PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Would you rent next door to a car mechanics?

Comments

• Have you tried speaking to the neighbour living next door to this house? You'd get an accurate picture from them
  • To be honest,if you have to ask the views of others then I suspect you are considering not to rent but would like others to agree with you.

It's a rental contract so at least its not a major house purchase and if you don't like the garage next door after living there beyond your initial contract you can move on easily.

What I would ask is,is the rent lower as a result of the neighbouring business? or what is it that has drawn you to the property and are those upside points enough to negate the potential disruption from behind.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    No, never in a million years. As someone else said above, if you have to ask the question then I kind of think you know the answer :)

The deal breaker for me would be the cats
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Not necessarily even quiet in the evenings, if the owner or any of the mechanics are allowed to use the facilities to work on their own cars after hours.
  • AndyBSG
    AndyBSG Posts: 986 Forumite
    No.

My old property was near a garage and they basically used the whole street for parking of any vehicles that weren't actually in the workshop.

Was impossible for any visitors to get parked the 6 days a week they were open.
  • n217970
    n217970 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    rachpid wrote: »
    Plus we have cats so would worry about them getting hit if they went the wrong way.

For this reason look somewhere else, not only do you have to worry about them being hit but no matter how careful the garage might be there is bound to be some spillage of anti-freeze or other nasty chemicals.
  • sgun
    sgun Posts: 716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I used to rent years ago in a set up like you describe - the little sh*ts off the estate nearby would come along every so often and set cars alight in the night. We had a big back wall but it wasn't fun.

More of a concern would indeed be anti-freeze spills, a friends cat died a slow and painful death from drinking anti-freeze, it was awful, I wouldn't risk it, no matter how careful the garage is with their chemicals.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 April 2018 at 4:43PM
    I live directly opposite a mechanic and it doesn't cause us any issues at all. The most annoying thing is in summer if we want a lie in and have the windows open we can hear them opening the shutters at 8am but it is very rare we would still be in bed at that time anyway. We are not at all bothered by any fumes and even noise isn't that bad, there is more noise from the road than from them except for them occasionally using one loud bit of equipment. On the positive side they are excellent mechanics, do all of the work on our cars, including freebies for minor things like tracking and putting air in the tyres, plus they have CCTV that covers the part of the road we park on giving us peace of mind. In return we keep an eye on the place overnight and call them at home if there are any problems like when strong wind ripped part of their roof off or when a window got smashed.
  • Brock_and_Roll
    Brock_and_Roll Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you enjoy being enthusiastically chatted up on a regular basis then yes, judging by the garage near me!!

Depends on the type of operation, but not as noisy as they used to be and very rarely work outside of normal office hours.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm not sure if anyone else can predict whether this particular garage will be a problem, or whether you yourself will have a problem with it - different people have different tolerances for noise, traffic, dirt and dust, wolf whistling builders etc.

The main question is if you move there and decide you didn't like it, can you tolerate the stress, disruption, cost of moving again, perhaps after as little as 6 months? If yes - go for it, you've got little to lose. If not, ie because you're looking for something a little more long term, then perhaps don't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure