Home Insurance Discussion

Comments

• Large saving from quoted Tesco Policy Renewal for Home Insurance, using comparisons in suggested order by MSE, Money Supermarket best for me, and I like the control you get over future contact (ie you have to opt in).
  • We were getting a quote for our home insurance, when we noticed that we were under a different category due to the fact that we installed solar panels. How do we factor this into the FIT? how much should we keep on paying for doing the right thing?
  • Fonque
    Fonque Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I took out Contents Insurance with LV last year for £51.65
    This year they wanted to renew and put up the price to £67.30.
    I am now with Admiral for a slightly better cover and a cheaper price £44.58
    Do not make any sudden moves.
  • I've had recurring problems with a shower fitted when I bought my home five years ago. It's leaked through all external seals which I've fixed myself as they've occurred but now the problem has got a lot worse. Whenever the shower is switched on there is a steady stream of water flowing down the wall in the dining room below... not good! As this is something unrelated to the seals as they're all fine and its caused quite significant damage to the plaster work and carpet has started to smell also. Do you think i can claim off my home insurance for this?

I've never done a claim before and I'm loathe to do it but I just can't afford to fix the damn thing myself which is quite distressing.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Lindzeth wrote: »
    I've had recurring problems with a shower fitted when I bought my home five years ago. It's leaked through all external seals which I've fixed myself as they've occurred but now the problem has got a lot worse. Whenever the shower is switched on there is a steady stream of water flowing down the wall in the dining room below... not good! As this is something unrelated to the seals as they're all fine and its caused quite significant damage to the plaster work and carpet has started to smell also. Do you think i can claim off my home insurance for this?

I've never done a claim before and I'm loathe to do it but I just can't afford to fix the damn thing myself which is quite distressing.

It will depend on the exact wording of your policy, but the damage caused by the leak will probably be covered.

Two points, though:

1 There's always the risk with any claim that it might end up costing you more in increased premiums than the value of the claim itself.

2 The policy is unlikely to cover the cost of dealing with the shower itself.
  • Doc_N wrote: »
    It will depend on the exact wording of your policy, but the damage caused by the leak will probably be covered.

Two points, though:

1 There's always the risk with any claim that it might end up costing you more in increased premiums than the value of the claim itself.

2 The policy is unlikely to cover the cost of dealing with the shower itself.

I've just had a home insurance policy renewal and I notice they've doubled the "Escape of Water " clause and I haven't claimed or anything ?
  • Suzy_P
    Suzy_P Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Martin,
    Thanks for the tips on buying home insurance. My provider (Axa) decided to almost double my insurance this year, so I followed your advice and have saved over £700!!!!!
    The insurance cover is almost the same, I just dropped one or two unimportant bits.
    Thank you so much
    Sue
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I usually change insurers every year - to benefit from cashback via Quidco
    The last 12 months - I have had cover through L&G - Who I am now having incredible problems with - trying to get them to remove AUTO RENEW from my policy
    I have sent them SECURE web messages via their website - I have emailed them on [EMAIL="customer.relations@landg.com"]customer.relations@landg.com[/EMAIL] but can't get a response from them
    Anyone got any ideas ?
    Failing that - when my new policy starts in 12 days time - if they try to charge me - I may have to use charge back on my debit card ?
    MORAL - AVOID L and G !
  • Hi,

I'm about to purchase a property. It is a flat in a block and the freeholder pays buildings insurance. However, as I own the flat I will be responsible for the internal pipes and electrics of my flat. Contents insurance wouldn't cover my kitchen fittings needing replacing and calling out a plumber for a bunch of internal burst pipes.

So how do I insure for this? Can/do I get buildings insurance for my flat as well, even though the block is insured? Would personal building insurance be valid if I claimed because my pipes burst and damaged my Kitchen fittings but the block claimed on their insurance because my pipes damaged communal areas of the building? I'm a bit confused.

Thanks in advance.
  • murphydavid
    murphydavid Posts: 832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 January 2019 at 10:59AM
    TM37 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm about to purchase a property. It is a flat in a block and the freeholder pays buildings insurance. However, as I own the flat I will be responsible for the internal pipes and electrics of my flat. Contents insurance wouldn't cover my kitchen fittings needing replacing and calling out a plumber for a bunch of internal burst pipes.

So how do I insure for this? Can/do I get buildings insurance for my flat as well, even though the block is insured? Would personal building insurance be valid if I claimed because my pipes burst and damaged my Kitchen fittings but the block claimed on their insurance because my pipes damaged communal areas of the building? I'm a bit confused.

Thanks in advance.

My take on this is your solicitor (or you yourself) should definitely get a copy of the freeholders insurance terms and a written agreement of how he intends to proceed regarding renewal. Terms of insurance fluctuate not only between companies and policies but also every time they are renewed each year. Once you know what you are already covered for you can get a quote for the remainder which logically would be Home contents including emergency call out; Personal liability and Legal expenses. Also, if you have not already done so, you should carefully consider if you have to pay the freeholder a regular maintenance fee, How much it is and most important if there is a legal mechanism to prevent it being disproportionately increased at renewal. It sounds like there will be if he is responsible for part of your insurance.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback