PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm not joining you this month as I have lost all my spreadsheets for the past three years (grocery spending, mortgage, piggy banking, etc). If the files are recovered it will be a while so I'll pull out for July but will be attempting to monitor roughly. I'm just loathe to (and don't really have the time to) rebuild all my spreadsheets if there is the slightest chance I'll get the originals back.

So good luck everyone, keep your purses closed and your list stuck to your hand and I'll see you soon.

Take care,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    well done and welcome to our happy band of money savers.Its very satisfying to get yourself sorted out and menu planning is a must.Try the 7 day fiscal fasting forum on here ,basically you try not to shop for at least 7 days making do with what you have in the store cupboards Great way to incentivise yourself into using up those bits in the store cupboards you may have forgotten about.also see as you go along later in the summer what you can 'forage' .I take my grandsons out to our local country park and we fill up containers with blackberrys for free and I wash them in salt (to make sure there's no creepy crawlies attached and then open freeze and use in pies and crumbles through the winter My freezer has usually got something in there that i have had either left over, or foraged for free
    well done for taking charge of the spending.
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    Thought a few of you might like to see this bargain today in Wilkos.......

Making jellies n jams?

photo-137.jpg?t=1341481758

Wilkinson's bargain no.1 :T

photo-141.jpg?t=1341481775

Wilkinson's bargain no.2 :T
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • kettlenic
    kettlenic Posts: 239 Forumite
    Options
    I live in London so not sure where I could go to forage...will have a google as berries are pricy!
    Love reading the oldstyle board...always something to learn!
  • kettlenic
    kettlenic Posts: 239 Forumite
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Well done!

Have you considered joining the grocery challenge? The only real challenge is to keep your grocery shopping down below the target you set for yourself for the month, although many people try to be below last month's amount too.

will consider that once this initial month is over and we have moved and can set up a good budget etc
    Love reading the oldstyle board...always something to learn!
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ... Thanks for info will have a look for Artisan bread and see about making it. ....

Might be worth checking out our Artisan Bread in 5 minutes thread ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • little_miss_moneysaver_3
    Options
    Hi All

How long will tinned tuna last if I make it up with salad cream on Sunday eve then keep in tuppaware for packed lunches, will it make it until Friday's packed lunch?

Hi DF,
    When I worked for a big food company our guidelines were once sandwich fillings were mixed with mayo they had to be discarded in 24 hours. Maybe just add salad cream daily and as someone said (sorry I forget who) tuna should be Ok for four days, although come Thursday I would have a look and sniff and see what's its like for Friday. I say sniff, we once had someone return a tuna sandwich as it smelt of 'fish' :rotfl:

NSD here today and hopefully tomorrow as not planning to go out to the shops. Got MIL's for dinner tonight, wedding Saturday and food for Friday and Sunday is defrosting in the fridge. Got F&v yday so should be ok.

Hugs to all that need them,
    LMM xx
    :j Baby boy arrived 22nd August 2012 :j
    :jSecond menace arrived safely 13th February 2014
    :j
    Debt Free Wannabee 2015
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 July 2012 at 2:26PM
    Options
    I've added these recipes to the front page index:

Muffins for breakfast
    - Florenceem
    Pitta Bread
    - savesummore
    Rose Jelly - jumblejack
    Lavender Jelly
    - Boodle
    Buttermilk Scones
    - Coxy11
    Chicken and Cheese Puff Pastry Ring - Coxy11
    Veggie "Burger’ - elsiepac
    Speedy Sweet Potato Soup with Coconut
    - ext link, sorry can't find who posted it but thank you. :D

I'm now up to date with recipes in this (July) thread and will keep it up to date. I'm still playing catch up with the previous threads but if you're looking for something pm me and I'll search for you.
    ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    jumblejack good spot :T

justback from l!dl and @sda £14 in l!dl and around £80 in @sda £20 of which was suncream for the holiday

should have everything for the week now though
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,876 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oooh get me - two of my recipes going into the receipe index :D

NSD today. We are having salmon tonight - baked in foil with lemon juice and black pepper, with mini roasties and sugar snap peas.

I got a boneless salmon side from MrT for £10, so will portion what I need for tonight and freeze the rest for a fish pie next week ;) This is a better, more ecomonical way of buying salmon as we are a family of 5 and salmon steaks tend to come in pairs :angry:

Tomorrow DH and DS1 are off to scout camp so we will have an early dinner of minced beef/pasta bake. I have the mince defrosting already and will make it up during the day tomorrow as they need to leave by 6pm.

Where has Flo got to?
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure