Is it acceptable to order a kids meal as an adult?

1235»

Comments

• superbigal36
    superbigal36 Posts: 734 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In my Morrison's cafe you can get a main and a drink after 3pm for £5:75. or 2 for £11:50. However they have a deal for 4, 2 adult mains and 2 drinks + 2 kids meals and 2 drinks for £10:00. So my friend and I ordered the £10:00 deal. When the food arrived at the table we were asked where the other 2 were. I told them that there were only us two. I was told we were not allowed to do that so I said they were on their way and if they did not arrive in time then we would eat it for them. They were not happy about it.

Morrisons will honour the £10 family deal (Price) for 2 adults alone.
    They just don't give you the Kids food.
    If there are 2 adults and 1 kids again will honour deal but just 1 kids meal.
    Food is excellent in my branch
    I have had a little banter with staff over this as there is no small print on show.
    Last weeks fun was around them having no fish. Fish monger in house was not sold out but apparently the fish does not come from there.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Morrisons will honour the £10 family deal (Price) for 2 adults alone.
    They just don't give you the Kids food.
    If there are 2 adults and 1 kids again will honour deal but just 1 kids meal.
    Food is excellent in my branch
    I have had a little banter with staff over this as there is no small print on show.
    Last weeks fun was around them having no fish. Fish monger in house was not sold out but apparently the fish does not come from there.

The one is Crawley is frequently out of items - I struggle to understand this s they have a whole supermarket literally at their fingertips.
  • Mia666
    Mia666 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Probably only in fast food places. If I take the kids I would have either have just a coffee or a small meal .
  • katsu
    katsu Posts: 4,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I have recently ordered Harry Ramsden's kids meal at two different motorway services, no problems (I am clearly not a child and was clearly alone). I was asked "what drink would you like?" and the person serving me most recently was not in the least curious about an adult ordering a childs meal so I assume it is becoming more common.
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
  • I do this sometimes in my local cafe if we go for a breakfast. They don't seem to mind but the last time they clearly got confused and brought me an adult portion which I ate about 1/4 of!
  • atinybrit
    atinybrit Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My nan and I used to go for lunch once a week in a local fish and chip shop up the road from my work. For ages there was no issue with her ordering a kids meal - she doesn't have a huge appetite. Then one day the waitress flat out told her no. Wouldn't give a reason. Really upset nan as she was made to feel a bit daft about it all. Anyway, we ordered her a adults meal and she left well over half of it but made it very clear when the waitress cleared our plates that it was being wasted. Didn't have an issue again.
  • ndf9876
    ndf9876 Posts: 404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    The one is Crawley is frequently out of items - I struggle to understand this s they have a whole supermarket literally at their fingertips.

Maybe they are running it down before closing it. Shame, as I often shop there on my lunch breaks.
  • I suppose there's no harm in asking really, just depends who you are with and where you are at.

If it is a nice restaurant and your with a partner then I suppose a kiddies meal wouldn't really suit the occasion but if its a swift visit to a fast food restaurant and you're short on change, I cant see why not?
  • Firstly, this is an old post to be bumping on Twitter, but my 10 pence worth.....

I don't disagree with the poster on the previous page who talked about it costing the same for an Adult as a Child's meal to deliver, but generally costs in restaurants aren't worked out like this.

Certainly when I was running a gastro pub, we worked on food markup percentages rather than the overall cost. However, our children's portions weren't particularly cheap - cheaper, yes, but proportionally the same markup (100% in case you wondered, although I've since heard many restaurants are much, much higher than this).

Really, restaurants and pubs should go out of their way to ensure that "smaller portion" meals are available - most chains do them now.

They need to consider that over-eating is a big problem in the UK (and I'm big!).

On another rant, carb free options are few and far between and even worse, most "chain" restaurants have gluten coating on their chips.
    The smaller the monkey the more it looks like it would kill you at the first given opportunity.
  • Supermarket cafes are really hit and miss. The ASDA in Isle of dogs has a fantastic fish and chips. The fish is cooked fresh and sometimes tastes better than the local chippie. At £5 for fish, chips and peas it's excellent value.

I was in lake district a month back, I thought all ASDAs must be the same, I order the fish and chips there, and I kid you not. It tastes like the oven cook fish you buy in store. It was horrible. A complete waste of money.

Back to the subject matter, kids meal is fine, you'll just look a bit odd as an adult eating one on your own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure