Inland revenue clearance

2»

Comments

• HHarry
    HHarry Posts: 883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just for reference..

I've just done my Mum's (which did have an IHT bill) - I got a letter from HMRC acknowledging the tax paid to date, which said that if we hadn't heard anything in 12 weeks we could consider our submission to be Ok.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thank you for your replies.
    Would you be able to give me an idea of what I should say in a letter to them please?

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Exactly what 'clearance' from HMRC are they waiting for, as you understand the term 'clearance' to normally apply to inheritance tax which is obviously not due in this case?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Also even if some debts are not quite known why cannot an interim payment be made?[/FONT]
  • Thank you for your replies.
    Would you be able to give me an idea of what I should say in a letter to them please?
    Something like "It is approaching the end of the executor's year and I would appreciate knowing when the estate is likely to be distributed? Thanks in anticipation."
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Something like "It is approaching the end of the executor's year and I would appreciate knowing when the estate is likely to be distributed? Thanks in anticipation."

I would add a lot more rather than just give them the opportunity to stall.

It is approaching the end of the executor's year and I believe you should now be able to to be distribute the estate.

I have been told that you are waiting for HMRC clearance but this would not seem to be relevant in the case of an estate well under the IHT limit.
    In any case at worst, you should now be in a position to release funds with some withheld until you have checked that HMRC is satisfied, if you think this is necessary.

So, i have two questions;
    1. Is there any reason you cannot send an interim payment immediately, and

2. Please confirm how much tax if any you are withholding for the time being and the timescale to release those funds.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2018 at 8:01PM
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    I would add a lot more rather than just give them the opportunity to stall.
    Start with what I said and then follow it up 14 days later with something firmer. No point in antagonising them straight off. The objective is cooperation NOT confrontation.
  • Thank you, you've been really helpful and I will follow your advice.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Do post back how it goes OP, always useful for future readers to see a conclusion
  • Yes, I will update. I have a feeling I may need more advice before this is sorted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure