Am I worried about nothing?

Options
Basically I failed to send a request for information for a customer and then got an email today reminded that the request for information is overdue and has to be in by the middle of next week. I sent it today to all departments, I apologised and asked them to send the information ASAP. If I fail to meet the deadline will my company get fined?

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Fined for what, exactly? Are you talking about a statutory requirement such as FOI or GDPR? There isn't much to go on here!
  • re14796
    re14796 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    So it is to do with the gdpr. A customer has requested all the information we hold.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    If you fail to meet the legal deadline then yes, you may be reported to the ICO and they may fine your employer for doing so. Nobody can tell you whether that will happen or not.
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    But you haven't missed the deadline yet. Sounds like it may be worth you doing a bit of personal charm with the departments who have to provide you with the data, to ensure it is ready in time...........:D
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • re14796
    re14796 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    I will definitely get some of the information before the deadline maybe not all of it
  • WibblyGirly
    Options
    If it is a request for information that your company holds then it is an FOI, GDPR is different.

Where I work, if a request goes late then it's late, nothing happens. If the requester complains to the ICO then the ICO redirect them back to us to request an internal review. The ICO are swamped right now so nothing will happen simply because it went out late.
  • Me2you
    Me2you Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    What is GDPR?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it is a request for information that your company holds then it is an FOI, GDPR is different.

It doesn't seem likely to be FOI, as companies are not generally bound by FOI rules (which usually apply to public bodies). The Right of Access provisions of GDPR serve much the same function for companies.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/right-of-access/
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I will definitely get some of the information before the deadline maybe not all of it

Why might you not to be able to get all of it?
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options

Where I work, if a request goes late then it's late, nothing happens. If the requester complains to the ICO then the ICO redirect them back to us to request an internal review. The ICO are swamped right now so nothing will happen simply because it went out late.

Nope. FOI is for public bodies. This is a Data Subject Access Request and it is a new provision under GDPR.

OP yes this is serious and yes your organisation is at risk of a fine if the only reason for the delay in providing the information is that you failed to action the request when you should have done. You do need to ask all departments to pull out all the stops to get this to you in time. Will some of the data need to be redacted? If so, you will need to build tons in for this
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure