PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Spring Cleaning the Freezers - 52 days on £70

Options

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Me again (will go and sit quietly after this post). Couple of questions if you don't mind?

Cheap curry sauce (I have it too) - do you find you have to add extra curry powder? I bulk mine out with peas, pineapple etc. but it still needs a bit more zing.

Desiccated coconut - I have more than I can use... I came across this old recipe though which I haven't yet tried but it sounded fun and easy: Impossible Pie.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cherry, I bought expensive coffee rather than played in the kitchens, but yes it would be lovely to be paid to experiment in the kitchens.

I've made something like the impossible pie before (think it is on the grocery challenge thread) but have issues with grains so tend to make simple coconut macaroons here

I haven't tried the curry sauce but use chipotle chilli flakes (80p ish MrM) for anything that needs extra zing - heat and smoke rather than just making it hotter like chilli powder.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    hex2 wrote: »
    Cherry, tend to make simple coconut macaroons here.

For some reason I now have an oven full of macaroons :D (Thanks!)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Cherry - you can use dessicated coconut in a curry. I particularly like it in a prawn curry. Works best in quite a saucy curry rather than a dryish one - hope that makes sense.

Denise
  • charlies_tribe
    Options
    Just posting to say good luck with your plan. Cherryfudge recommended your thread when I mentioned needing to empty my freezer. Definitely won't be anything as exciting, not much I can do with dippers and waffles but it needs to be empty to move it.
    LBM in April 17 - £14998/£33554 (44.6%) paid. Mortgage@1 June 18 = £9935/£76350 paid.Total debt @june 18 £102311 now £84972GC Jan £40.99/£500 2021 declutter 85/2021 items 0/20 bags clothes
  • purpleybat
    Options
    joedenise wrote: »
    Cherry - you can use dessicated coconut in a curry. I particularly like it in a prawn curry. Works best in quite a saucy curry rather than a dryish one - hope that makes sense.

Denise

i second this and agree its great in prawn and/or fish curries. I always give it a goodly grinding with the mortar and pestle tho cos I find it can be a little gritty to eat.
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    joedenise wrote: »

Denise

I use the blocks of creamed coconut in curries, would the desiccated give a similar taste and texture Denise?

I’ve disliked desiccated coconut since the days of school dinners but always seem to end up with it in the cupboard. I think my daughter buys it for a recipe then forgets it.
    weaving through the chaos...
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    phizzimum - you won't get the same texture as creamed coconut but if you grind it as purpleybat suggests then I would think the flavour is similar. Having said that I can't remember what the creamed coconut flavour is like as I haven't used it for years! I only use desicated in fish/prawn curries.

For meat curries I usually use about 100ml of coconut milk (from a tin) for 2 portions. The rest of the can I freeze in a silicon muffin tin and once frozen transfer to a plastic ziplock bag - so I get 4 curries for 2 of us out of can of coconut milk.

Denise
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Katiehound wrote: »
    Hello! Back to the hair dye!
    Hope you haven't dashed off yet.
    Feedback suggests that the items may have different (dearer) prices on the shelves- so get checked at the till.
    The new formula in the new hexagonal boxes are easy to spot!

I picked up 2 hair dyes. They were £2.40 on the shelf but went trough the till at £1.59. Even better I used my advantage points and thry were free. Thanks so much for the tip :)

XSpender, what culinary adventures are you planning today? I am in awe of your lists: that must have taken ages. You do seem to have some good things to play with in there!

I am ashamed to say that, after being up since 5.45am to get DH off to a meeting, we have had hash browns, sausages, beans and egg for tea :o I went for the hash browns instead of the french fries as I wanted to use something up and cross it off my list and there is still 1 left :mad: The M&S sausage mountain has been reduced by 10% though :D
    Just posting to say good luck with your plan. Cherryfudge recommended your thread when I mentioned needing to empty my freezer. Definitely won't be anything as exciting, not much I can do with dippers and waffles but it needs to be empty to move it.

Mmmm waffles....havent had them for ages. Feel free to post what you've got, there have been some great suggestions for using up my stores.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Me again (will go and sit quietly after this post). Couple of questions if you don't mind?

Cheap curry sauce (I have it too) - do you find you have to add extra curry powder? I bulk mine out with peas, pineapple etc. but it still needs a bit more zing.

Desiccated coconut - I have more than I can use... I came across this old recipe though which I haven't yet tried but it sounded fun and easy: Impossible Pie.

I think the value curry tastes like chip shop curry sauce. I don't usually add anything but had considered sultanas to get rid of some and I often put peas in rice to go with it.

That pie sounds great and I have everything in (funnily enough ;)) to make it.

I make a lovely chicken curry with dessicated coconut, apple, chutney and sultanas. I will add that o my list for meals to make week after next.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills