Ebay VAT 20% ?

I have just realised I have been paying 20% VAT on my selling account (EBAY). I can't understand the paper work on ebay. Can anyone explain please. I am not a business seller and only post to the UK. Ebay have said I can fill in an exempt form is this right ? can anyone advise please.

Comments

• It's easier to tell you what you don't pay VAT on in the UK than what you do.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    CHARLIE wrote: »
    I have just realised I have been paying 20% VAT on my selling account (EBAY). I can't understand the paper work on ebay. Can anyone explain please. I am not a business seller and only post to the UK. Ebay have said I can fill in an exempt form is this right ? can anyone advise please.

You pay VAT on services/goods when they are supplied by a company/person who is registered for VAT.

When you go into John Lewis, you are paying VAT on the items you buy, when you pay your mobile phone bill you are paying VAT to the mobile phone company.....why do you think eBay is different?
  • Maybe you are referring to the fact that they stopped charging VAT on private accounts when they moved their UK headquarters to Luxemburg to avoid paying tax allegedly, but due to BREXIT companies are having to move back which is why tax revenue in the UK is rapidly going up at the moment.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Maybe you are referring to the fact that they stopped charging VAT on private accounts when they moved their UK headquarters to Luxemburg to avoid paying tax allegedly, but due to BREXIT companies are having to move back which is why tax revenue in the UK is rapidly going up at the moment.

It wasn't due to Brexit that eBay changed how they charge VAT, it was because they should not have been reversing charging individuals in the first place.
  • It wasn't due to Brexit that eBay changed how they charge VAT, it was because they should not have been reversing charging individuals in the first place.
    Come on, literally everything is due to BREXIT, everyone knows that. ;)
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Damn Brexit... Caused it to rain today :(
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Damn Brexit... Caused it to rain today :(

Rainy days and Sundays "May" get you down
  • Come on, literally everything is due to BREXIT, everyone knows that. ;)

A moment of madness, sorry, I forgot.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,019 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    An exempt form is for someone who would be exempt from paying VAT in the UK, you aren't one, so no, they aren't right.

Posting to the UK only is not relevant, the VAT is charged on Ebay's fees, nothing to do with what or how you sell.
  • This_Year
    This_Year Posts: 1,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Ebay have said I can fill in an exempt form is this right ?

eBay cs will swear that donkeys can fly if it will get you off the phone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure