Stupid, stupid idiot.

Options

Comments

• dinkylou
    dinkylou Posts: 727 Forumite
    Options
    First of all make sure he doesnt have access to this credit card anymore.

Then maybe a few stern words with him are needed. Tell him that you have been more than reasonable with him in the past and that you dont care how he gets the money (not by your daughter though) but that you are owed the money.

I know you wont like this but maybe a threat of going to the CSA to regain payments for maintenance are in order?

Tell him you dont want to do this but that he is taking the p*** out of you (as thats what hes doing) and so you have to do something to get the money you are owed.

It s sounds to me that you may have been a bit stupid but mainly you are a soft touch and he knows this and may think that eventually you ll give up chasing him.

Have some stern words to tell him how angry you are.
  • Northernbird_2
    Options
    Big hugs :grouphug: . Don't beat yourself up about it. You made a mistake, a mistake that's clearly based on you being a good and kind person, and there's nothing wrong with being that.

I always find the best way of feeling better is being pro-active and doing something (which can be hard). I obviously don't know full details, but could you sit down with your ex-husband and say that it's clear you can't pay all in one go, show me your last 2 payslips and calculate what you can afford to pay back each month. Put it in writing, set up a standing order to the account and go from there.

Some people can put off things by giving a date and then keep pushing it back, but maybe if you sat down and went through it thoroughly and make sure you get definite answers and agreements rather than a fob off, it may work.

Do bear in mind that you're still liable for the debt in the eyes of the bank so try (if you can) to not get in trouble with the bank in the meantime.

Hope it works out. Don't let it drag you down and keep your chin up.
    Lightbulb moment - October 2005
    Debt at highest - £97,000 :eek:

Debt now (15/06/07) - £83,908.47 (still :eek: but every little helps!)
    Debtfree Date - 2015 (but working on it)!

2007 Comp Challenge - £360/£0 (I have no luck with winning!)
  • Northernbird_2
    Options
    eek! Repeat post. Don't know how that happened. Sorry.
    Lightbulb moment - October 2005
    Debt at highest - £97,000 :eek:

Debt now (15/06/07) - £83,908.47 (still :eek: but every little helps!)
    Debtfree Date - 2015 (but working on it)!

2007 Comp Challenge - £360/£0 (I have no luck with winning!)
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    What an example you show to other parents who cannot get on with each other after a split and who fight in front of the kids or use them to hurt each other. You have shown to your girls how kind and generous you have been towards their father, even though it was a risk you took, i hope he can show you the same kindness as you did with him and gives you the money back when he can.
  • Kevicho
    Kevicho Posts: 3,216 Forumite
    Options
    Kimberley wrote:
    What an example you show to other parents who cannot get on with each other after a split and who fight in front of the kids or use them to hurt each other. You have shown to your girls how kind and generous you have been towards their father, even though it was a risk you took, i hope he can show you the same kindness as you did with him and gives you the money back when he can.

In sentiment i agree, but in this case i thing this guy is taking the mick, he needs to be set straight, hes already sponged off one of her kids so i dont think that sending the message to her children that its ok to lend this guy money is the right one

Im hoping she does get her money back but shes going to have to start being firm with him, and needs to explain to her daughters the situation, so that when she takes her stance her kids understand the reasons behind it
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    No i mean it's refreshing to get a parent who treats her ex in this way..
  • Little_Miss_Winner
    Options
    Ceegee,

I know it's a little different, but I was owed £450 by a lad at work, who just had to have designer clothing from my catalogue.

I kept asking and asking month by month for it. He would give me a £5 or £3 here and there. I was sick with worry. Then I told my boyfrind(at the time) and he simply said, tell him I have paid for it, and now he owes me the money!

So the next day at work, this lad said to me. I will try and give you £10 this week for them clothes. I turned to him and said, "Oh, it's ok. XXXX has paid it off now, but he has said he will give you 4 weeks to pay him back"...............

Fast forward 25 days.................................£450 promptly paid in cash, with loads of apologies to pass to said boyfriend.

What I am trying to get accross is, do you not have a brother, uncle, cousin, dad. Who you can tell ex husband, that they have now paid it for you. So now he owes them.

Men hate to feel belittled in front of other men. And i am almost positive something will be done soon.

It's something to do with being MACHO....or not as the case may well be!

Sorry I have gone on, but hope it helps you?

Love and ((((((HUGS)))))
    pot
    x
  • ellou02
    ellou02 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    An earlier post suggested that he has not stolen the money, but if he borrowed cash, with the promise of repayment then surely it's theft not to repay?

Anyway, I think the Small Claims Court wouldn't cost very much, as you can represent yourself.

Are the CSA not chasing him for unpaid maintenance?

Your plan sounds good - to get some kind of agreed repayment schedule in place, and make sure he keeps to it.

Best of luck; it's an easy mistake to make when you try to help someone...
  • jan59
    jan59 Posts: 386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The trouble is, he is the type of person who can manage to make me think that it is all my fault. He has already told me that I am ungrateful as he is working hard to repay the money and I don't know how to counter this. I think I'm frightened of him TBH, because I know he can convince me that black is white. It has always been that way.

He can only do this if you let him. You can't be responsible for things that happen TO you, but you CAN control your reaction to them! Honest, there's a lot of us been there!

You are a very lovely generous person, and hopefully your girls will carry on your genes. The next time anyone tries to persuade you that black is white, then just picture all your mates on this website standing behind you and backing you up........
    Everything in moderation..............including moderation..............
  • ceegee
    ceegee Posts: 856 Forumite
    Options
    jan59 wrote:
    The next time anyone tries to persuade you that black is white, then just picture all your mates on this website standing behind you and backing you up........

Thank you, jan59........that made me smile and that is very important, so thanks ever so much. :A
    :snow_grin"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow........":snow_grin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport