IVA taking 60% of CSA payments

Good evening all this is my first post and I’m after some advice please. My ex partner is currently enrolled in a IVA And part of the terms of the IVA are that she must apply for CSA despite us having a mutual agreement (I see my daughter every weekend and every time I’m on leave, roughly 160 days a year) and have done for the last two years. The IVA a people are insisting that she must apply for CSA and once I pay CSA they are to take 60% of the monies from the CSA in order to contribute to my ex partners debt. My question now is, is this legal? How can they justify disadvantaging my daughter by 60% per month when any CSA money is for the upkeep of my daughter and not to be used to clear off that that belongs to my ex partner of which I am not financially attached. It all seems very strange how this IVA company can take into account money from the CSA as a income for my ex partner when in actual fact it’s not her income it’s my daughters for her support, hence the name “Child support”.

Any help and or advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you.

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Sounds like a dodgy outfit operating on the vulnerability of your child's mum.
    Child support is not classed as income so it shouldn't affect the IVA ,, though it's not always wide to go on one.
  • Also to add to the thread that I Financially support my daughter (without the need for CSA’s involment) by paying for things like clothes, food, days out, holidays etc so my daughter certainly doesn’t go without.
  • To add further information the company who is running the IVA is called Aperture and looking at their reviews on google they do look like a dodgy outfit!

Any help would be greatly appreciated
  • Child support is classed as income. If you were paying money to your ex for your child beforehand, that is also classed as income and would also be included in the Iva. What the Iva advisors do, is to fairly look at how much your ex is spending monthly, without going overboard on spending. Including what she spends on her daughter. Learning to live frugally is the key.
  • If she hasn’t been clear that she already received maintenance from you, this would be why the Iva advisors are advising her to claim from you via the CSA.
  • Does this count if we had an arrangement where I didn’t pay money to her but paid for things for my daughter (as if we were still together type of thing)?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure