PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fiscal Fast

Options

Comments

• TM6
    TM6 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    Yes steak is fine if you buy a decent quality one My local Dobbies uses Brogdale meat which is supplied from its place in Kent so few food miles to travel (about 10 :)) plus most of its stuff is organic and being local meat its keeping a local business going.. It was half price as on special offer so 488gm which is just over a pound of steak cost me £5.60. It is sirloin which is a good cut as well and had just a small rim of fat.I am particular when it comes to meat as I would rather have less of better quality than more of the cheaper stuff :)

with a salad and a small jacket potato my steak will be a nice meal for a Saturday night treat, cut into four, the steaks are about the size of the palm of my hand and more than enough for me, and a steak dinner will cost me including the spud and salad about £2.00 pretty good value for a treat meal I think :)

Last night I cooked a small gammon joint that cost me £2.45 from aldi's I put it in the sc overnight with some cola and wiped some runny honey over it and this morning I have a delicious ham which once cold will be sliced up and portioned for the freezerI should get at least 6-7 portions out of it as I have an electric knife and it slices better cold .800 gm of honey roast ham for £2.45, nicer than the plastic ham from the sm and a darned sight cheaper as well.and odd end bits will be diced and frozen to use in pasta. Should get around 8 meals out of it with additions of salad,pasta etc. the meat content for a meal is fine if you think of it as only a small part of the meal and bulk it out with veg etc.

Thanks for the info JackieO xxx
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Managed five portions for the freezer sliced and wrapped in cling film, and one portion for dinner last night with two poached eggs on top plus a few mushrooms so six building blocks for meals from a £2.45 piece of gammon I am more than happy with that :):):) Had to juggle my menu around a bit but its worked well.

JackieO xx
  • TM6
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    Managed five portions for the freezer sliced and wrapped in cling film, and one portion for dinner last night with two poached eggs on top plus a few mushrooms so six building blocks for meals from a £2.45 piece of gammon I am more than happy with that :):):) Had to juggle my menu around a bit but its worked well.

JackieO xx

That's amazing JackieO - I am definitely picking up some excellent tips from you :D
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 40

Another LSD, I had hoped to make it 3 NSD in a row but I bought some stamps off ebay with my Nectar points as they were rewarding me with a surprise amount (between 200 - 5000) of Nectar points. I'll let you know what I received.

Also we nipped into Morrisons and picked up a few bits (milk, bread, pork pie, cheese sandwich spread) that we had run out of.

Note To Myself - Don't leave it so long to write up my Fiscal Fast Diary - I :rotfl:am playing catch up today
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 41

A work day so not too much temptation but a Tesco visit for for the lovely lady I work for means that I scan the RTC and special offers.

Just £4 spent on the Buy 2 get 2 free Easter Eggs and a bag of Wispas for a pound.

That's Easter sorted :EasterBun
  • TM6
    Options
    A HSD - High Spending Day but justified :rotfl:

With our newly donated freezer, today we visited 2 different Bookers and hit their RTCs HARD!

We picked up RTC chicken, mince, bread, cheese, milk plus much, much more.

It should last quite a while and so we don't plan on going to Bookers now for at least another month.

We also treated ourselves to Fish And Chips from our favourite chippie in Truro - it was lush! :D
  • TM6
    edited 24 February 2018 at 7:44PM
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 43

This morning we went to a table top sale in aid of animal charities and picked up numerous bargains which we will either eat (home made cakes, chutney etc) or sell on ebay. I LOVE bargain hunting and this is my form of entertainment so I hope you can see why I justify it.

Our very final shop to fill up the freezer with bargains was at the co -op for their freezer meal deals (we bought 2) - http://www.co-operativefood.co.uk/5-frozen-meal-deal/

Although we wouldn't usually buy the chicken pie, we eat all the other items so it will be interesting to see how long this selection lasts for and whether we like the pie. What we mustn't do is gorge on the ice cream because it is there!

So that's it, the freezer is full and we have listed all the contents.

We now know exactly what we have and we should now only be buying ONLY what we run out of.

Bring on the No Spending Days :rotfl:

(Phew!!! I'm back up to date today with my diary xxx)
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 44

I did wonder whether I was a fraud with my Fiscal Fast, is fasting giving up something completely as folk do during Lent?

Well I'm pleased to see that the wiki definition says...

Fasting is a willing abstinence or reduction from some or all food, drink, or both, for a period of time.

If wiki says reduction, I must be ok then! :rotfl:

:j Anyhow....a NSD :j
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 45

I didn't realise when we set this challenge as a family that we would go on such a journey. With anything where you are trying to cut back or stop you have to be REALLY ready and today I noticed that we had ramped up a gear and we are now driving on full throttle!

We know EXACTLY what we have in our food cupboards - we have it written down and we are keeping it up to date. The same with our freezer :D We have plenty of choice so there should be no need to step inside ANY shops even for basics for a while :T

Having said that I visited both Sainsbury's and Tesco as part of my work and I spent......

Absolutely nothing, nada, zilch - another NSD :T
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well living in Kent, and at the moment being visited by the Beast from the East in snow :) I am glad that I have lots in stock.

No way am I going to cross my doorstep today. Thick blanket of snow outside, and my car looks like an igloo. I shall delve into my freezer and find something tasty for dinner Lunch will be HM soup and cheese and crackers.

Not spent any money at all and have no need for any food shopping this week at all

Onwards and upwards chums

JackieO xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family