!!HELP!! - car inurance rejected ! :(

dpall
dpall Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 18 July 2017 at 2:13PM in Insurance & life assurance
So, I was rejected insurance earlier this year for having my dad as the main driver and myself as a named driver on an insurance policy, when the car (really old ford ka - 1.297cc) was registered under my name. I had no idea that this was something illegal (referred to as "fronting - which I came to know later) - I only wanted to save some money ! :(

I have since transferred the car on to my dads name and have been looking for insurance but with no luck! :'( As most insurance companies don't even offer a quote once I mention that I have been rejected insurance previously. The few companies that do offer insurance for, drivers that were previously rejected insurance, offer quotes of ~£2500 -£3000 per year (that is almost x10 the amount i paid for the car) !!! :eek:

Any advice on how to go about this situation and get insurance for a reasonable price, will be much appreciated!!

[ extra info: I'm a new driver (under 25) and my dad is now the registered keeper ]

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    When I think back, my car insurance was more than the car itself when I was 18-23, it was only after that I was buying more expensive cars, overall the premiums have remained the same-ish, it seems you may have to take some pain until you can build up a good clean history of low risk.
  • NCC-1707
    NCC-1707 Posts: 348 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Sounds to me that you are still attempting to 'front'.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    dpall wrote: »
    I have since transferred the car on to my dads name

[ extra info: I'm a new driver (under 25) and my dad is now the registered keeper + main driver of another car)

why have you changed the car into your dad's name?
    is this not your car that you are the main driver of? (or will be if you can get insurance)
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,871 Forumite
    The few companies that do offer insurance for, drivers that were previously rejected insurance, offer quotes of ~£2500 -£3000 per year (that is almost x10 the amount i paid for the car) !!! :eek:

Any advice on how to go about this situation and get insurance for a reasonable price, will be much appreciated!!

[ extra info: I'm a new driver (under 25) and my dad is now the registered keeper + main driver of another car)

£2000+ sounds about the right price; you dont say how old you are. A few years ago, in my late 40s, I paid £700+
  • NCC-1707
    NCC-1707 Posts: 348 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    sevenhills wrote: »
    £2000+ sounds about the right price; you dont say how old you are. A few years ago, in my late 40s, I paid £700+

New driver under 25 as in OP you quoted!
  • ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    OP - If the insurance was in your father's name with you as a named driver then there's a possibility that he might have to declare the Fronting as well.

Regardless, you need to put the car back into your name and get insurance with you as the main driver and your father as a named driver.

Unfortunately it's going to cost a lot - that's the price you pay for attempting to defraud an insurance company.

It might be worth you seeing if an insurance broker can do anything for you.
  • dpall
    dpall Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2017 at 12:37PM
    Like I mentioned, I didn't do what I did on purpose - I didn't know it was illegal at the time. And I dont want to "front" again - thank you for pointing out that changing the car on to my dads name could be seen as fronting.
    Thank you all for your suggestions!

I have a couple of questions
    1) if i were get a car after i turn 25 - would these policy quotes go down at all ?
    2) or would I have to pay extremely high insurance prices for the rest of my life?
    3) how many years before this "fronting" is taken off my record?
  • paddyandstumpy
    paddyandstumpy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    You intentionally lied on the application for insurance when disclosing ownership and main user; why did you think that wasn't illegal?
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Like I mentioned, I didn't do what I did on purpose - I didn't know it was illegal at the time.
    But you did do it on purpose you did it to get cheaper insurance, companies are tightening up on this type of fronting fraud, a cancelled policy will have to be declared whenever you apply for new insurance in the future.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    its still fronting if you do most of the driving , if your dad never drives the car its definitely fronting even if its in his name
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family