PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breadmaker - Budget option

Options

Comments

• penrith
    penrith Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    I've just bought a panasonic SD253 (£79 from amazon.co.uk). It is definitely worth the money. I had a cheaper one before and you just can;t compare the 2!. My advice would be to save up and wait until you can afford something like the SD253.
  • BWZN93
    BWZN93 Posts: 2,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I shall definately be saving by the sounds of it, as I do think I would use the bread maker a lot, boyf was originally concerned I was buying a steamer and a george foreman as he thought I wouldnt use them. They do though - a couple of times a week!!

Ive got some pin money saved so far (£8.00) and am expecting my greasy palm £26 pound cheque soon, as well as £5.00 from pigsback, and a £3.50 refund from domestos, so im on my way to saving enough! I think ill buy myself one when I move into the new pad as a welcome gift to myself!!

Thanks for all your help too, its much appreciated!

Jo xx
    #KiamaHouse
  • Agapanthus
    Agapanthus Posts: 263 Forumite
    Options
    I started with the Morphy Richards Fastbake, as it was a Which? best buy and cheapish. It works very well and makes good bread.

I've just got a Panasonic SD253, (joint Which? best buy but twice the price). I've only made two loaves so far - which have been absolutely superb! Amazon and Comet have good prices on it.

You pays your money and you takes your choice...
    If we are supposed to be thin, why does chocolate exist?
  • Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    Options
    jw1096 wrote:
    Right, I think ill go and email some more companies in the hope of extracting some more vouchers (by compliments of course, not false complaints - so please dont hang me for saying that!)!

Jo xx

Jo, funny you should say this. I read all the stories on another board about extracting vouchers from companies through complaints, and I got so annoyed I thought I'd write to the companies I really liked and appreciated, and tell them something I liked about what they were doing (ethics, ingredients, advertising, community work etc), just as a tonic for them from the complaining culture we live in. I was amazed by the response, I was sent some free vouchers, even some free full-sized products. It hadn't been my end-goal, but I thought it was lovely! I felt I was a part of something nice. So, good on you, your praise might brighten someone's day! And if you win, too, even nicer for you!
  • Kippsy
    Kippsy Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    I am not sure about a breadmaker... I remember the loaves my dad made in his and they just reminded me of the wooly stuff you buy that is "baked in store" at the supermarket :o

I buy bread from a local italian bakery, usually three loaves a week and an occasional treat of the one of the other breads they do or just a french stick (best I have found outside france)... the loaves I buy are Sunflower seed and I think is also made with 50% rye, this does make it expensive but it is so yummy and I have had loads of bread problems in the past...

Like loads of other food I don't get on with bread but hoping to find ways round it.... how good and how convienient are bread makers? Easy to clean, use operate?

I have been given one but it doesn't have the mixer blade thingy so is totally useless (or an instruction book) I think it is morphy richards, anyone know how good the machines generally are and also how easy is it to replace bits?

Thank you in advance

Kippers
    oooh look only about 220 posts and I got round to doing my Avatar already!!
  • Agapanthus
    Agapanthus Posts: 263 Forumite
    Options
    If it's a Morphy Richards, then go to http://www.morphyrichards.co.uk and select customer care to find their phone number. I'm sure they'll be able to produce both the paddle and the book.

You can choose your own ingredients, so the type of bread you make is entirely up to you. There are loads of recipes on the internet, as well as those in the book, so sunflower seeds and rye are definitely possible.
    If we are supposed to be thin, why does chocolate exist?
  • Kippsy
    Options
    Thank you loads and loads Agapanthus! would thank you ten times if I could, very handy. Will look into it tonight when I get home and contact them with the product number. :-)!
  • misty
    misty Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    Options
    I bought my Morphy Richards from out of the local paper for £15 and it's fab. We have a supplement that lets you advertise free for items for upto £100. I kept my eye out for a fair few weeks because prices varied - some people were asking £35 plus - I thought for that price you could spend a bit more and get one with a full guarnatee. When this one came up I was in there quickly. It was in immaculate condition - she said she had used it twice - it was boxed and with instructions etc - do you have anything similar where you are?
  • Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    Options
    Kippsy wrote:

I have been given one but it doesn't have the mixer blade thingy so is totally useless (or an instruction book) I think it is morphy richards, anyone know how good the machines generally are and also how easy is it to replace bits?

Kippers

Kippsy, your usual bread sounds GORGEOUS!

I replaced my Morphy Richards Fastbake tin when the original one seized up completely. The replacement was only about £9inc, so the paddle is sure to be a lot less. The delivery was quick, and now it works like new again. Some shark on the internet was selling the same tin for over £30!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I nearly died, til I found the MR homepage.

Very easy to clean, I find - only a tin and a paddle, a quick wipe around with hot soapy water inside the tin. No fiddly bits, else I'd probably tend to get bored using it!

Hope you get it working - you may turn into the rustic Italian baker you never knew you were!
  • Kippsy
    Options
    Thanks loadsabob, I have to admit that last week when I got home to the fresh bread I did end up eating two sarnies (even though I had taken lunch, same sarnie, tuna and sweetcorn)! Didn't reallt want any dinner though... :rolleyes:

It is yummy... it goes rather well with my HM red pasta sauce (which my OH says is as good as his italian Nonna's sauce, bless her)... might have to give it a bash though! Anything to stop me making... and eating lots of CAKES :rotfl:

Will investigate and update with my progress cheers guys :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure