Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• bplp
    bplp Posts: 15 Forumite
    This is the message I sent to Avro:
    I've noticed that your Simple and Super Savvy rates ...TCR 15.103 & 3.641
    are cheaper than the ones I presently pay on Simple and MSE ... TCR 15.88 & 4.17
    Can I do anything about this?

The answer was yes, but I'd still have to pay £30 exit fees per fuel, costing me £60 to change internally to a better rate.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 May 2019 at 10:56AM
    victor2 wrote: »
    . . . Final bill produced, . . .
    So now they should have 10 working days to refund your credit balance or automatically pay £30 compensation.

In MSE's article on this provision, it was said that it applied only to switches which took place from 01 May so I am not sure whether it will also apply to final bills produced from 01 May.

My own view is that the Statutory Instrument which enabled the provision came into force from 01 May so should, in theory, apply to final bills produced from 01 May.

Perhaps you'll let us know what happens. This could get interesting !
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • wrongplanet
    wrongplanet Posts: 166 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    bplp wrote: »
    The answer was yes, but I'd still have to pay £30 exit fees per fuel, costing me £60 to change internally to a better rate.
    I assumed the exit fee on this tariff was to pay for the intro fee paid to MSE and the resulting cashback.

Did you get your £25 cashback? I'm still waiting for mine and MSE/CEC ignore emails about it.
  • Benight
    Benight Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Post
    I assumed the exit fee on this tariff was to pay for the intro fee paid to MSE and the resulting cashback.

:huh:

Early exit fees only ever apply if you exit from a supplier & tariff early (as the name says). Tariffs with early exit fees are usually for a period of 12 months or more.

Early exit fees apply to a tariff no matter how you switch to it, whether via MSE, another switching site (that may or may not pay cashback) or indeed if you switch direct using with the supplier.

MSE pays cashback (funded by the referral fee they are paid by the supplier) not usually earlier than 3 months after switching, and may not be until 6 months or more after switching.
    If you switch again early, before you are paid the cashback, MSE may not pay it at all.
  • wrongplanet
    edited 22 May 2019 at 2:55PM
    Benight wrote: »
    Early exit fees only ever apply if you exit from a supplier & tariff early (as the name says). T
    Avro make a point about not charging exit fees but the MSE Collective one is an exception, hence my suggesting that the exit fee may have been imposed to help pay for the referral fee.

However Avro claim they never pay a referral fee, but MSE/CEC said switching to the Avro MSE Collective tariff would earn a £25 cashback. Seems that some switchers got it, others didn't including me. MSE/CEC ignore emails about it.

[Edit] They now say the don't charge exit fees on a direct switch
  • Benight
    Benight Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 22 May 2019 at 2:19PM
    Avro make a point about not charging exit fees but the MSE Collective one is an exception....

Where do they make this point?

On their hompage currently it says:
    Saving you money

• Low Priced Gas and Electricity tariffs
    • No Exit or Cancellation Fees
      when you switch direct
    • Monthly statements for your usage
    (My highlighting in red)

It fact it says the same at least twice on the homepage
    No Exit or Cancellation Fees
    when you switch direct through us
  • wrongplanet
    edited 22 May 2019 at 7:16PM
    Benight wrote: »
    It fact it says the same at least twice on the homepage
    So it does. They've given their website a bit of a makeover and added that - it certainly used not to say that.

In fact I challenged them about the MSE Collective exit fee on FB and suggested that they add something like this but can't find it ATM - I'll come back if/when I do.
  • Just wanted to warn anybody reading this thread to avoid Avro Energy at all costs. We are owed over £500 by them which is proving v challenging to get a refund on, the customer service is also appalling. After reading a lot of reviews online I now know we are not the only ones having this problem and they are very slow and obstructive about refunds. The call centre has limited opening hours and is understaffed, worst energy supplier I have ever experienced.
  • wrongplanet
    ...I'll come back if/when I do.
    The reason I couldn't find the post - it was back in October last year - is they've deleted it.

But I do have the resulting PMs.

Avro: "...with regards to the tariff's exit fees- this again is something which has been set up by MSE for this 18 month fixed tariff. No tariffs which Avro offer directly to our customers, have early exit or cancellation fees."

Me: Still prudent to qualify it. [I.E.the statement that they have no exit fees.]
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,598 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So now they should have 10 working days to refund your credit balance or automatically pay £30 compensation.

In MSE's article on this provision, it was said that it applied only to switches which took place from 01 May so I am not sure whether it will also apply to final bills produced from 01 May.

My own view is that the Statutory Instrument which enabled the provision came into force from 01 May so should, in theory, apply to final bills produced from 01 May.

Perhaps you'll let us know what happens. This could get interesting !
    Final bill was up to, and including, May 1, so will be interesting to see what happens. Will try to post in this thread as events unfold!

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback