PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Shared access - odd question.

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Smodlet wrote: »
    What money said! Are you sure you are not paraphrasing just a little, YBE?

It seems to me location is not of paramount concern to you. Your reasons are your own but speaking from experience (I think money might agree with this) if this is the case, the country is your oyster. You need to decide what you must have, would like to have and what you would not touch with a bargepole; you can put iffy access on that list right now, I think.

We went from our dream home (within a very precise location where very, very few houses ever come up for sale and three streets from where I was born) to "Where can we afford a house big enough for all the stuff we have accumulated and are not willing to get rid of?" It was an experience I would not wish on my worst enemy but you have to deal with what life throws at you, however much it sucks. I know I am incredibly lucky to have my wonderful hubby; I don't think I could have done what money did and done it on my own but then, I would never have been in a position to get a sniff of my dream house without him anyway.

As it is, you have the means to buy a house; a reasonably decent one in a fairly reasonable area. You just need to decide where: Scotland? No? Already narrowed it down... Unless Scotland is on your list! I ruled it out purely because of the heating bills...

If it helps, just do what I did and put your criteria into RM and draw a search area. Ours was pretty large, I'll tell ya. You soon learn to weed stuff out and the crime map is a useful tool but not as good as streetcheck. HTH.

Depends where in Scotland. http://www.sheap-ltd.co.uk/advantages
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 October 2018 at 4:28PM
    the crime map is a useful tool but not as good as streetcheck. HTH.
    Gosh, there was one crime in my village during August and everyone here is white, except for an Asian chap.

Not pointing the finger, of course, but statistics never lie..... ;)

I don't like the way the police have put the crime blob quite close to my house and nowhere near his. They're obviously terrified of a racial hate crime backlash.......

P.S. Where is the % of people speaking estuary English filter?
  • Davesnave
    Forumite
    Scotland? No? I ruled it out purely because of the heating bills....
    The west coast is wet, rather than cold. Like Cornwall, it suffers from being rather a long way from everything else.

That, and the midges, ruled it out for us.
  • Smodlet wrote: »
    I know I am incredibly lucky to have my wonderful hubby; I don't think I could have done what money did and done it on my own but then, I would never have been in a position to get a sniff of my dream house without him anyway.

:rotfl:You and every single person I can think of wonders why Money (ie myself) did what I did:rotfl:

I spent the first couple of years here thinking "I had no idea just how different things could be in the same country. Should I have stayed in a damp Victorian house I should have long since moved from/with a tiny kitchen (and I'm a cook) and only a courtyard garden (and I'm a gardener) and put up with all the traffic fumes starting to affect my health and the unsafe layout of my last house?"

But one gets on with things when there is no logical alternative/makes friends/turns the house into "London style" - and keeps fingers crossed for a lottery or premium bond win#shrugs shoulders.

One makes the best of what circumstances have presented themselves imo.

But I hope OP does manage to find the right house for them in their first choice location - fingers crossed.

Nice to see there are some marrieds who do understand how different life can be for single people - it's appreciated that you do.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Gosh, there was one crime in my village during August and everyone here is white, except for an Asian chap.

Not pointing the finger, of course, but statistics never lie..... ;)

I don't like the way the police have put the crime blob quite close to my house and nowhere near his. They're obviously terrified of a racial hate crime backlash.......

P.S. Where is the % of people speaking estuary English filter?

Really not sure where you are going with this, Davesnave. Are you attempting irony? Think I am missing something.

You jammy, jammy sod; one crime?

Someone posted a link to that streetcheck thingy the other week and I checked it out and compared it to where I used to live. When I clicked on the "crime" tab for where I used to live, it came up with nothing in the last year. I believe that because there was nothing in the eleven years we lived there.

That is just one of myriad reasons why nowhere else will ever be good enough for me. One has to make the best of what life deals out though, right?
  • Davesnave
    Forumite
    Really not sure where you are going with this, Davesnave. Are you attempting irony? Think I am missing something.

You jammy, jammy sod; one crime?
    I think I was indicating that raw data on its own might mean different things to different people, so although the figures are correct, my reaction was, of course, ridiculously OTT. I'm good friends with the Asian gentleman, who's been here much, much longer than me

The number ofof Estuary English speakers here was one of the first things I noticed after 40 years away. I first came to the area from London 60 years ago, when I had to crack the local lingo pretty sharpish or stand out a mile at junior school.Love it. No one cares about accents now.

Yes, one crime..... shoplifting....and we only have one shop!:rotfl:
  • Smodlet
    Forumite
    :rotfl:You and every single person I can think of wonders why Money (ie myself) did what I did:rotfl:

Nice to see there are some marrieds who do understand how different life can be for single people - it's appreciated that you do.

I still remember what shopping for one was like - no bulk buying, no point, no space, never use it before it went off; having to go home from work alone to an empty flat; having no-one to ask when I did not know how to do something (internet not a thing then) and just missing the feeling of being that bit safer in my own home, walking down the street, all of that.

You are a survivor, Money and have done stuff I could not dream of. You might still find the one... They will need to be fairly adaptable by now, I think ;) OH had his work cut out back then, believe me. I know I am blessed.
  • Smodlet
    Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I think I was indicating that raw data on its own might mean different things to different people, so although the figures are correct, my reaction was, of course, ridiculously OTT. I'm good friends with the Asian gentleman, who's been here much, much longer than me

The number ofof Estuary English speakers here was one of the first things I noticed after 40 years away. I first came to the area from London 60 years ago, when I had to crack the local lingo pretty sharpish or stand out a mile at junior school.Love it. No one cares about accents now.

Yes, one crime..... shoplifting....and we only have one shop!:rotfl:

Sure, particulars are not indicated, given crime maps/stats have to be so vague to protect the guilty. Numbers don't lie, they only give an indication of how many crimes go unreported, imho. Don't see what the race thing has to do with anything. Pretty much all white around here. Far more mixed race in my home town where we felt much safer.
  • Smodlet wrote: »
    I still remember what shopping for one was like - no bulk buying, no point, no space, never use it before it went off; having to go home from work alone to an empty flat; having no-one to ask when I did not know how to do something (internet not a thing then) and just missing the feeling of being that bit safer in my own home, walking down the street, all of that.

You are a survivor, Money and have done stuff I could not dream of. You might still find the one... They will need to be fairly adaptable by now, I think ;) OH had his work cut out back then, believe me. I know I am blessed.

God you make living alone sound like torture, I can assure you its frequently amazing and I bet money will agree there are definite advantages! :rotfl:
  • Davesnave
    Forumite
    Don't see what the race thing has to do with anything.
    It's in the stats. Anyone seeing those might be forgiven for thinking they indicate a closed, interbred sort of community like it was 50 years ago. In reality, roughly half the villagers are incomers from all over the country; it just doesn't show. :(

New people are welcomed, because folk mostly realise diversity is the key to living in a lively, happy place, rather than a rural museum. No one cares where you're from, so long as bills are paid and you volunteer for something ....anything! We are very short staffed...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure