearer. There wasn't any other obvious hardship. It was a one off blip in inflation. The pound settled at a lower level, then gradually came back up.

Check the Irish independent today - Hewlett Packard is cutting its work force. They, with dell and gateway, were one of the foundations of the Celtic tiger back in the 1990s. I've no doubt the uk will be making every sweetheart deal possible once it's no longer constrained by eu rules. As said above, it's the uncertainty that the investors don't like since it's all up in the air now. I think Brexit is an unnecessary disruption, but the truth is no one knows what's going to happen next.

Two republican minded work mates in Dublin this morning reckoned that a united Ireland with very close political links to Great Britain would be the ideal. Well, lads, that's what was on offer a hundred years ago before all that Easter 1916 stuff. That 20th century - what a waste of time, boys?
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    Remain
    I saw a slightly boggling assertion on the Beeb, that if the govt loses it's legal challenges against Brexit, it could appeal to the European court... ��
  • Yes. Are you old enough to remember 1992 and black Wednesday ? Petrol got a lot dearer. There wasn't any other obvious hardship. It was a one off blip in inflation. The pound settled at a lower level, then gradually came back up.

Seriously? Did you not have a mortgage at the time? I did and the interest rate soared and stayed high for quite some time.
  • qwert_yuiop
    Seriously? Did you not have a mortgage at the time? I did and the interest rate soared and stayed high for quite some time.

I appreciate it's a long time ago, but mortgage rates dropped after black Wednesday.
  • motorguy
    Remain

Mortgages werent to the scale then that they are now.

Theres no way they'd use that tool to that level now.
  • qwert_yuiop
    motorguy wrote: »
    Mortgages werent to the scale then that they are now.

Theres no way they'd use that tool to that level now.

Interest rates are so low these days that a small rise would make a big difference to an interest only loan.
    I also heard today that sales of expensive houses round Belfast have stopped, pending price cuts. Don't know how true it is - we'll find out soon enough.

Could be a messy couple of years in front of us.
  • motorguy
    Remain
    Interest rates are so low these days that a small rise would make a big difference to an interest only loan.
    I also heard today that sales of expensive houses round Belfast have stopped, pending price cuts. Don't know how true it is - we'll find out soon enough.

Could be a messy couple of years in front of us.

I've no doubt it will be. But i dont think we'll see a massive jump in interest rates.

I think Mark Carney will have a very tight grip on things, based on how he handles Canadas finances when he was in charge there.

Likewise, its very easy to look for the negatives and talk ourselves further into a hole.
  • qwert_yuiop
    edited 14 October 2016 at 8:15PM
    Well, vive la democratie. Wallonie, the French speaking region of southern Belgium, population 3 million, has vetoed the entire EU's trade deal with Canada.
    Perhaps that court action in Belfast last week will be able to stop Brexit after all? Well, no.

They weren't even going to reach a helping hand to their cousins in Montreal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport