AutoAid Car Breakdown Discussion

Comments

• The_Goose
    The_Goose Posts: 44 Forumite
    No, price per se is not my concern, as I agree it is still competitive.

I intend to contact them to clarify this £5 "renewal charge".
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Check the website and see for yourself the current cost of a year's cover!
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The_Goose wrote: »
    No, price per se is not my concern, as I agree it is still competitive.

I intend to contact them to clarify this £5 "renewal charge".
    You would pay £48.31 to renew. How that breaks down (no pun intended) is irrelevant.
  • The_Goose
    KTF wrote: »
    You would pay £48.31 to renew. How that breaks down (no pun intended) is irrelevant.

Why is it irrelevant?

The website says I can JOIN for £48.31, so clearly that does not include a "Policy Renewal Charge" as I would not be renewing!
  • KTF
    Forumite
    Why is it irrelevant?

The website says I can JOIN for £48.31, so clearly that does not include a "Policy Renewal Charge" as I would not be renewing!
    Its irrelevant because the total price is all that matters.

The £48.31 shown on their site may include a 'new policyholder fee' but they are not required to show that in broken down format like they are for the renewals.

I agree that the wording of the renewal payment is poor but the end cost is the same so it really makes no difference as you pay the same as a new customer regardless.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Why is it irrelevant?

So what have they said about the £5 charge when you spoke to them? It sounds very might like it's bad working in their messaging - it's not really a renewal charge in the sense they are charging you to renew, but its the difference between last years cost and this years. Perhaps they should have just called it 'YoY price difference' ?
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• The_Goose
    Well I just phoned them.

They say that this £5 is an "admin charge" for renewing.
  • KTF
    Forumite
    Well I just phoned them.

They say that this £5 is an "admin charge" for renewing.
    Ok, so don't renew then sign up again as a new customer and pay exactly the same amount if it makes you feel better.

You can get 15 months for the price of 12 if you sign up using this link: http://www.silvertap.com/autoaid/
  • The_Goose
    When I said that the total was the same as I would pay as a new customer, they said the price had gone up to £48.31.

So when I asked if I would have to pay £53.31 to renew next year, they didn't seem to know what I was talking about.

I give up.
  • The_Goose
    edited 9 August 2018 at 2:36PM
    KTF wrote: »
    Ok, so don't renew then sign up again as a new customer and pay exactly the same amount if it makes you feel better.

You can get 15 months for the price of 12 if you sign up using this link: http://www.silvertap.com/autoaid/

I know about that, but it's for "new customers only" and I would not feel comfortable doing it.

I'm just going to renew. I think they need to make their pricing policy clearer, however.

I will see what happens next year!

ETA: In fact, I only paid £39 last year as I had a Groupon offer. But they say in the renewal email that I paid £43.31 .....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback