Is there a maximum number of addresses that a single email can be sent to?

A friend of mine runs a walking group where there are about a hundred members, some of them do not get the monthly email, I always get mine.

Is there a maximum number of addresses to which one email can be sent?

Thanks,

Fortyfoot

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes there are limits, depends on the email client/service being used. The limit is usually based on emails sent in a given period, eg, 100 emails per day etc.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,911 Forumite
    There is (theoretically) no upper limit to how many people you can feed into the BCC field, however in reality as above the limits of the provider will be key here.

Gmail has a limit of 500 recipients per mail (or 100 if you use a client ie Thunderbird or something like that), Yahoo, like most Yahoo Mail things, varies depending on the age of your account - older accounts could send 100 per mail, newer accounts about 50. Outlook/Hotmail 300 messages a day and 100 recipients per mail.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,960 Forumite
    The various RFCs (821,, 2821, 5321) that define SMTP do not specify a limit on the number of RCPT commands that can be issued in a single SMTP envelope, so there is no theoretical limit imposed by the protocol that is used when email transits the Internet.

As advised by previous responses, individual mail providers may impose limits by their own policy, but there is no standard for these. The sender would have to ask their mail provider.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Maybe consider getting a paid for email service/domain. They are cheap?
  • Tiexen
    Tiexen Posts: 724 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Fortyfoot wrote: »
    A friend of mine runs a walking group where there are about a hundred members, some of them do not get the monthly email, I always get mine.

Is there a maximum number of addresses to which one email can be sent?

Thanks,

Fortyfoot

Get them to use :

MailChimp (Free service for up to 2,000 subscribers and 12,000 emails per month)

https://mailchimp.com/
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Or host the group on Facebook or Mobilize or Google+ or similar so you don't need to email at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure