Washing Machine Leaking from bottom..any ideas please?

Options
Hi,

As the title says, we have a problem whereby a small trickle of water is leaking from our 3 month old washing machine. It has only happened today (twice) on a particular cycle, but, we also have an issue on one of the other cycles whereby it shows an error H20 (which, according to the manual is a water filling issue). As I say, this only happens on one particular cycle, so it obviously doesn!!!8217;t have an issue really, or surely it would happen on them all?

We!!!8217;ve checked the filter which is totally clean.

Can anyone suggest what we might try and do to see what!!!8217;s causing the issues?

We may end up having to get someone out but if there!!!8217;s something we can find without that, then it would be handy.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you have a drain off hose in that area? On my old Zanussi the connection for it would come loose whenever the machine was moved, although that resulted in flooding rather than a small leak if not rectified. Is something slightly loose? Or has a washer been misaligned?

If you post the make and model someone who has the same may post with their experiences.
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi,

As the title says, we have a problem whereby a small trickle of water is leaking from our 3 month old washing machine. It has only happened today (twice) on a particular cycle, but, we also have an issue on one of the other cycles whereby it shows an error H20 (which, according to the manual is a water filling issue). As I say, this only happens on one particular cycle, so it obviously doesn!!!8217;t have an issue really, or surely it would happen on them all?

We!!!8217;ve checked the filter which is totally clean.

Can anyone suggest what we might try and do to see what!!!8217;s causing the issues?

We may end up having to get someone out but if there!!!8217;s something we can find without that, then it would be handy.

Thanks in advance.

Firstly, if it's only three months old then is it not still in warranty?

Otherwise, I would check that the inlet feed is securely fitted (particularly if you are getting a filling warning) and also that the waste pipe is likewise secure.

Since you'll have to drag it out of its position, I would leave it out, take the top off and watch the connections and/or try to determine where the water is coming from while you get it to do a wash.

If it doesn't actually drip then, when it's stopped (and isolated from the mains), you could feel around with your hand and maybe find some water residue that might indicate where it's coming from. There also might be some staining from previous water escape, so have a good look.
  • Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    daivid wrote: »
    Do you have a drain off hose in that area? On my old Zanussi the connection for it would come loose whenever the machine was moved, although that resulted in flooding rather than a small leak if not rectified. Is something slightly loose? Or has a washer been misaligned?

If you post the make and model someone who has the same may post with their experiences.

Thank you. I know it’s a Hoover but I’ll have to go look at the model. The drain hose is there but there doesn’t seem to be anything under that. I shall get my husband to double check though.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,745 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is there a filter that needs cleaning out? That used to make my last machine leak.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Anoneemoose
    Options
    JohnB47 wrote: »
    Firstly, if it's only three months old then is it not still in warranty?

Otherwise, I would check that the inlet feed is securely fitted (particularly if you are getting a filling warning) and also that the waste pipe is likewise secure.

Since you'll have to drag it out of its position, I would leave it out, take the top off and watch the connections and/or try to determine where the water is coming from while you get it to do a wash.

If it doesn't actually drip then, when it's stopped (and isolated from the mains), you could feel around with your hand and maybe find some water residue that might indicate where it's coming from. There also might be some staining from previous water escape, so have a good look.

Yes, it is in warranty. We will call where we got it from and get someone to come out if needed. I just thought if it was something simple we could sort it without the need for that.

It’s in an outside utility room so is easy to access as there’s nothing surrounding it. We checked the inlet tap and hose and the drain pipe is correctly positioned. The tap and drain are to the back and there’s no sign of water near them.

Thanks for the advice. As I say, we just thought we might be missing something obvious.
  • Anoneemoose
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    Is there a filter that needs cleaning out? That used to make my last machine leak.

No, we checked that. It’s completely clean. Some water did come out when we opened it though but I believe that’s normal. It was also clear water.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure