IFA setting up a pension

Hi all,
I would be very grateful for your help.
I am a self employed dentist and have recently tasked an IFA with helping me set up a private pension.
After our initial consultation, he has come back to me today with an Aviva pension I was actually looking in to myself before I sort his advice, and is applying an initial charge of £3160 with an ongoing 0.75% charge yearly.

Is this fee reasonable?
Based on the limited information I've provided, is there anything stopping me backing out and setting this up myself or is an advisor really necessary?

It just seems a lot for me to pay when I would have ended up at the same destination anyway?
Many thanks for your help.

Comments

• Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Ask him what he's doing for that fee that you couldn't do for yourself - and point out that you had already looked at that fund for yourself.

Check what you are contractually obliged to pay him; if he's done a fact find etc then it is not unreasonable that he should be paid for his professional time.

I'm sure others will ask this, but do you do any NHS work? If so, have you joined the NHS pension scheme in respect of that?
  • Andymac1987
    Andymac1987 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for your reply.

Yes I have worked in the NHS but have recently joined a fully private practice so no longer pay in to my NHS pension.

I don't seem to have signed a contract with respect to his charges, indeed presenting me with the Aviva keyfacts was the first time I saw his fee and was expecting half that. I fully expect to remediate a professional for their time, and he has gained commison on changing my critical illness and professional insurance (which I also have some issues with).

If his fee is about normal for this sort of work, and his ongoing fee reflects some work behind the scenes to manage my portfolio in a way that I couldn't, I'd be happy to pay up and carry on with it, otherwise I feel like cancelling his during the cooling off period and just doing it myself. Is it reasonable to set up one's own pension?

Thanks again!
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    If it's just the Aviva stakeholder or personal pension, you can get that via Cavendish for a £35 setup fee and around 0.4% or so annual charge (depending on fund size), see https://www.cavendishonline.co.uk/pensions/stakeholder-and-personal-pensions/
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    After our initial consultation, he has come back to me today with an Aviva pension I was actually looking in to myself before I sort his advice, and is applying an initial charge of £3160 with an ongoing 0.75% charge yearly.

That is a high fee for just setting up a new personal pension. The ongoing is fair enough if you are using more advanced investment options but the initial is high.
    is there anything stopping me backing out and setting this up myself or is an advisor really necessary?
    An adviser is not necessary just like a dentist isnt. The key is to knowing what you are doing. If you want to DIY and DIY well, then you can save money. If you DIY badly, it can cost you more money.
    It just seems a lot for me to pay when I would have ended up at the same destination anyway?

What destination will that be?
    therwise I feel like cancelling his during the cooling off period and just doing it myself.

Do be aware that cancelling within the cancellation rights period avoids provider fees (which Aviva have no initial fees) but still leaves you liable for the advice fee.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • sandsy
    sandsy Posts: 1,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It's a dodgy IFA who doesn't give you charges information at the first meeting - it's actually a regulatory requirement!

Don't proceed with the product purchase with the idea of cancelling - as soon as you tell him to proceed, you'll be liable for his fee.
  • Andymac1987
    Andymac1987 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Many thanks for everyone's reply, you've all been immensely helpful.

I think I need to go back to him and explain the fees weren't discussed at the start and they were higher than I expected, and that I don't understand the benefit in going though him. Looking at what the advisor charges equate to over time is shocking!

Can anyone tell me if there is any reason why I shouldn't just go direct to Aviva, and what is the advantage of going through a broker like Cavendish or this IFA. He mentioned he "monitors" the fund but wouldn't that be done by the Aviva fund manager?

Thanks for your help again and sorry for my ignorance!
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Many thanks for everyone's reply, you've all been immensely helpful.

I think I need to go back to him and explain the fees weren't discussed at the start and they were higher than I expected, and that I don't understand the benefit in going though him. Looking at what the advisor charges equate to over time is shocking!

Can anyone tell me if there is any reason why I shouldn't just go direct to Aviva, and what is the advantage of going through a broker like Cavendish or this IFA. He mentioned he "monitors" the fund but wouldn't that be done by the Aviva fund manager?

Thanks for your help again and sorry for my ignorance!
    I don't think Aviva sell their pensions direct, you have to go through a middleman, eg an IFA or a broker.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 May 2018 at 11:46AM
    "Monitoring" the fund is a not worth 0.75% pa. You can either
    - pay for discretionary management of your portfolio (i.e. you give the IFA the right to decide what to invest in),
    - pay for a regular review of the portfolio.
    - manage the portfolio yourself with no professional support.

If you are a novice investor, you might want to pay for a full discretionay management service, or if you are somewhat confident but want to have an IFA undertake a regular (e.g. annual) review you might want to retain the IFA for this. 0.75% is cheap for a discretionary management service, but too much for an annual review.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Looking at what the advisor charges equate to over time is shocking!

However, be aware that if the adviser is running a bespoke portfolio then the returns could be higher as well. I gave someone an example of our portfolio after charges vs a low cost option and it had returned almost double the low cost option.

Charges always need to be in context. If you are put in a cheap fund then it doesn need ongoing servicing (unless you have other advice events). If you are in a bespoke portfolio it does.
    Can anyone tell me if there is any reason why I shouldn't just go direct to Aviva, and what is the advantage of going through a broker like Cavendish or this IFA.

Aviva's direct product has a higher charge than the IFA version. If you use Cavendish, you get the early 2000s product versions that do not support the pension freedoms of 2015 and are more expensive than their current product version.
    He mentioned he "monitors" the fund but wouldn't that be done by the Aviva fund manager?

No. Pension providers have no input on the investment selection. You either self-select, use the default (which tends to be a middle of the road fund easily beaten) or your adviser picks them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What would your IFA be doing for that 0.75%? Aviva has a fee schedule for "managing" your pension which is around 0.35% up to 200k and then you'll be paying fund fees too which are 0.35% for one of their ready made funds so you are looking at a headwind of about 1.5% for a pretty simple pension.........no wonder UK investors often think the system is rigged.....because it is. Everyone gets a pound of your flesh.

As a comparison on my US equivalent of a private pension with Vanguard I pay 0.04% a year in fees.

Now if the fees you pay provide you with convenience you might think they are worth it, but they cannot be guaranteed to provide you with superior returns. Of course the industry that gets those fees has to justify them, and it's up to you to judge the validity of those justifications.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure