Pay school fees in advance or invest money??!

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi there
    Am really keen to get some views on this..
    Got two sprogs in private school. The school are offering 2-3% discount for fees paid in advance (2 years fees = 2% off, 3 years 2.5% off, 4 years 3% off).
    We have got £117,000 which I think would just about be enough to scrape the 4 years and therefore attract 3%

Is the discount 2% off and fees fixed for the discount period? If so, then in these times of 4 or 5% fee increases year on year the discount would be more like 7% in subsequent years. You need to be very clear on what is being offered.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • daveyjp wrote: »
    If the up front cost is 2-4 times the current fee you also need to take into account the effect of not being subject to any annual price increases.

They built in a 5% annual increase accumulator on the quote they gave us and said if its over 5% we have to pay the difference - if its less than 5% we get a bit back.
  • MallyGirl wrote: »
    Is the discount 2% off and fees fixed for the discount period? If so, then in these times of 4 or 5% fee increases year on year the discount would be more like 7% in subsequent years. You need to be very clear on what is being offered.

Hi there - no the fees aren't fixed. We have been given a quote for period of time that includes a 5% accumulator each year.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In that case my feeling is the discount isn't enough to give them all your cash
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • the more people comment and the more I reply the more I think what a terrible deal it is!
    I think maybe paying back the mortgage and using rental income to pay the fees monthly is probably the way ahead..
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,810 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I know parents at my school cut a deal like this, the main benefit for them was that they paid a fixed annual school fee for the 4/5 years, whilst every other parent would pay the fees year on hear with the rises.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • Cash-Cows
    Cash-Cows Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Is you your money protected? What would happen if the school went bust?
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    2 prep schools in this area have gone bust in that last 5 years. One of the private high schools was a bit wobbly for a year but scraped though with 'donations' and financial advice from a few very wealthy parents.
    If you go with the advance fees - it needs to be in a cast iron protected scheme (tricky to think what that scheme would be - the Insolvency Service have far reaching powers...)but I'd find other ways to get a return on the capital if I were you.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 12 July 2017 at 8:09AM
    I agree on the point about needing cast iron protection on the cash paid in advance, just like you would have in a bank account, otherwise it becomes speculative / risky.

Also you mention the alternatives include fixed bonds at 1-2% (taxable) or paying off a mortgage which is presumably also somewhere around 2% (presumably no tax effect unless its a mortgage on a BTL property in which case paying your mortgage reduces interest cost and increases profits and thereby 20% income tax on the interest 'saved')

It's important to realise that those rates earned on savings deposits or saved on lower mortgage interest are annual amounts, whereas the discount for upfront school fees are a one off saving covering a few years.

For example if you take the 4 year deal you are saving fee in year one and year two and year three and year four. So, some money off your bill in the first year but also some money which wouldn't have been paid until the second or third year or fourth year. For simplicity of really rough numbers you can probably average it and say it would all have been due at the end of the second year. So, by taking the deal you are saving money - on average - in two years time.

Therefore it is like getting 3% given to you in two years time. Don't think to yourself "oh well 3% is better than the 2% I could get on a deposit account or the 2% I could save by paying off mortgage". Because saving rates and mortgage rates are per year. Whereas the offer is only to get 3% of cost saving in about two years time on average, which is only about 1.5% a year and therefore actually sounds lower than the 2% you might find on mortgage payoffs or on savings (though tax would reduce the savings income to some lower net amount depending on personal circumstances) .

So, (assuming absolute security of the cash you give them), taking the discount and paying up front it might be a bit better than messing around with alternative uses for the money or it might not be, but it does not seem massively compelling as a clear winner. If the discounts were several percent higher, or if they protected you from price rises, then they would be more compelling - but I wouldn't be falling over myself to sign up at those rates you've been offered.

Given you're not really saving loads in the context of bank saving accounts or mortgage payoffs, it's not really 'peace of mind' to settle up now, because if they want to put the price up they can still come after you for more money, and you need to hope the guarantee / trustee document is worth the paper it's printed on. If the potential saving is not massive, you would probably sleep more soundly in your bed with a massive pile of cash in bank accounts guaranteed by the financial services industry as a whole and ready to cope with whatever challenges life throws your way.
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Why would a financially sound organisation want to get the cash in early and pay people to do it?
    Maybe they have cash flow problems. Maybe they are not financially sound.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure