PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• hedgesparrow
    Options
    I don't know much about it as I have only been a member for a year and don't do that much shopping there. Like you it is walking distance so we tend to do top up shops there when it isn't worth the money driving to a bigger store. Once I got the card you just use it like a tesco card but I didn't really use it that much (kept forgetting) so was surprised when I got sent £4 in £1 vouchers in the post. You can spend these vouchers without having to spend a minimum amount so we spent £4 on £13 of shopping but I think we could have just spent £3.99 and got it all free.

I am definately going to try to remember better to use the card this year and see how many more vouchers I get! They do send me other post (including a ballot form) but I haven't had time to read it yet. Maybe someone out there has more info than me? Cause I would be interested to know how it works more in detail too.
    Grocery Challenge £114.22/ £110
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    I've had 2 NSDs thanks to work :D I'll be spending about £2 tonight at Lidl on soy milk, bananas and the veg offers. My approved food order is arriving today(lots of bread mixes and tinned fruit and olives) but I haven't included it in the GC as it's such a big buy that will last me months, wish the LLoyd Grossman sauces were up when I ordered :( Would anyone include that in their GC?
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    off to lidl later this afternoon to pick up some of the offers

then will do my main shop on thursday ( day off)
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Most courgette soups I see are creamy. This one isn't, so it's healthier (and nicer, imo!) - and easily adapted to be syn free on Slimming World, for those who do it :D

Ingredients:
    • 30g/ 1oz butter
    • 1 onion, finely chopped
    • 1-2 cloves of garlic, chopped/ crushed
    • 375-400gm of courgette, coarsely grated
    • 1pt of (vegetable) stock
    • 1 400/440gm can of chopped tomatoes (I used about 500+ grams of fresh tomatoes, skinned and mushed slightly)
    • optional - good squeeze of tomato pureee
    • optional - 1-2 tbsp of chopped fresh herbs
    • salt and pepper
    • optional - 60ml double cream and basil leaves to garnish :)
    Method
    • In a medium- large saucepan, soften onion and garlic in butter (frylight and a splash of water for SW syn free-ness!)
    • Add courgette and cook for further 4-5 minutes
    • Add stock (I used 1/2 a very old veg stock cube and a small block of chicken stock because I've got lots and made it up to the required volume) and tomatoes. Also add tomato puree if using
    • Bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes
    • Add salt and pepper to taste (I don't salt, just use lots of fresh black pepper) Add herbs if using
    • Serve in bowls, garnished with a spoonful of cream in the middle and a basil leaf or two on top (I don't do this bit, either!)
    I've been making this for about 20 years - good way of using gluts of tomatoes and courgettes that I have. I also grate and freeze courgette to make it in the winter.

Can be blitzed to make a smooth soup, but I like the lumps (small). Goes well with hunks of bread, but I've got some next to me in one of those large bowl/ mug things. Can also be reduced (or add less stock) for a pasta sauce - great with flakes of smoked bacon stirred in (also nice with a spoonful of cream stirred in the pasta sauce if you're not watching the calories!)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning folks, spent another £4.80 but on the face of things not doing to badly, cupboards and freezer are still well stocked, have put through a shopping for Tesco to be delivered on the 2nd October, and adding to it as I come across things we need for next month. I am really pleased i have joined this challenge as I now think twice as to whether we really need anything, and the amount of wastage has reduced dramatically. May just scrape through - I probably would have just been ok had I left the budget at £450 for this month but hey ho at least there is a structure to evrything now!
    Suzy
    Every days a School day!
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Small spend today

£1 at Mr S and £1.46 on onions, broccoli and cumin from the Turkish supermarket.

Updated signature :-)
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Updating my siggy and still well within target.I had a conditional spend for Mr T so used every voucher I could in the one shop to get £10.70 off my £40 shop.Mind you if was a bit of a squeeze shoe horning the meat into the freezer.DD has home ec homework tonight- make a family meal so she's on gammon and leek pie with carrots,beans and roast potatoes, should be fun.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    greent - your lush Courgette and Tomato soup is now in the recipe index :T
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    £15.85 spent on Approved Food website this morning. Have already updated signature :-)
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • Lindy_-_Loo
    Options
    our final day of this months challenge on friday and I think we may come in uner budget! Maybe monthly shopping will work fr us.

Saturday and sunday this week in netto they have 375g boxex of weetos for 89p instead of £2
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport