Learner Driver - Best Insurer To Go With

Hi all,

I'm a learner Driver and my test is in a few weeks. A family member has offered to let me get insured on their car. I need to get my own insurance policy.

I was wondering what experiences people have had with different insurers?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Why another thread?

The best insurer is the one with the right policy for you at the right price.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,793
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I can't recommend an insurer as I don't yet drive either. But I looked into this myself last week as I really could do with learning to drive and buying a car, as a rather mature learner.

I spoke to a local broker and they only found one insurer on their panel who would even touch a mature learner and we found that the price more than doubled when I [hopefully] passed my test and went out on my own - that wasn't something that I expected, but it does make sense. Once I had a couple of years experience and some NCD, it would drop quite a lot year on year and many more insurers would now quote too, making it more competitive. But those first couple of years were going to make it cost-prohibitive for me.

So be aware that the learner bit might be the cheaper time, it's as a new driver where the big numbers come in initially, so factor this in your calculations too.
  • Cat123456
    Cat123456 Posts: 17 Forumite
    I was wondering about people's experiences. On the off chance I'd need to make a claim would just like to know how was it was to get resolved etc.

@BooJewels it's silly isn't it that the learner insurance is cheaper! Some insurers give a discount for dash cams and for new drivers it'll save a chunk of change :)
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,698
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Do you mean you want an insurance policy to drive their car after you have passed your test?
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,793
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Cat123456 wrote: »
    @BooJewels it's silly isn't it that the learner insurance is cheaper!
    It was explained to me that as a learner you always have a qualified driver accompanying you. Once you pass, you're potentially out on your own and are somewhat inexperienced. So it does make sense, but my quote was over 2.3 times more once I passed.

She said I could add over 5k as a youngster and 1.5k if I moved 3 miles up the road, so she said many factors were in my favour and it could have been significantly higher than it was. Ouch, it sounded a lot to me - and certainly a deal breaker for now.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,264
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    BooJewels wrote: »
    . Once you pass, you're potentially out on your own and are somewhat inexperienced. So it does make sense,
    Plus statistics show that a new driver that has just passed their test is far more likely to be involved in an accident during the first few years after passing their test due to inexperience than at any other time, consequently insurance cost far more until no claims is built up.
  • Cat123456
    Cat123456 Posts: 17 Forumite
    @cajef I'm not able to get insured on their car after my test as it will be too costly

@BooJewels I'm expecting my insurance to be fairly high but figure the price I pay for lessons each month should cover my insurance :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure