PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Noise Reduction in Terraced House?

Options
Hello all,

I just had a baby recently and really enjoy the pleasure of being a parent. There was tough moments and also the joy of seeing the baby grow up.
However, I recently received a courteous and kind note from our next door neighbor that baby crying in unsociable hours (1.30 am - 3.30 am) sometimes makes him unable to go back to sleep and hence affects his work the next day (he has to wake up early everyday for work). We live in a terraced house and so the walls between our houses are probably quite thin.

Although he said that it is not a tremendous disturbance, we still feel very bad for interfering our neighbor, so now we need to find a way to reduce noise. I looked online and found that soundproofing the walls by sticking sound-dampening materials like acoustic foam, or sponge is the most suitable solution for our situation.

Just before I storm out and purchase a lot of foam/sponge, I would just like to know if any of the members here has tried this before and whether it works or not? Does the foam absorb the sound well? Or doesn't do anything at all? There are mixed reviews about it everywhere I looked

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    He could try earplugs.

It's a baby, not a dog, nor loud drum 'n' bass at 3am.

I think you're being more than accommodating.

One thing, is the baby next to the adjoining wall? Is there another room/wall you could move the cot (or whatever) to?

Is your baby literally crying for two hours every night, or a short time at some stage during those hours?
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Wanderingpomm
    Options
    Cork tiles might be a good option as you’ll be able to wallpaper over them so they just look like a normal walk
  • robertboyd
    robertboyd Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    The baby is next to the adjoining wall and there is no other place we can move the cot, i have thought about it and we can't.

And yes, he cries for like a straight 2 hours pretty much everyday :(
  • robertboyd
    Options
    Cork tiles might be a good option as you’ll be able to wallpaper over them so they just look like a normal walk
    Have you tried it yourself?
    My research suggests that the cork tiles are not so great at absorbing sound
  • danlewi2
    danlewi2 Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    buy them some ear plugs and a bottle of wine.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    robertboyd wrote: »
    The baby is next to the adjoining wall and there is no other place we can move the cot, i have thought about it and we can't.

If not on a permanent basis, could you not just move the baby to another room, maybe temporarily? The hallway even? Lounge? In bed with you?

Maybe I'm feeling his pain if 2 hours solid :eek:
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's life they will have to get over it.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Options

Presumably you've tried a range of things to stop this?

I'd sort out the baby rather than try to sound-proof the house.
  • robertboyd
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    If not on a permanent basis, could you not just move the baby to another room, maybe temporarily? The hallway even? Lounge? In bed with you?

Maybe I'm feeling his pain if 2 hours solid :eek:
    Well, the best way is still to soundproof the wall because that would be long term solution. We have no other room to move the baby to.
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Presumably you've tried a range of things to stop this?

I'd sort out the baby rather than try to sound-proof the house.
    Well, the best way is still to soundproof the wall because that would be long term solution. We have no other room to move the baby to.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Options

Nothing is going to work well enough to stop the baby's crying being heard next door.

If you can stop the baby crying for so long, that would solve the problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure