Empire Cinemas - tickets non-refundable

2»

Comments

• Deastons
    Deastons Posts: 464 Forumite
    Isn't it obvious? Once they've got your money, why would they want to give it back? They can't be sure of re-selling your tickets.

I gave the answer to that a few posts ago:
    Deastons wrote: »
    The negative is they don't get to re-sell the tickets and don't then make profit from the associated confectionary sales.

This could also impact surrounding businesses - fast food joints, restaurants etc.
  • Deastons wrote: »

The only plus I can see for the cinema is they get to keep the £10-or-so per ticket for anyone that changes their mind/has an emergency/has to stay late at work. The negative is they don't get to re-sell the tickets and don't then make profit from the associated confectionary sales.
    waamo wrote: »
    £2.10 booking fee for paying online.

Never again will I moan about the £3.50 (£2.50 in the week) and 30p booking fee at my local cinema again!
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,146
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    It's certainly not a technology issue - Cineworld offers cancellation of Unlimited bookings up to 2 hours before the screening. (Indeed, they ask you to cancel your booking(s) if you know you definitely won't be going). I suppose in that instance, there is no downside to them - they can potentially re-sell those seats.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,442
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    The problem with allowing cancellation would the same one the airlines have on (very expensive) fully flexible tickets. People could book tickets for three different films and then decide at the last minute which ones they didn't want, leaving the cinema with unsold tickets.

Even worse, people could maliciously buy hundreds of tickets and cancel them at the last minute in order to damage a business.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    waamo wrote: »
    £2.10 booking fee for paying online. Someone is having a giraffe.

But you do get the benefit of not having to queue at the box office only to find that it's sold out, you can't sit your group in adjacent seats or that the only ones remaining are the crap ones.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,146
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Cineworld now have an upgraded membership scheme (separate to Unlimited) that includes the option to cancel online.

https://www.cineworld.co.uk/help/other-questions/q20
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    LilElvis wrote: »
    But you do get the benefit of not having to queue at the box office only to find that it's sold out, you can't sit your group in adjacent seats or that the only ones remaining are the crap ones.

Although of course some of those seats that are supposedly booked already may well have been booked by Unlimited type customers who have no intention of turning up and the seats will remain empty.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure