Help thinking through solar and battery options

Comments

• sunnykent
    sunnykent Posts: 9 Forumite
    So here's the latest...
    2nd proposer came back with an unbelievably expensive quote... let's just say well north of £20k for a 7+kwp sunpower system and Tesla PW2. That system can't pay for itself, even with my heavy electricity use, so a complete non-starter

Working with the first company to finalise terms now. Quite excited that a 6.3kwh Solax triplepower battery is only c£3k when installed alongside the PV system. That starts to make sense when combined with the Octopus 5p night rate (and 6,000 warranted battery cycles)
  • mre15
    mre15 Posts: 85
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Pylontech do a US3000 3.5kWh battery, 2 would cost around £2300 with 20% vat so would be even cheaper if installed with solar.
    4.6kWp PV Comprising 16 x Jinko Solar Maxim Optimised 290W panels SSE Facing, Solis Hybrid Inverter and 7.2 kWh Pylontech batteries. Gloucestershire.
  • sunnykent
    but I'd need an inverter too, wouldn't I? Would that be roughly the difference in cost?

(the proposed system uses Enphase microinverters for the solar gear - helps with some shading issues I have)
  • mre15
    Forumite
    I thought that was the case with the Solax too. As far As I am aware they only work with the Solax hybrid inverters.

You could get several different ac coupled inverter/ chargers for the pylontech. They are around £500 depending on specs.

But I believe you will have the same issue with the Solax triple unless you use their inverter.

Would you not be better getting a 2 string hybrid inverter and dc coupled batteries?
    4.6kWp PV Comprising 16 x Jinko Solar Maxim Optimised 290W panels SSE Facing, Solis Hybrid Inverter and 7.2 kWh Pylontech batteries. Gloucestershire.
  • sunnykent
    The solar system will have AC going into the garage, as the plan is to use Enphase microinverters. Unfortunately DC isn't an option (but given the long distance from the roof to the garage, that is probably a good idea)

The price of c£3k for the 6.5kwh is fully fitted with inverter and VAT. Doesn't feel massively different to the pylontech battery option?
  • mre15
    Forumite
    Probably not a lot in the price then. Just be sure to check out the charge rate of the battery and ac output of the inverter to make sure it matches your need.

I have seen some systems that charge at as low as 500w.
  • Nick6659
    Nick6659 Posts: 11
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I’m considering the EDF Powervault battery offer with the grid services option. Has anyone looked into this? I have a 20 panel solar PV array (6 KwP) and this seems a logical next move for me.
  • Hexane
    Hexane Posts: 520
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Nick6659 wrote: »
    I’m considering the EDF Powervault battery offer with the grid services option. Has anyone looked into this? I have a 20 panel solar PV array (6 KwP) and this seems a logical next move for me.
    I think mmmmikey bought something like this, or maybe exactly this, try this link and scroll up and down and back and forth a bit. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=75694229&highlight=grid+services
    7.25 kWp PV system (4.1kW WSW & 3.15kW ENE), Solis inverter, myenergi eddi & harvi for energy diversion to immersion heater. myenergi hub for Virtual Power Plant demand-side response trial.
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,600
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi - yes - I had a 4kWh PowerVault with the EDF grid services option installed a few months ago. As you'll see if you have a look at the battery thread, the economics of ownership depend very much on your own consumption patterns, etc. so I won't comment on that further here.

As far as the PowerVault is concerned, it's worked very much as expected and I'd be happy to recommend it. The unit has a well engineered look and feel to it, and the service from PowerVault has been excellent, both pre- and post- sale. It's still a fairly new design, and PowerVault have been very proactive when it comes to updating the firmware, etc. I have found them honest and straightforward and not at all pushy, so would suggest giving them a call with any questions.

As far as the grid services contract is concerned, it's too early yet to assess what impact that will have on the economics, but my own view is that it is a fair deal and not unduly stacked in favour of EDF. Keep in mind you can opt out at any time by paying back what you've been given, so if you're going to buy a PowerVault anyway there's no reason not to include the option. You can change your mind at any time.

If you have any specific questions, just ask, Mike
  • Nick6659
    Nick6659 Posts: 11
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks Mike, very helpful. Just one question though. Why did you opt for the smaller battery option? I haven’t a clue what our evening electricity use is but thought it would be better to future proof the install for eg, in case I decide to install an immersion heater. We have a couple of solar thermal panels which means we have free hot water for the summer months only. Cheers, Nick
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure