More Than Auto Renewal Nightmare

Evening all,

I'm looking for your advice and experience with regards car insurance auto renewal.

In January last year I switched car insurance providers to Esure after two years with More Than, saving £200pa in the process. My More Than online portal shows no policies beyond 30th January 2017. Likewise, I have no paper or electronic records of any new policies being established in my name.

Today, during a banking "Spring Clean", I've noticed that a Direct Debit has been being taken by More Than every month since January 2017. Clearly my policy has been auto-renewed, yet I received no details of this: no new policy number sent to me digitally or by mail and no new policy appearing in my online portal.

I found a More Than policy number on the Direct Debit instruction which I've now looked up and my suspicions were correct: a new policy was created in my name with a new policy number that was not linked to my online account. As I received no paper documents relating to this new policy, and no e-mails either, the only way of knowing this policy existed was through the Direct Debit.

Obviously I am an idiot for not recognising this Direct Debit sooner (I'd been mistaking these payments for my Esure policy, which I'd in fact paid upfront on a credit card), but something doesn't seem right that the details of the new policy wouldn't be readily available to me, seriously increasing the likelihood of a mistake like this occurring.

I am wondering if anyone else has suffered in a similar way with More Than or other companies? I have effectively paid them £614 over the last year...for nothing! What are the chances I'd be able to get this refunded?

Cheers!

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    When you chose not to renew the More Than policy, did you phone them to tell them that you didnt wish to renew (as it says on their letter)?

There is actually a good chance you will get this refunded, minus an admin charge. They will usually want evidence that you had alternative cover elsewhere. So, get that to hand and then phone them up and basically say what you have said here.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure