Tesco Bank won't pay me because I'm in the USA

I am a UK expat now living in the USA.

I filed a claim for PPI using Resolver and Tesco bank approved the claim and said they owed me 2,800. They sent the paperwork to my parents address in the UK.

I called Tesco bank and explained I'm in the USA, I don't have a UK bank account and asked for an international bank transfer. Tesco bank told me they couldn't do that.

I then asked if they'd write a check to my father who would pay it into his UK bank account and we'd handle the transfer. Tesco bank said they couldn't do that, it had to be a check to me.

I then said I'd accept a check mailed to me in the USA and I'd pay the fee my bank would ask for. Tesco bank said they couldn't send me a check as they needed proof of ID, original photo ID (no copies) with my name and address on.

I am certainly not going to send my drivers license to the UK.

Can anyone help me out with advice?

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Will they not accept some form of sworn letter from a lawyer or similar along with a scan of proof of ID?

Also if you are an ex-pat, please use cheque, not the horrible US "check" ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Why not?

Would a new Drivers Licence cost you £2,800 if it was lost?

Didn't think so..
  • Just wondering, as you are now living in the US do you have a UK driving licence and a US one?

Personally I would photocopy my driving licence and then just send the original to Tesco, has to be worth it for that amount of money.

Part of me is simply wondering why you didn't just use your parents' address and get them to forward it to you with the next batch of post.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

Part of me is simply wondering why you didn't just use your parents' address and get them to forward it to you with the next batch of post.

Seems the easiest option.
  • Nasqueron
    Just wondering, as you are now living in the US do you have a UK driving licence and a US one?

Personally I would photocopy my driving licence and then just send the original to Tesco, has to be worth it for that amount of money.

OP stated Tesco will not accept a copy of ID

I'm not sure though why the OP cannot open a UK bank account (just a very basic online one like Monzo or Starling) and get the money done by BACS or something - or get them to approve his parents paying in the cheque in the UK, then transfer the money.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    OP stated Tesco will not accept a copy of ID
    Enterprise didn't suggest otherwise ;)
  • Nasqueron
    Enterprise didn't suggest otherwise ;)

The wording of Enterprise's post states

"send the original"

I don't see how you would read that any other way that that poster suggesting the OP send their actual driving license to the UK which OP clearly stated in their first post that they were unwilling to do.
    Not sure why you think this helps resolve the OP's problem?
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yet another 'this is what the bank/BS want as proof of ID but I'm not prepared to do that' thread.

OP ball is in your court. They now know that you are not currently a UK resident and there don't have a valid UK address so the only way of getting your money is either jump through their hoops to achieve it or come back to the UK and collect in person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure