My Over 50's Spending Diary

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    That's great news about the bracelet!!!
  • Well done on finding the bracelet.

Yesterday I ordered my vitamins online so saved a bit there, both time and money, so win win. Also ordered three pairs of earrings for £1. No idea if they will be good enough for presents, if not they will be fine for me for “everyday”.
  • Hello Chanie and LL,

I am relieved that I found a suitable bracelet so quickly after making the decision to buy my sister H a special present for her 60th birthday. I bought the bracelet from my savings as my sister H deserved to receive more than the usual female pampering products I give her for her birthday. :D

Like you LL, I have to watch what I spend and cut back in areas that I can afford to make savings as my 25 year old daughter who lives at home can no longer afford to make a financial contribution to the family finances. She was sacked from her job last April and although she has tried to get a new job, she has not been successful thus far.

We all have our personal financial constraints, but I personally like to enjoy my life, but without 'breaking the bank' or dipping into my savings for my social life.
  • I bought a Molton Brown Gift Set 300ml Body Wash and 200ml Body Lotion in the original box from eBay for £15.38 which saved me £24.62p compared to the lowest price I could find elsewhere online. Molton Brown is my sister H's favourite pampering range, so she will really appreciate this gift set for her birthday :D

I got £6.05 credit from Virgin Trains because my train was delayed arriving in Birmingham last Friday. I had forgotten that you get an automatic refund from Virgin Trains if you experience a delay, so it was a welcome surprise :T

My sister paid my entry fee of £5 when we went out last Saturday to the social club in Birmingham. :D

I picked up a free Metro newspaper today on my way to the cinema worth 60p

Savers Bargains:

2 X 100ml Colgate Fresh Gel £1.50 which saved me 50p compared to the next cheapest price in Poundland

4 X Dove soaps (X 2) for £3.38 which saved me 62p on the next cheapest price in Poundland of £4

2 X boxes of Paracetamol 19p each which saved me 28p compared to paying 33p each in Poundland where I used to pay £1 for 3 boxes of Paracetamol

Silver Screen Odeon cinema ticket £3 which saved me £7 on the standard adult ticket price and I got a free cup of tea worth £1.90 :T

I bought some mini tomatoes on the vine in Lidl which were reduced this week from £1.59 to 99p which saved me 60p

I bought 2 X 3kg of Ariel Colour & Style from a local chemist for £9.98 which saved me £6.16 compared to buy the same quantity from Asda at their current price of £2.69 a Kilogram :T

Current total = £2449.09
  • queen_vi
    queen_vi Posts: 993 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hi sugerbaby just saw this and will follow if you don't mind looks like something i will enjoy and get ideas,Thank
  • queen_vi wrote: »
    hi sugerbaby just saw this and will follow if you don't mind looks like something i will enjoy and get ideas,Thank

Hi Queen Vi.

I hope you find my spending diary of some use :)
  • queen_vi
    queen_vi Posts: 993 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i have been told about Shopmium do you use it ,do you think its any good.
  • queen_vi wrote: »
    i have been told about Shopmium do you use it ,do you think its any good.

Hi Queen Vi,

Sorry but I do not use Shopmium so I can not advise you on whether it is any good
  • 4 hopper bus journeys worth £3 (21st Feb) :)

My weekly online grocery shopping special offers and price reductions saved me £48.32 :T ( I upped my budget for this week, to get some store cupboard staples and other special offers that I wanted to stock pile to use over the coming months)

I picked up a free Metro newspaper on the bus on the way to my appointment at the health centre 60p

I bought Molton Brown Pink Pepperpod 300ml Body Wash and the 40ml Hand Cream for £20 from eBay including £5 P & P costs which saved me £10 on the cheapest prices I could find elsewhere online :T ( the last gift for my sister H's 60th birthday)

Current total = £2511.01
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi Sugarbaby, I've been following your thread- interesting reading, thank you for sharing. I too stockpile presents over the year ready for Christmas- saving as I go along means that I can have more presents for a set amount of money. I give a mix of new, second hand and charity shop finds, plus I love rummaging around car boots.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback