Utility room units

Hiya,

We've knocked a doorway through our kitchen into our outhouse and we're turning it into a utility room (separated by a door).

The back wall, where the washer and dryer are going to be is 202cm wide and the wall down the side with a window and where the belfast sink is going is 242cm.

So, we'll be having a base unit on one side of the washer and then on the other side, hopefully a corner unit that runs round to the belfast sink.

Above the base units, we want two cupboards separated by a hanging rail (for ironed shirts etc).

Our quote from Howdens came to £1600 which seems a lot to me considering the amount of space.

I like the look of IKEA units but have been warned about the sizing.

Basically, does anyone have any tips on getting these units and worktop for less than £800? Our builder is fitting them as part of the job.

Thanks

Comments

• tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    B and Q or wickes off the shelf units........
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Try DIY kitchens online.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Had a look online for second hand? Loads of nearly new ones available, perfectly adequate for a utility room.

(Make sure you insulate the outhouse by the way, converted ones can be particularly unpleasant)
  • Rexxel
    Rexxel Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Had a look online for second hand? Loads of nearly new ones available, perfectly adequate for a utility room.

(Make sure you insulate the outhouse by the way, converted ones can be particularly unpleasant)

Thanks! I'll have a look around on Gumtree/Ebay etc.

Ah yeah, we're having it insulated and boarded and all that. We're putting a radiator in there too which should hopefully help with the freezing kitchen in winter!
  • Good stuff, usually an afterthought until you go in there in winter! Line the entire inside in slab-style insulation like rockwool, it'll be warmer than the main house!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Rexxel wrote: »
    Hiya,

We've knocked a doorway through our kitchen into our outhouse and we're turning it into a utility room (separated by a door).

The back wall, where the washer and dryer are going to be is 202cm wide and the wall down the side with a window and where the belfast sink is going is 242cm.

So, we'll be having a base unit on one side of the washer and then on the other side, hopefully a corner unit that runs round to the belfast sink.

Above the base units, we want two cupboards separated by a hanging rail (for ironed shirts etc).

Our quote from Howdens came to £1600 which seems a lot to me considering the amount of space.

I like the look of IKEA units but have been warned about the sizing.

Basically, does anyone have any tips on getting these units and worktop for less than £800? Our builder is fitting them as part of the job.

Thanks

If you want a corner unit, 2 appliances that is 1.8m no room for any base unit each side the appliances

even with a washer dryer/stack that's 1.2m with a corner, leaving room for 2x400mm units.
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I second the DIY Kitchens online recommendation by Pinkshoes.
    The units come pre-assembled to save a lot of time, they are available in colours to match the doors so you don't need end panels- saving money and plenty of size widths to choose from. The plinths and corner posts are also reasonable priced.
  • getmore4less
    Thinking about it if you have 2.42m on the wall with the sink won't you be able to fit the appliances each side of the sink, simplified plumbing.

do you really need that amount of work top with both runs?

with full hight units with a gap it would be neater more storage(ironing board, brooms etc.) and then you can get a double rail between them rather than just one between wall units.
  • getmore4less
    A good option in a utility is a Victorian airer.
  • Rexxel
    Rexxel Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Thinking about it if you have 2.42m on the wall with the sink won't you be able to fit the appliances each side of the sink, simplified plumbing.

do you really need that amount of work top with both runs?

with full hight units with a gap it would be neater more storage(ironing board, brooms etc.) and then you can get a double rail between them rather than just one between wall units.

Unfortunately, the plumbing side of it has been done now so i don't think the washer and dryer are movable :eek:

Thanks though, i hadn't even thought about full height!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure