My journey to a debt free life

Options

Comments

• Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    If it was me, I would go into the bank and explain that it is an account that you no longer use and therefore don't have debit card etc. and ask if you can withdraw it or transfer it to another account. I would think if you take ID such as passport, driving licence etc that would prove who you are. don't mention the DMP and see if you can get the money back before they realise or take the money. If not, at least you know you have paid £200 towards your debts.
    Do you not have online banking still with it? If you did, then you could transfer it yourself.
    I’m going to go in on Tuesday and see if I can sort it out,i don’t have any ID that a bank would accept though,no driving licence no passport,all I have is the account details and a bill with my address on, I do have a birth certificate but most places won’t accept them as ID,£100 of it came from my emergency fund but the rest came out of my current account,I’ve just checked that and the payment has gone through from the vet but I now have no money left in my current account,luckily all my bills are already paid,good job my mum gave me that £200 yesterday :eek:
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Was going to say can you still access it with online banking? Annoying though!

I used to ride as a teen and until I fell pregnant with my daughter at 24. My daughter rode from age 6 until just before Xmas (so age 13) but she lost interest. I would love to go back to it, but finding time is hard and it is super costly and thee is always more important things to pay for. I have ridden a few times with my daughter on holiday (galloping down a beach on the isle of Mull was awesome) but found that I was less enthusiastic than I thought I would be? Itseems that being older I enjoyed it less thank remembered? Ah, maybeoneday,I obviously don't miss it as much as I think or I would find a way for it to happen.
    I can’t access the online banking because I’m locked out and to get back in I need my debit card which I destroyed last week,I kept it for a whole month just in case and the minute it’s gone this happens,it’s so annoying,but like Ploppy says I’ve paid £200 off my debt now if I can’t get it back
    I’m not as crazy about riding now as I was when I was younger,back then I would ride everyday and loved all of it even the mucking out but now I’m older it is really hard work, I love my weekly lesson or hack but I don’t think I would buy my own horse again as the work involved would be too much,this way I spend one day with my horse and then the rest of the time someone else has to sort him out:rotfl:
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Well we have snow part two today,its been snowing all night and all day andis about ankle deep now,Im probaby going to have to walk to work again tomorrow because the buses will be cancelled ,they have closed one of the main routes into the city already so a lot of the nurses I work with cant get into work tonight as they all live out in rural villages,there are lots of volunteers with 4x4s who helped last time so they are going to pick some people up,I cant believe we have got it this bad again,where the hell is spring
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Sitting here this evening Im quite liking the idea that £200 might have been paid off my debt,I cant make up my mind whether to go to the bank to try and get it back or just leave it in there,my bills are all paid and I only have a week to go until payday........cant decide what to do
  • Onebrokelady
    edited 20 March 2018 at 10:34PM
    Options
    Phew another busy day here today it was my day to babysit my DGS so he was here all day,he wasnt on top form though as he is teething so a bit grumpy today,he did have lots of naps though which gave me time to clean the house and get some washing done, Then we went to my slimming world meeting,I havent been for a couple of weeks and was worried I had put on but I had actually lost a pound which put me bang on target,I was very surprised at this because I havent been very well behaved lately,I need to quit messing around and stick to the plan
    Ive decided to leave the £184 in my old bank account and treat it as a debt payment off my OD,£100 of it was from my emergency fund which currently stands at £300 and £84 came out of my current account,Ive checked the account and the payment has gone through and I still have £2 in my account,all the bills are paid and I have the money that my mum gave me so Im not broke,I get paid in 6 days so its not a complete disaster, I also now have £100 saved for Xmas which Im really chuffed about,I never have money put aside for Xmas it just goes on my card,this year I am determined to pay for it up front ,I also have the £40 cheque from the water company to pay in to the bank on Thursday too,I dont know if I need to let SC know about the extra payment off my debt or not I dont suppose it really matters as it will just get paid off a bit quicker
  • Onebrokelady
    edited 24 March 2018 at 3:43PM
    Options
    Day off today after a very stressful day at work yesterday I woke up feeling very down and with a massive headache,my moods lately have been way out of control so Ive been back to my GP and gone back on my anti depressants,I came off them back in October but I have steadily gone downhill since then so Ive given in and gone back to taking them.I cant live with the depression and mood swings being as bad as they have been,I still feel low but the anti Ds take the edge off it all
    Ive also come to the conclusion that I need to make myself be more proactive,lately I!!!8217;m getting up on my day off and sitting here on the iPad looking at the internet,I get the bare minimum done around the house but its not up to the standard I would normally do,this isnt helping with my mood so its got to stop,from now on I am being Mrs Proactive and getting stuff done, so far today I have
    Walked the dog
    Cleaned the kitchen
    Done the Everest high mountain of ironing
    Two loads of washing
    Ive yet to clean out the chickens but Im having my lunch break first. After the jobs are done I am going to sit down and do some sewing because I really need to get this embroidery finished soon
    Money wise not a lot has changed or happened,Ive still to pay the cheque from the water company in to the bank because I forgot to take it with me on Thursday,Its payday on Tuesday so new budget day which Im excited and nervous about,I cant rememner how many unsocial hours I did last month so Im not sure what this payslip will be like,hopefully it will be a good one,I do have some good months coming up,Im working both Easter bank holidays so and I have a Saturday and Sunday to work in April so Mays pay will be good and I have a feeling that I have two Sundays in May so Junes pay will be ok too.It has occurred to me that seeing as I know my shifts a couple of months in advance I can really plan for those months when my unsocial hours are less instead of winging it and hoping for the best,I need to pay more attention to my shift pattern on a month to month basis,I do have them all written down in my diary so its easy to keep check
    Im also feeling nicely relieved that since starting this process I have not used a CC or bought anything I dont need,Ive stopped shopping for the sake of it and it feels great,Ive been tempted a couple of times but have managed to go away to think about it and then talked myself out of buying whatever it was that I was eyeing up
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Just testing something
    Wasnt isn't cant couldnt
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You've got chickens! How lovely. I'd LOVE chickens.& have a big garden, but nobody I could really ask to look after them when we go away. I think chickens will have to be something for the future, maybe if we ever manage to move to the part of the country I'd really like to live.
    And I am well impressed you have some money saved for Christmas already, & it's only March! I haven't saved anything yet, but I do have a big presents box which I squirrel stuff away in all year round & I do have quite a few things in there that I picked up in the sales, like a fab knitting kit for my best friend reduced to £3 !!!
    I make quite a lot of presents (am a knitter), so I am just going to finish my current project then I shall knit a few things for the men in my life & stash them in the presents box.
    Years ago (I remember I had my oldest nephew with me who was about 3 & he's 15 now!), I was in a very expensive shop & bought a needlework kit (no of course I couldn't afford it, yes it was the bank's money). Anyway, it makes up into a bag. I started it but then I couldn't see well enough to do it without glasses so I put it away & despite having had 3 pairs of specs since then & it costing a lot of money, I've not touched it since. I'm thinking I could dig that out & finish it & it would make a beautiful gift for my sister who has a big birthday coming up. It would save me some money too, as I have all the stuff I need in the kit.
    Anyway, just popped on to say brilliant on having a Christmas fund.
    F
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    foxgloves wrote: »
    You've got chickens! How lovely. I'd LOVE chickens.& have a big garden, but nobody I could really ask to look after them when we go away. I think chickens will have to be something for the future, maybe if we ever manage to move to the part of the country I'd really like to live.
    And I am well impressed you have some money saved for Christmas already, & it's only March! I haven't saved anything yet, but I do have a big presents box which I squirrel stuff away in all year round & I do have quite a few things in there that I picked up in the sales, like a fab knitting kit for my best friend reduced to £3 !!!
    I make quite a lot of presents (am a knitter), so I am just going to finish my current project then I shall knit a few things for the men in my life & stash them in the presents box.
    Years ago (I remember I had my oldest nephew with me who was about 3 & he's 15 now!), I was in a very expensive shop & bought a needlework kit (no of course I couldn't afford it, yes it was the bank's money). Anyway, it makes up into a bag. I started it but then I couldn't see well enough to do it without glasses so I put it away & despite having had 3 pairs of specs since then & it costing a lot of money, I've not touched it since. I'm thinking I could dig that out & finish it & it would make a beautiful gift for my sister who has a big birthday coming up. It would save me some money too, as I have all the stuff I need in the kit.
    Anyway, just popped on to say brilliant on having a Christmas fund.
    F
    Yep I have chickens,I do love them but in the winter it's hard work looking after them,I've been keeping hens for 7 years now but after these ones go to the big coop in the sky I'm thinking of having a break,the trouble is I like knowing where my eggs come from so I'm not sure about buying eggs
    I'm still shocked at my Xmas fund,I'm being very organised this year and I'm really hoping I make it to Xmas without having to dip into it for anything,my emergancy fund should cover most things iso hopefully my savings will be safe
    Making the kit to give as a pressy sounds like an excellent idea,I love doing crafty things,I knit,cross stitch and paint furniture,I also have a very large dolls house I'm doing up,I also have lots of kits that I've bought with the banks money that I haven't made yet but I've made a rule now that I'm not allowed to buy anymore crafting supplies until I have finished everything I already have,I reckon I've got a couple of years worth of stuff to make before I buy anything else
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Oh dear, you two ladies remind me of me! I also want chickens but I'm glad I didn't get any before the winter as it's been so harsh. I also have lots of craft projects (2 lots of knitting and umpteen embroidery kits), none of which I've finished so I'm not buying any more (unless they persuade me they can't belong to anyone else). I saved a pattern from a magazine of a deer in winter which is totally gorgeous and I fear someone accidentally throwing it out, ditto a sampler which has old-fashioned homely furniture on - and there are about five embroideries on the go too.

I do like the idea of something handmade for a special present: my sister made us a heart-shaped embroidered cushion for out engagement which I still have 30 years later. It's really lovely.

OBL, I hope the antidepressants and the sunshine soon combine to make you feel better. I see you are having that issue with apostrophes turning into strange strings of letters. There are work-arounds for it which sadly I don't remember as neither worked for me - it varies according to whether you are using phone, laptop etc and is something in keyboards setting I believe.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport