PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

New Year, New Plans and Hopes

Comments

• I can't believe it is mid January already! This year seems to be going really quickly.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 8 April 2018 at 8:56AM
    Lynplatinum U3A is a great group to join I have been a member for about three years now and have got so much friendship and advice from lots of different people in there.Film club sounds brilliant Our local cinema have a senior's film on twice a week and its usually a film that was released previously by about two months .You get a movie, a cuppa and a biscuit for £3.00 great way to see the latest films about two months later :)Its always got a good turn out and you get to meet like minded folk who like me absolutely adore the cinema but don't wish to pay nearly £10 for the privilege, As I am registered disabled I also have a cinema exhibitors card which costs me £6.00 per year and I can get two tickets for the price of one which is great when my DGS visits me as we are both film lovers.I know you can see them on TV but the actual experience of going to the cinema is what delights us along with a decent film of course:)

My problem isn't finding something to do, its finding the time to cram everything in that I would like to do.

My two DDs say I have a far better social life than they do as I am rarely at home This afternoon I am off to a local library meet the author afternoon with a friend who is a bookworm like myself .Its all go being retired you know

JackieO xx
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My sorting has gone up a level as I have cleaned out the car, because we are getting a new ( to us ) one on Monday. I didn't realise how much useless junk we were carrying around :eek:.
    I have also started a spending diary, a good plan I think, but will have to see if I can keep it up past February :rotfl:.
    Still haven't sorted the downstairs food cupboard but will do that now !
    Lovely to see so many others on this thread. Hats off to JackieO for starting it :T.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Me again !
    Finished the downstairs cupboard, only the kitchen ones to do now. They will have to wait a while though, as I want to give them a good scrub when they are empty and will be busy most of this week.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 January 2018 at 10:26PM
    Hi everyone,

This year I have until the end of March to completely declutter & my DH to decorate, as my DSis is moving in for an unspecified amount of time.

So my plans for 2018 are:

1. Complete declutter of stuff
    2. Redecorate at least five rooms
    3. Use up freezer, fridge & larder contents so I can start from scratch
    4. Do more baking
    5. Be more inventive in my cooking

I think that is enough to be going on with and as far as no.4 I have baked on 2nd & 3rd of January & plan to bake today (DH very appreciative but not his waistline!)

Thanks JackieO for starting this thread.

Will pop in again at the end of the month to update on my progress.

Good luck to us all and sending positive vibes into the ether!

Mrs SD:)

Hi all you planners!

Decided to pop in mid month

1. Managing to declutter 3 or 4 items a day BUT needs to be at least five times more than that each & every day - MUST TRY HARDER

2. DH is third of the way through redecorating spare room. I have washed down the bathroom & decluttered, so will be easy to empty & redecorate. Bit behind on this one!.

3. Coming along nicely. Menu planning really does help - so far have used up fishfingers, tub of cream & cider sauce, duck breasts, half a loaf of bread, pack of bacon, box of haddock fillets, 3 crumpets and the next week will see lamb chops, mince, at least two bags of veggies, more bacon, garlic bread, tub of hm chilli, pack of puff pastry being used up.

4. Have baked 7 days out of 13 almost as much as the whole of last year! This is probably the the best of my plans if I can continue in this vein.

5. This is a slow starter - but I do need to come up with some ideas for the half used jars of stuff in the fridge. Watch this space.

Keep on planning!

MrsSD:)
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • CurlyTop
    CurlyTop Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi all you planners!

Decided to pop in mid month

1. Managing to declutter 3 or 4 items a day BUT needs to be at least five times more than that each & every day - MUST TRY HARDER

2. DH is third of the way through redecorating spare room. I have washed down the bathroom & decluttered, so will be easy to empty & redecorate. Bit behind on this one!.

3. Coming along nicely. Menu planning really does help - so far have used up fishfingers, tub of cream & cider sauce, duck breasts, half a loaf of bread, pack of bacon, box of haddock fillets, 3 crumpets and the next week will see lamb chops, mince, at least two bags of veggies, more bacon, garlic bread, tub of hm chilli, pack of puff pastry being used up.

4. Have baked 7 days out of 13 almost as much as the whole of last year! This is probably the the best of my plans if I can continue in this vein.

5. This is a slow starter - but I do need to come up with some ideas for the half used jars of stuff in the fridge. Watch this space.

Keep on planning!

MrsSD:)

Well done Mrs SD, you're making inroads and that's the most important thing because otherwise we have a tendency to become overwhelmed and all good intentions fall by the wayside.

In terms of point 5 for your inventiveness, I too feel like I'm not inventive or indeed brave to try things out by myself and prefer to follow a recipe book but, I know that would lead to clutter because I will only use 2/3 recipes. Last year I got rid of some books that I don't use BUT I did buy The Savvy Shoppers cookbook by Amy Sheppard instead. Its not one of those books that you need to buy 67 million spices for. It's based around ingredients you can buy in Aldi or Lidl. Quite a lot of it is freezable too so it's ideal for me as I make 4 portions and freeze 2. I can't recommend it enough. It's been one of those books that ive gone back to frequently. My food bill is reducing as I get to grips with things as well so for me, it's been a win win. It may help you out if you're stuck for ideas.
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
  • eandjsmum wrote: »
    Right Mine will be based on not wasting time. So no vegging out in frount of the tele.
    1. Keep the Garden neat try to grow more veg.
    2 Knit up all the wool I have - No buying more wool.
    3 Finish off all projects that I have started.
    4 Continue to keep the clutter down.
    5 Use the GYM more or in Summer WALK more.
    If possible arrange swimming lessons.

Have decided to add sort out the finances properly. To that end I am in the process of making out a proper inventory of food stocks ect. The budget sheet is started and I have down loaded my payslips.

Jackie O thanks for the tip about Library's lending e-mags. Ive checked our and they do that here. I got a tablet for Xmas so I will be able to download mags, books and audiobooks onto that. That will cut down on thenumber of books ect in the house.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I can't believe it is mid January already! This year seems to be going really quickly.
    I was thinking exactly the same thing!

I am well outside of my comfort zone his week; I have no less than THREE mee't'greet visits - this is where prospective new dog-sitting clients bring their dogs for a visit, a cup of tea (for the owners - the dogs get a bowl of water) and a chat, to see if we are the right carers for their dogs. I have severe social phobia, so these visits are really hard for me; we had the first one yesterday (two rather delightful Cavapoos); I have one tomorrow evening, and the third Thursday afternoon. Wish me luck! :eek:

I see a lot of people have mentioned learning to swim as adults; I'm afraid I'm another who at the age of 57 cannot swim. Unfortunately, I cannot go near a swimming pool, as the chlorine smell triggers off a PTSD-type reaction, caused by a very traumatic event that occurred at a swimming pool when I was six years old.
    When we visited Iceland a couple of years ago and went to the Blue Lagoon geothermal spa, I didn't get this reaction, so it's definitely the chlorine smell that does it. I don't see a way round this, as all swimming pools seem to have that smell - any thoughts folks?
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • LameWolf wrote: »

I am well outside of my comfort zone his week; I have no less than THREE mee't'greet visits - this is where prospective new dog-sitting clients bring their dogs for a visit, a cup of tea (for the owners - the dogs get a bowl of water) and a chat, to see if we are the right carers for their dogs. I have severe social phobia, so these visits are really hard for me; we had the first one yesterday (two rather delightful Cavapoos); I have one tomorrow evening, and the third Thursday afternoon. Wish me luck! :eek:

Good luck. :)
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Good luck Lamewolf

As for the swimming, are there any lidos near you? They do have chlorine as all pools have to, but because they are outside you don't smell it so much as that heady gassy smell can escape

Well for me, things are moving slowly, but still in the right direction. I tackled the bathroom today, a full bin bag of rubbish from there, a large bag of out of date tablets to be dropped at the chemist for disposal and a crate of stuff for the charity shop. I also cleared out a vast amount of CDs and emptied two drawers filled with things that didn't have a home/junk in the living room. DH was like oh don't throw away the DVDs and I'm like, we have watched them, they are going lol

I feel so much better for finally doing it and I'm keeping on top of the previously declutterd areas

Other positives have been IVE LOST WEIGHT :j:j

No idea how much but a coat which I could just about do up but could barely move my arms in, now fits :). My belt also needs a new notch added to it.

It will also be two weeks without alcohol come Tuesday and I'm feeling really confident on that score. Also having these long winter evenings to fill I've gotten back into a beauty regime of sorts which in itself is making me feel better and more positive in myself. I know it's only early days but it was this day last year I quit smoking and I've stuck with that so I'm really thinking I can stick with these new plans
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure