Car loan.......................£4,652.35 - WAS £5,083.70 8.4% DECREASE
    CC1.............................£4,639.03 - WAS £4,685.90 1% DECREASE
    CC2............................£2,690.78 - WAS £2,755.7 2.4% DECREASE
    Overdraft.....................£311.84 - WAS £386 19% DECREASE
    Other debt..................£453 - SAME
    IOUs............................£88 - WAS £92 4.3% DECREASE
    CC3.............................£1,706.72 - WAS 1,457.85 17% INCREASE
    Total unsecured debts........£14,489.88 WAS 14,914.15 2.8% DECREASE

I reformatted ATS's financials to make it easier for me to visualise and keep track of.

--

I am strangely looking forward to the month of September and our renewed MSE mindset. I think ATS's idea of a cash box and a 'float' is a good one and should enable us to track exactly where our money is going. My personal goal for the month is to reduced my overdraft my 50% via selling stuff. ATS helped my list 2 items on ebay today and if they sell for the asking price, I will more than meet my goal. So fingers crossed.

Decluttering is going well. I have a small pile of things destined for the charity shop and I also need to clean the backyard and do a run to the tip.

Today ATS prepped some firewood. I am hoping that we can survive on our wood store for a while before we need to start using the heating. If we can make a bit more room in the garage, I will try and source some more free wood.

No other news (that I can think of) We had a nice and cheap-ish day out yesterday. Just paid £3.30 for parking and maybe £10ish on food (ATS can give accurate figures)
    • Mortgage over-payments to date: = £16,746
    • Original redemption date: August 2043
    • Current redemption date: July 2041
    • Debt: £15,930
    • Savings: £12,430
  • Monday has rolled around again. ATS and I had a lovely weekend away belatedly celebrating our tenth anniversary. On the one hand, I don't want to think about the money we spent because it was our first weekend away together in six years and reducing it to pounds and pence might take the shine off it a bit. On the other hand, we started a diary so as not to bury our heads in the sand anymore... Maybe I will let ATS decide, but with the disclaimer that whatever the cost, it was worth it to spend some time alone together.

The eBay items we listed last weekend sold for £240 before fees :j But the buyers haven't paid or contacted yet :mad: It is not enough to pay off my overdraft, which has crept back up to £339 but is certainly very welcome. I still have £20 of books to sell and maybe I can dig out some other bits that might sell.

I believe that ATS gets paid on Friday and will do the money hokey-cokey then. I hope our net position improves.
  • Morning to you both and happy new shiny diary.

Many congratulations on your wedding anniversary xx
  • Morning to you both and happy new shiny diary.

Many congratulations on your wedding anniversary xx

Dear Purplemomof2,

Thank you for kind wishes! It's been a rollercoaster 10 years but we are looking forward to the next 10 next :rotfl:
  • Small victory today. Our energy company is reducing our monthly DD by £9 per month.

The cash box / spend recording is going well. I am almost looking forward to reckoning it at the end of the month so that we can have an accurate and up to date SOA. What a saddo :/
  • Super quick check-in.

ATS has still not been paid yet... :mad:

The final eBay sale has been paid for and the balance of my overdraft is now -£125.

STILL need to sell the books!!!
  • Got paid today, so here's where it all stands now.

Debt position:

Car loan.......................£4,666.81
    CC1.............................£4,592.64
    CC2............................£2,560.92
    Overdraft.....................£260
    Other debt..................£453 - SAME
    IOUs............................£81
    CC3.............................£1,384.91
    Total unsecured debts........£13,999.28 - about 6% down.

Cash position:

There's £280 in the cash box. I can put another £250 when I get paid again at the end of next week. That £530 needs to last till the mid October pay day. Ideally for everything. We need to think that anything that doesn't come out of the cashbox is a negative impact on the debt position. There is no other money in the bank/due to be paid before then that isn't assigned to essential bills.

Extra spending:

The anniversary weekend came in closer to £300 than the £200-£250 than I had aimed for, but it was well worth it. We had a lovely time, and given that it was the first chance to spend the weekend alone together in six years, I doubt we'll be repeating it anytime soon.

For the October holiday I've booked the airport hotel but not the parking, so that needs to be done.

I also conceded to the weather and bought myself a pair of trousers (I've been in shorts since the last ones did back in the spring).

Mid distance spending:

- October holiday - parking and spending cash
    - DD birthday (also October)
    - Car fixes that PBS already flagged
    - December - house insurance
    - And then there's Christmas...

To do:

Post ebay stuff.

I think that's it.
  • PiggyBankShaker
    PiggyBankShaker Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 22 September 2018 at 11:28AM
    Car loan...........................£4,666.81 WAS £5,083.70 8.4% DECREASE
    CC1.................................£4,592.64 WAS £4,685.90 2% DECREASE
    CC2.................................£2,560.92 WAS £2,755.70 7% DECREASE
    Overdraft.........................£150 WAS £386 61% DECREASE
    Other debt.......................£453 - SAME
    IOUs................................£81 - WAS £92 4.3% DECREASE
    CC3.................................£1,384.91 WAS £1,457.85 5% DECREASE
    Total unsecured debts.....£13,889.28 - 6.9% DECREASE

--

The month's not over yet so we still have our day to day spending to add up (thanks to ATS's cash box system) but I feel that we have stopped haemorrhaging money. Don't get me wrong, we're still spending (I spent £55 at the hairdressers yesterday) but things are more under control.
  • Pay day again (I get two a month).

I've put the money in to the three accounts for all the bills for all of September. I then put £100 on CC3 (the one currently attracting interest). And at the end of that I have a grand total of £275 left.
    So I can put the £250 in the cashbox as per last post. The good new there is that there is still £142.37 in the cashbox from last week, so I do think it is helping to keep a lid on things.

I'll be tallying up all the September spending on the weekend so we can really get a look at where everything is gone.

Here's roughly where we'll be at debt-wise once the monies I've just shoved about the place go out to the various debt providers

Car loan £4,235.46
    CC1 £4,548.64
    CC2 £2,640.14
    CC3 £1,323.44
    IOUs £67.00
    Other debt £453.00
    Overdraft £180.00

Total £13,447.68

Which I reckon will put us about 9.8% down overall by the end of the month.

When I get paid in the mid-month, the following needs to come from that:

DD birthday (gifts and party - maybe £100-200, depending on what she wants to do)
    Holiday spending (Should be cheaper than recent holidays due to destination, maybe £700)
    £250 cashbox

Anything else can go on debt repayments (if the above is stuck to, then could be £500)

Then at the end of October, I'll do the same as today, which will again mean all the bills paid, plus £100 on debt payments and £250 for the cash box.

November there isn't any planned excess spending (I think), so if we don't go overboard on anything, we could get the CC3 credit card (intended for emergencies only) to nothing at mid Nov spending date. We can then tackle the overdraft, IOUs and 'Other debt' next.

December will be Home insurance (~£200), and of course, Christmas - which is a subject of current discussion.
  • PiggyBankShaker
    PiggyBankShaker Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 13 December 2018 at 8:55PM
    The diary has been quiet but ATS and I have been keeping a spending tracker for the last three months and have a much better idea where our cash goes. Either tonight or tomorrow I'll do an updated SOA with these figures and also get ATS to update our debt figures. He has been paying down the minimum balances each month, but we've had some unexpected expenses (vet bills and a broken cooker) that have had to go on the CC. It doesn't feel like we are making progress, but hopefully, we aren't falling behind either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts