Charging Order? The myth

Comments

• Hootin_Heck
    Hootin_Heck Posts: 23 Forumite
    edited 23 June 2017 at 2:57PM
    For the Attention of LRR...

Our mortgage was a together mortgage with NRAM which comprised of a secured element and an unsecured element. From what I have read, normally what happens is that when selling the house, the secured part is paid, and the unsecured part de-links at a higher interest rate and paid back separately.

NRAM are saying that they cannot de-link them because of a charge on the property...which there is NONE for the unsecured element.

There are 2 restrictions for 2 separate personal loans with NRAM which we think is confusing them.

Now on the Land Registry (Proprietorship Register) it states the following
    (16.04.2007) The price stated to have been paid on 11 December 2006 was
    £xxxx
    "X" is the full cost of the mortgage including the unsecured element.

Does this entitle them to demand the unsecured element? Or is that just normal to list the full amount paid, including any unsecured element?

This is holding up the sale of the property... NRAM are being quite stubborn over this.

I guess that was a long winded way of asking the charge on there for the mortgage, does that only cover the secured amount?

Thanks in advance
  • Pinkypo
    Pinkypo Posts: 7 Forumite
    Thank you to LRR and Egg box.
    I received this response from the solicitor
    "Yes that is correct. Usually on these type of restrictions only written notice is required. We already wrote to them to provide such notice and therefore this has been complied with. They came back saying how much they wanted. Some people in these circumstances wish to repay them at the same time on completion. If you do not want to then we will advise them of this and won’t do this."
    I called and she said that now we have instructed them that we will not be paying they will contact the buyers solicitor. I asked if the sale will still go through and she said it still could do. She did warn that the creditors could come after us for full payment. Can they? they are all in repayment. Also with the buyer solicitor knowing that we wont be paying the charges, will they tell the buyer to pull out?
  • Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this site and would really appreciate some help on a matter concerning an interim charging order. In 2009 I was made redundant from my job during the recession. At the time of redundancy I was in the middle of a hire purchase agreement on my car. I kept payments up for as long as I could afford but sadly fell into arrears. As a result of this, I made the decision to give up the car and give it back to the finance company. I sent them a letter saying that I would give the car back as full and final payment as I had already paid more than 50% of the total amount payable, this is the law under the CCA 1974. I received a letter back saying that was fine and they were willing to accept this agreement. A few months down the line I received court papers saying the lender was making an application for a charging order on my home. As I have never been to court in my life before and didn't have a clue what the process was I went in to the hearing quite blind. As I had no idea how to defend myself the judge made judgement in their favour. Now as my house is jointly owned I have since read they wouldn't get a final charging order anyway. I haven't had credit since this incident and a few other debts which spiralled. Now my credit score has improved and is getting back to where it should be, this interim charging order has come back to haunt me after I applied for extra funds on my mortgage for home improvements. I have the land registry document which does state that the lender has a "restriction" on my property. Is there anyway I can get it removed?
    Thanks in advance
  • eggbox
    eggbox Posts: 1,772 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Pinkypo wrote: »
    Thank you to LRR and Egg box.
    I received this response from the solicitor
    "Yes that is correct. Usually on these type of restrictions only written notice is required. We already wrote to them to provide such notice and therefore this has been complied with. They came back saying how much they wanted. Some people in these circumstances wish to repay them at the same time on completion. If you do not want to then we will advise them of this and won’t do this."
    I called and she said that now we have instructed them that we will not be paying they will contact the buyers solicitor. I asked if the sale will still go through and she said it still could do. She did warn that the creditors could come after us for full payment. Can they? they are all in repayment. Also with the buyer solicitor knowing that we wont be paying the charges, will they tell the buyer to pull out?

Pinkypoo

Sorry for late reply but thread updates not being emailed to me again (keep having this problem!!!)

Your Solicitor seems to be helpful but you need to (politely) explain she didn't need to contact the creditor as the Restriction requires the buyers side to notify the sale?

The creditor could come after you for full payment but its extremely unlikely if you are repaying. The key factor, however, is they have lost their security over the house. So its crucial that you don't invest your sale money into new assets they can go after again to encourage them to do so?

The only reason the buyers Solicitor would advise their client to pull out is if they don't understand the limitations of the Restriction. So you need to make sure your Solicitor explains that once the terms of the Restriction are met, it will be removed upon sale through overreaching.
  • eggbox
    Burnsy1978 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this site and would really appreciate some help on a matter concerning an interim charging order. In 2009 I was made redundant from my job during the recession. At the time of redundancy I was in the middle of a hire purchase agreement on my car. I kept payments up for as long as I could afford but sadly fell into arrears. As a result of this, I made the decision to give up the car and give it back to the finance company. I sent them a letter saying that I would give the car back as full and final payment as I had already paid more than 50% of the total amount payable, this is the law under the CCA 1974. I received a letter back saying that was fine and they were willing to accept this agreement. A few months down the line I received court papers saying the lender was making an application for a charging order on my home. As I have never been to court in my life before and didn't have a clue what the process was I went in to the hearing quite blind. As I had no idea how to defend myself the judge made judgement in their favour. Now as my house is jointly owned I have since read they wouldn't get a final charging order anyway. I haven't had credit since this incident and a few other debts which spiralled. Now my credit score has improved and is getting back to where it should be, this interim charging order has come back to haunt me after I applied for extra funds on my mortgage for home improvements. I have the land registry document which does state that the lender has a "restriction" on my property. Is there anyway I can get it removed?
    Thanks in advance

Burnsy 1978

For the creditor to have obtained an interim charging order he will have to have, firstly, obtained a County Court Judgement (CCJ) against you for the debt claimed; it is this that is affecting your credit file not the interim charging order.

You should, however, have received papers from the Court advising you of the creditors court action, for the CCJ application, to enable you to defend the claim. Did you receive anything?

If you received the papers but ignored them it should be okay as long as you still have the letter stating they were accepting the car's return in full and final settlement? This is because you will be able to make an application to set aside the CCJ on the basis you didn't owe any money because of what the letter states?

Removing the CCJ is the only way to remove the Restriction (apart from settling the debt) so let me know what the situation is on the above and I can advise your next best action?
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,776 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 July 2017 at 12:55PM
    For the Attention of LRR...

Our mortgage was a together mortgage with NRAM which comprised of a secured element and an unsecured element. From what I have read, normally what happens is that when selling the house, the secured part is paid, and the unsecured part de-links at a higher interest rate and paid back separately.

NRAM are saying that they cannot de-link them because of a charge on the property...which there is NONE for the unsecured element.

There are 2 restrictions for 2 separate personal loans with NRAM which we think is confusing them.

Now on the Land Registry (Proprietorship Register) it states the following
    (16.04.2007) The price stated to have been paid on 11 December 2006 was
    £xxxx
    "X" is the full cost of the mortgage including the unsecured element.

Does this entitle them to demand the unsecured element? Or is that just normal to list the full amount paid, including any unsecured element?

This is holding up the sale of the property... NRAM are being quite stubborn over this.

I guess that was a long winded way of asking the charge on there for the mortgage, does that only cover the secured amount?

Thanks in advance

Very sorry for such a late posting

The entry you have referred to is a 'price paid entry' and does not directly relate to any secured/unsecured loans.

Such an entry is made when the ownership has changed e.g a sale so relates to the purchase price/value stated in the Transfer deed, not any legal charge.

I would not have expected the price paid entry to cause any confusion or concerns for a lender
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Pinkypo
    Pinkypo Posts: 7 Forumite
    Thank you again for all your advice. The house sale completed yesterday. From sending that email to them on the Friday, to completition the following Thursday. It wouldn't have happened without you, so thank you so much.
  • eggbox
    Pinkypo

No problem and I'm glad you have managed to sell okay!
  • Asify
    Asify Posts: 5 Forumite
    I have read through the thread, and could not make sense of how this works

Anyway here is my situation and I hope someone is able to assist

My Mother past away in 1993 and my father passed away in May last year. Both owned a property which the mortgage is paid.

My mother owned a 2nd property at the peak of the recession in 1994 and with the interest charges going crazy, the house was repossessed and auctioned off. Especially as my mother past away the year before

My father agreed a payment plan to pay the shortfall on the mortgage on the second house and that was that.

Or atleast I thought

We got a call in 2008 requesting to settle the debt I explained my mother was deceased. So agreed to get my fathers part of the debt removed.

Anyway roll the clock forward my Father passes away and I am the executor on the will.

There are two orders in the document - see below

(28.02.2008) RESTRICTION: No disposition of the registered estate is to be registered without a certificate signed by the applicant for registration or his conveyancer that written notice of the disposition was given to Bank of Scotland at c/o HL Interactive Solicitors, 19-21
    Spring Gardens, Manchester M2 1FB and of DX724000, Manchester 39 being

the person with the benefit of an interim charging order on the
    beneficial interest of made by the Manchester County
    Court on 6 February 2008

3 (06.05.2008) RESTRICTION: No disposition of the registered estate is to
    be registered without a certificate signed by the applicant for
    registration or his conveyancer that written notice of the disposition
    was given to Bank of Scotland PLC at care of HL Interactive Solicitors,
    76 King Street, Manchester M2 4NH and DX724000 Manchester 39
    () being the person with the benefit of a final
    charging order on the beneficial interest of XX made by the
    Manchester County Court on 29 April 2008 Claim Number

What do these mean, and as my mother is deceased and it appears the charging order is only in my mums name

Would love to know how to move my probate issue here and what the liabilities are here.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated
  • eggbox
    ASIFY

The Restrictions are notifying that a Charging Order was made in favour of the creditor concerned attaching to the financial interest of the debtor concerned.

Land Registry Rep maybe able to offer some guidance as to what happens to the Restrictions now the debtor has, unfortunately, deceased and the probate issue.

Under normal circumstances the Restriction can't be removed unless the debt is settled or the property is sold. But the property will form part of your father's estate and the creditor will now have to make a claim against that to realise their debt.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback