NST Penny Pinching GoSober Stoptober

Comments

• Shrewbie
    Shrewbie Posts: 711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hi thrifty, I am going to try your spending freeze. We have more than enough in the cupboards to last 7 days.... and after a €20 spending spree in primark today on boring necessities I now have €30 to last me 11 days until payday. So freeze I will. :snow_grin

Reporting 3/15 NSDs from earlier in the week.

Have an awesome weekend turtles!
    Student loan £5849
    House deposit €18K/€40k
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,864 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi all,
    Sorry I didn't manage to get on yesterday. Had a late night Thursday (in bed after midnight) and needed to get up at 6am as needed to wash hair before work, so by mid-morning I was really feeling it! As such I didn't take lunch in, just some fruit for snacks, so ended up buying a s/w from Gregg$ and also colleagues sw as she was interviewing over the lunchtime period. She had no cash so hopefully she will pay me back on Monday.
    Had the girls round for curry last night and went to Ts on the way home to buy a readymade lasagne for the children and a bottle of red and a bottle of prosecco. I don't drink either but thought I'd better get some in just in case. Good job too as 2nd person through the door came empty handed including no cash for takeaway or my fundraising raffle! It got worse in that same guest managed to smash a (nearly) whole bottle of someone elses white wine when helping herself from the fridge. In bed for 1.15am
    Had breakfast out with old friends this morning, which meant getting up at 8am so flagging a bit now. DD has friends round this evening and has spent the day out in London so I'm not too pleased that I've had the pleasure of tidying up the kitchen and dining room single-handedly today. Sorry I'm being a moaner but really!!
    Have meal planned for the week and just did a weekly shop which included party food for tonight.
    Weighed and measured DS2 today and his BMI is really high so I've said we will go for a walk tomorrow. I just want to instill in him the need to eat healthily and exercise to protect his health going forward. Hopefully if it's just us out tomorrow we can have a sensible chat about it.
    Have a good evening all,
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill 1/24
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 October 2018 at 6:12PM
    Challenge – Do more self-care. Still doing my 365 days of self care journal and 365 tiny love challenges. Have booked a floatation tank for Monday for one hour. First time I have used one, so it should be interesting.
    Organise. This I must to. Have been fine. Done a big food shop today so hopefully most of it will last me quite a while.
    Regular budget Budget done.
    No Spend Days 5/20. Was a spend day. Food shop, buddy box from mh support organisation, floatation, donation and 2 fleeces from my favourite shop. Also top up oyster card and tv mag. Downshifted on 2 items. Also brought fruit at a fruit and veg stall for £3 which is great for what I got.
    Exercise Did park run. Walked it in 52 minutes and 31 seconds.
    Christmas This is already sorted. Have put money into a savings account each month for the year. Immediate family all get money. Christmas will be a difficult time for me so I will concentrate on self-care. Usually I spend time around my sister’s. Will have to wait to see what the plans are for this year.
    Banned - Was fine today. Brought a flask of tea with me to see a play at a local theatre.
    Extra Income Will be doing surveys when possible. Done a survey today.
    Report - Reporting in.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 7 October 2018 at 9:03AM
    A challenge for you - anything you could change to the positive or give up for October? My plan is to re-start bodycoach during Oct, before then I plan on cutting down to one sweet treat/ day maximum :o:o - .

Organise. . I'm also taking the opportunity to use up those things which have been lurking in the freezer/ cupboard and are now exposed! OH is actually on board with this this weekend! :T

Regular budget CCs all paid off in full (one is in credit!) Money gone to savings ac and ISA.Big spend today.... booked a week away at half term. OH also nipped to shop for a couple of things Running totals Spends: Groceries £61.95. Clothing £35. Xmas 6.98

No Spend Days. Still 2. Holiday + Tesc0

Improvise. -

Exercise Four times a week at least Nope - re cold

Christmas Will plan this out this month

Banned Takeaways, coffee shops, chippys, etc. - have social budget. Will include a meal out for OH's bday. Running total £10.70

Extra Income Running total £41.44

Report in, here :)

Thankful for speaking to DS1 and DD in their respective uni places and both seem happy :T, being able to book a holiday, my wrist hurting less today, soft tissues with balm in! :D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • plumduff55
    plumduff55 Posts: 868 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Well, I did think I was coming on here to post my 3rd NSD and then I remembered I had bought something online at 7 o'clock this morning so I'm still on NSD2 :o

ORGANISE - I did spend 2 hours this morning getting car insurance quotes and realise I must organise my car paperwork. It took ages going through papers to find out the info needed. Definitely a task for next week.

EXERCISE - I went for a walk after lunch. It was lovely in the sunshine although a bit chilly.

CHRISTMAS - My online purchase at 7am was a Unicorn dress and leggings for dgd. It had 20% off in the Debenhams sale. These fluffy/furry boleros seem to be in fashion just now so I'll get wool and knit dgd a matching bolero.

I'm not doing very well with the NSDs this month and I'll be spending tomorrow as well :(
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • Thrifty - I like the ham idea! I didn't realise that it could be frozen! It's just strawberries and things but I do have some frozen that I can use :) I usually go swimming every other Thursday as well but that is only £3 but will make sure that I take a drink and snacks for after rather than buying. I have got lots of food in the cupboard and pasta and things. I am going to fuel the car up tomorrow so fingers crossed I won't need to spend.

Got a cough :( spent most of the night up coughing. My neck is hurting too :( think I might need a nice hot bath.

Challenge - Had raspberries and a banana on my porridge this morning, salad and jacket pot for lunch and a nice fruit salad :)
    Organise - Went to a baby group this morning with my son, we get vouchers for it so that didn't cost anything and he got a snack while he was there. I took a drink each for us and a packet of crisps each too so I wasn't tempted to pop to the shops.
    No Spend Days - NSD today 3/15
    Improvise. Make do and mend with a creative twist - None today
    Exercise Four times a week at least - None today.
    Christmas - Will wrap them bits I got the other dayand update the list.
    Banned Takeaways, coffee shops, chippys, pie shops, vending machines, sandwich bars etc. - None :)
    Extra Income or Extra time for the time poor - None today, but am making a bit of time for myself again this evening, chilling watching Netflix
    Report in - Hello!
    Read my diaryHere :)
  • Evening all. :coffee:
    Semi productive day. Didn't manage to catch up with bestie unfortunately but I did get a lot of me time and spent most of the day relaxing. I am trying not to feel guilty about the fact that when I got changed it was into a clean pair of pyjamas. :D
    Got some work done for the exam board, and a bit of school stuff. Then spent time finishing a hat I've been asked to make, and started the second one I've been asked to do.
    Stopped burying my head in the sand about Christmas and started thinking of cheap but useful pressies that I can get for the kids. I haven't gotten very far but at least I'm doing something about it. Can't run away from that for ever.
    Whilst I didn't go out I did do a quick exercise session just for the sake of keeping partly active. Also bagged a nsd so not bad all in all...
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Today I am grateful for dd being happy with her performance in an entrance exam, for headspace, for a good book, for my knitting, for dd gathering in our neighbour's sopping wet washing to rinse it and dry it for them - and she put a note through their door so that they don't think that someone has stolen their clothes!, for dh agreeing that he needs to eat more veggies, for getting the mortgage into the 18s, for finding some rugby on the box this afternoon, for having the fairy lights on (we left them up from dd's bday in Jan!), for a lovely hot epsom salt bath.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Lovely day out but very tiring. All traffic except for police cars and ambulances were banned from the city centre (good) but this meant that we were dropped off by the coach by the anglican cathedral and had to walk down (serious slopes) to the city centre.

More by accident than design we stumbled across the parade route. We only saw one Giant but it was the giantest giant of them all and was truly impressive. Much bigger than we expected - sitting on a huge lorry with two men operating cranes from behind, two people on the cranes with ropes (running up and down a metal ladder when they needed to change places), two dangling from ropes 'playing with' the giant and four more people hauling ropes at the front all to provide various movements. A team of about 30 puppeteers to swap over as needed, 3 back up vans with additional power/ resources.

Stayed where we were (flat against the inside of the pavement) for about 1/4 of an hour waiting for the crowd to disperse. Finding somewhere to have lunch was fun (we had taken sandwiches but both felt the need for toilet facilities and to sit down properly).

The first place had an hour's wait just to get a table, couple of other places had no space (although we did get to use their toilets (staff member saw mum's walker), identified a few people leaving but was beaten in the race to nab their tables and the grab a table and then steal (no asking) any chairs you think are available. Small train station only had a disabled loo and baby changing facilities upstairs. Did better in the restaurant at Lime Street station.

Pottered around for a while with frequent sit down breaks, weather was cool but sun shone all day. Stopped for hot chocolate at the 'bombed out church' which was having an open day and admired/ was amused/ appalled by a couple of the pieces of sculpture on display. Will definitely take a closer look on another trip but we both struggled with walking today and were very relieved to get back to the coach (not the only ones, many found the slopes challenging).

Today I am grateful for a pleasant day out, the overwhelming helpfulness and courtesy of the majority of people even when rammed together like sardines and for being home (messy though it is).
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 765 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Managed to bag myself NSD #5. I don't need anything tomorrow but I am off to Aldi for a few things to see me through the extra challenge :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure