Renovations and Repayments.

Options

Comments

• smallholdingsister
    Options
    Ha ha tell him I don't want to either but its never as bad as you think when you get there!
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Ha ha tell him I don't want to either but its never as bad as you think when you get there!

I told him that. :) My music teaching is starting again next week.

Already posted this on someone else's diary but wanted to share on here as I'm rather proud... My son and I went to the library today to get some books then we went for a walk before going to my cousin's. Anyway, my cousin gave my son £20 for helping her on the land and with the horses. He had enjoyed himself and worked hard. As a rule we don't give him money but my cousin didn't realise this. I gave him an option to spend the money on whatever he wanted but he'd get no extra to spend from me or to save the money (explained he could one day buy something better and earn money through interest etc.). He chose to save it :D ... towards a horse of his own. :eek:

Today has been a NSD for me but not for Mrs K. On Friday evenings she goes out with her work colleagues and is still not back.

Unfortunately my productivity hasn't been great. Sleep has been terrible, which is hindering me. Thoughts of my future are on my mind.

Challenge updates:
    Challenge 1 - wheels are still for sale.
    Challenge 2 - so far so good. :) I've spent very little and have no plans to buy much over the next few weeks. Just need to hope wife stays on board.
    Challenge 3 - car I bought to sell should be ready to sell next month. Currently I've got a trio of Triumphs (GT6, TR6, 2.5) all registered within four years of each other. :D Have achieved a life goal there and will hopefully see some extra £££s for doing so.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    Liking your challenges, Alex! :) Hope your sleep improves, I always feel awful when I get poor sleep.
  • cazmanian_minx
    cazmanian_minx Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    As a rule we don't give him money but my cousin didn't realise this. I gave him an option to spend the money on whatever he wanted but he'd get no extra to spend from me or to save the money (explained he could one day buy something better and earn money through interest etc.). He chose to save it :D ... towards a horse of his own. :eek:

Alex, are you intending to give him pocket money? I would really advise it, as it's a great way to teach him about spending choices (e.g. blow all this week's pocket money on some plastic tat versus saving it for a few weeks for something really wanted - even perhaps with Bank of Mum and Dad adding some interest if it's saved).

I thoroughly approve of his savings goal :p
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 9 April 2016 at 11:26PM
    Options
    Had quite a high spend day today as I fuelled one of the classics and bought food for today, tomorrow and Monday. Tonight was a healthy and cheap meal of cod, new potatoes, broccoli, carrots and peas. Tomorrow we're having Sunday lunch at my parents' and a mezze supper. Also making tomato and feta couscous for son's Monday lunch and have promised to bake a cake with him. Too much cooking for a Sunday but still not in the league of the MSE foodies. ;)
    Liking your challenges, Alex! :) Hope your sleep improves, I always feel awful when I get poor sleep.

Thank you. :)

Sleep has been an ongoing problem of mine for years. I spent some time reading about how to improve it before Mrs K got back (2.30am :mad:). All seems like great ideas until you're wide awake and frustrated about not being able to sleep. :rotfl:
    Alex, are you intending to give him pocket money? I would really advise it, as it's a great way to teach him about spending choices (e.g. blow all this week's pocket money on some plastic tat versus saving it for a few weeks for something really wanted - even perhaps with Bank of Mum and Dad adding some interest if it's saved).

I thoroughly approve of his savings goal :p

Caz, I keep meaning to catch up with your diary! :) Hope you're well?

Originally I had planned to give him an allowance when he started senior school. However, having seen how sensibly he handled the money given to him by my cousin, I am considering if he could start to earn a little by helping out around the house in a few years. Not sure when a good age is to start giving him a little pocket money? Originally I thought senior school age but perhaps 13 is a bit too old.

:eek: Realising we will become the "Bank of Mum and Dad" is a very scary thought indeed... poor child. :o

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: He's horse / dog mad, Caz. :D
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • cazmanian_minx
    cazmanian_minx Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Caz, I keep meaning to catch up with your diary! :) Hope you're well?

Originally I had planned to give him an allowance when he started senior school. However, having seen how sensibly he handled the money given to him by my cousin, I am considering if he could start to earn a little by helping out around the house in a few years. Not sure when a good age is to start giving him a little pocket money? Originally I thought senior school age but perhaps 13 is a bit too old.

:eek: Realising we will become the "Bank of Mum and Dad" is a very scary thought indeed... poor child. :o

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: He's horse / dog mad, Caz. :D

Very well, thanks - currently stripping out the new house and wrestling with the application for my Basic Farm Payment :)

I'm trying to remember when I started getting pocket money, I think it was 6 or 7. I think attaching it to helping around the house is a really good idea, looking back I wish my parents had done that as I'd have probably been a rather nicer person teens to 20 as a result! A lot of my friends have a chores ratecard, so X amount for cleaning and tidying their room, X amount for clearing up the kitchen after dinner, X amount for doing a load of laundry and so on. The list changes year to year so it's age-appropriate and it's worked out so that if they do everything on the list, they get their maximum weekly pocket money. Seems to work very well.
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Very well, thanks - currently stripping out the new house and wrestling with the application for my Basic Farm Payment :)

Wonderful and exciting! :D
    I'm trying to remember when I started getting pocket money, I think it was 6 or 7. I think attaching it to helping around the house is a really good idea, looking back I wish my parents had done that as I'd have probably been a rather nicer person teens to 20 as a result! A lot of my friends have a chores ratecard, so X amount for cleaning and tidying their room, X amount for clearing up the kitchen after dinner, X amount for doing a load of laundry and so on. The list changes year to year so it's age-appropriate and it's worked out so that if they do everything on the list, they get their maximum weekly pocket money. Seems to work very well.

My son is generally very helpful. :)

I want my son to grow to be a much better person than I was during my teens - 20s and to also gain the life skills he will need once he gets a house of his own.

Had a quiet NSD (for me) today. :) Lots of cooking, a chocolate cake baked, two nice walks (one with parents, son and both dogs) and a nice drive in one of the classics. :) Really need to make a larger dent in my coursework, though. :eek: Mrs K went off to do her own thing, so that meant some money spent. She asked me if I am going to apply to do a PGCE course at the end of the year and was pleased when I told her that I don't think I'm going to. Hopefully that'll keep her on side until the end of the month!
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Challenge updates:
    Challenge 1 - wheels are still for sale.
    Challenge 2 - so far so good. :) I've spent very little and have no plans to buy much over the next few weeks. Just need to hope wife stays on board.
    Challenge 3 - car I bought to sell should be ready to sell next month. Currently I've got a trio of Triumphs (GT6, TR6, 2.5) all registered within four years of each other. :D Have achieved a life goal there and will hopefully see some extra £££s for doing so.

Good to see you thinking ahead :T and dong so well :D
    ;)
    Sleep has been an ongoing problem of mine for years. I spent some time reading about how to improve it before Mrs K got back (2.30am :mad:). All seems like great ideas until you're wide awake and frustrated about not being able to sleep. :rotfl:

Originally I had planned to give him an allowance when he started senior school. However, having seen how sensibly he handled the money given to him by my cousin, I am considering if he could start to earn a little by helping out around the house in a few years.

Sleep - lavender
    Pocket Money - No time like the present :D
    Bank of Mum & Dad - poor Mum and Dad :rotfl:
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    All quiet in your corner Alex, hope all is good :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,922 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Echoing...no posts for a while. Hows things?
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure