Smart home

Is anyone using any smart home systems? I'm already using a couple of Amazon Alexa speakers and have an Amazon Fire TV stick. I'm also thinking about installing some lights that can be controlled via Alexa (Philips Hue??) and either Hive or Nest for heating control, via Alexa of course.

Does anyone have any advice or insights to give?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,288
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Oh dear. Although in the article they say the doors can be opened in other ways?

I do think some of that is probably hysterical tabloid reporting.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,288
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    The point is that nothings totally reliable , hives also had problems in the past with updates
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Absolutely. But the same is true for non-smart things. Normal door locks break too, or the people who use them leave their keys in hotel rooms hundreds of miles away (not speaking from personal experience or anything :o).
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,522
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Absolutely. But the same is true for non-smart things. Normal door locks break too, or the people who use them leave their keys in hotel rooms hundreds of miles away (not speaking from personal experience or anything :o).

Also not speaking from personal experience but key safes can address that "oh !!!!!!" moment when you hear the door click behind you whilst frantically patting pockets.

I've no experience of the systems - my initial thoughts would be about how easy/difficult to install discretely (and where). And do I want Amazon linked in with everything.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 11,958
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've got smart TP link light bulbs and smart plugs around the house. They are controlled by Alexa linked to the Kasa app. I find them / it extremely useful.

My setup will be regarded as at the extreme low level of what's possible. Suits me.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,772
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Is anyone using any smart home systems? I'm already using a couple of Amazon Alexa speakers and have an Amazon Fire TV stick. I'm also thinking about installing some lights that can be controlled via Alexa (Philips Hue??) and either Hive or Nest for heating control, via Alexa of course.

Does anyone have any advice or insights to give?

Thanks!!

Go for it, although I don't like Amazon stuff, (each to their own), I use Google Home and find the whole thing just works.
    It's quite nice and convenient having the lights and heating controls to hand wherever you are.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,669
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    smart home stuff?? Not with a bargepole, IMHO. IoT hacking has been on the rise (CCTV cameras anyone??) and I think is set to be a growth area...
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    GunJack wrote: »
    smart home stuff?? Not with a bargepole, IMHO. IoT hacking has been on the rise (CCTV cameras anyone??) and I think is set to be a growth area...

CCTV cameras aren't hacked, they are just viewed because people put them onto open ip addresses. You are right that IOT hacking probably is a growth area so people need to be aware and secure their network properly.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,772
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    GunJack wrote: »
    Imagine if the same had been said of PC's? Actually, I think it was..:)
    As I said, each to their own, but, the genie is well and truly out of the bottle.
    Most of the hacking has been to companies with public facing IOT's.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills