British Gas Business - contract and backdate issues. Any advice?

Hi all! My business moved into a premises on 1st January 2019, and have had an ongoing issue with British Gas, which has taken over ten months to solve. The problem was on their end, in that the meters were showing as de-energised and/or not linked to the correct property. The solution they have now offered is totally unsatisfactory, and I wanted to seek any advice on what grounds I have or what I could legitimately expect from them.

The basic and impartial facts are as below:
• We moved into the premises on 1st January 2019;
• I first contacted BG on 13th February, seeking a deemed rate bill to 13th January and a backdate of contracted rates from then to 13th February, followed by a contracted term (30-day rolling) before being able to switch to a cheaper, renewable provider with excellent customer service;
• It turned out that there was a legacy issue with one of the meters, which has taken to November 2019 to sort out;
• The delay in getting the backdate sorted hasn’t been our fault;
• In the interim, I have spent the equivalent of multiple days on hold to and on the phone to BG in the last ten months, trying to sort this issue out, costing our business in terms of my time as I’ve had to repeat the whole back story to various different customer service agents;
• These calls cost money, as well as time;
• Upon getting this sorted, we are offered a backdate to 13th February (not 13th January, which it should be at the very least, as they offer a one-month backdate as standard), but would be required to sign up to at least a one-year contract, as contract lengths have to be at least as long as the backdate;
• (To reiterate) the length of the backdate was not down to our error or omission, rather BG’s;
• The contracted rates we have been offered, in any case, would be at least £137 per year more expensive than the other provider, whom I would have switched to on 13th February if BG had not encountered the issue;
• We’re already going to be liable for approximately £100 more than we would have been had we switched, for the time we have already been in the premises.

The solution and compromise that I have offered and would accept is as follows:
• Ideally, as a gesture of goodwill and to compensate us for the time wasted resolving this matter, we are able to backdate to 1st January, and pay the contracted rates for the period 1st January to the present date, us accepting that this way, we’ll be liable for about £100 more in total than had we originally been able to switch when planned;
• If this isn’t possible, at the very most, I would accept paying the deemed rates for the period 1st to 13th January (I have meter readings taken on 14th January), and then the contracted rates from 14th January to present;
• With BG accepting that the backdate was not our fault, we are allowed to switch provider straight away once the bill to date is cleared, or at the very maximum, are put on a 30-day term after which we could switch freely.

So, while I think I've been reasonable and very fair in what I'm seeking, does anyone else have any similar experience or advice? I'm awaiting their response to an email now, but seeking guidance in the meantime.

Thanks so much in advance!

Jack :)

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This is for OIL and LPG section .

< (To reiterate) the length of the backdate was not down to our error or omission, rather BG’s;>

But you failed to notify BG on the date of moving in .

Anyway this is a business account and diffrent rules to consumers .
  • jrcd92
    jrcd92 Posts: 41 Forumite
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    This is for OIL and LPG section .

Apologies. My error!
    < (To reiterate) the length of the backdate was not down to our error or omission, rather BG’s;>

But you failed to notify BG on the date of moving in .

We were waiting for the building purchase to go through - we moved in a few weeks before actually purchasing. As outlined in my solution, I'd be willing to pay deemed rates for the period 1st to 13th January as per their standard practice.

The time it's taken them to solve the outstanding issue - from 13th February to 12th November - is a separate and unrelated issue.
    Anyway this is a business account and diffrent rules to consumers.

I'm aware it's a business account - merely wondering if anyone has experience or expertise, as per my post. Thanks again!
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Small business section on the forum or an SMB forum .
  • texter
    texter Posts: 36 Forumite
    Well the thread is still here, so presumably the powers that be think it's on the correct board. for the best response. :)

Business tariffs are different to residential ones. You are bound by the terms you agreed to.
    I understand you may think you have not agreed to any terms, but you did by using the energy supplied, so you will be subject to the suppliers deemed terms and conditions.
    You need to refer to them.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 November 2019 at 1:30PM
    I'd expect a board mod to move this to the main energy board (rather than the LPG etc board), but I'm interested in sharing experiences.

I'm trying to sort out a massive problem with my employer's British Gas electricity account. We've been asking BG to solve a problem with our meter since June and it's still not done. I opened an official complaint in September and was given a resolution date of 4 November. Still nothing. We're a microbusiness so unlike larger businesses are eligible for Ombudsman support. Next week, the 8 weeks is up and I can refer my complaint to the Ombudsman.

Our issue is that BG think we have a dual-rate electricity meter and it's only single rate. We can't give them a reading as we only have one figure and they want two. Our bills have always been estimated and there's nothing we can do about it if a high one comes in as they can't accept a meter reading from us. BG visited in July and said "yes, it's a single-rate meter", but they still haven't updated their systems and re-issued our bills.

We're now out of contract and paying high variable prices but are unable to switch to a new supplier due to the meter record being incorrect (any new supplier looking us up on the national database sees us as having a dual-rate meter). We're a small charity and feel like we're being held hostage by British Gas Business as we're physically unable to leave them and are at the mercy of whatever estimated bills they come up with (we recently had one for over £200 for 10 days, when our bills should be around £60 per month).

Every time I phone I'm told the same thing: "It's been referred to another team to fix and they haven't done it yet." I can't find out who that team is or how to contact them. There's no sign of a resolution and I'm just hoping the Ombudsman can get things moving.

I know MSE is a consumer forum, not a business forum, but I'm tearing my hair out with British Gas so if anyone happens to have any advice...! I would never, ever use them for my own supply at home after this experience.
  • jrcd92
    pinkteapot wrote: »
    I'd expect a board mod to move this to the main energy board (rather than the LPG etc board), but I'm interested in sharing experiences.

I'm trying to sort out a massive problem with my employer's British Gas electricity account. We've been asking BG to solve a problem with our meter since June and it's still not done. I opened an official complaint in September and was given a resolution date of 4 November. Still nothing. We're a microbusiness so unlike larger businesses are eligible for Ombudsman support. Next week, the 8 weeks is up and I can refer my complaint to the Ombudsman.

Our issue is that BG think we have a dual-rate electricity meter and it's only single rate. We can't give them a reading as we only have one figure and they want two. Our bills have always been estimated and there's nothing we can do about it if a high one comes in as they can't accept a meter reading from us. BG visited in July and said "yes, it's a single-rate meter", but they still haven't updated their systems and re-issued our bills.

We're now out of contract and paying high variable prices but are unable to switch to a new supplier due to the meter record being incorrect (any new supplier looking us up on the national database sees us as having a dual-rate meter). We're a small charity and feel like we're being held hostage by British Gas Business as we're physically unable to leave them and are at the mercy of whatever estimated bills they come up with (we recently had one for over £200 for 10 days, when our bills should be around £60 per month).

Every time I phone I'm told the same thing: "It's been referred to another team to fix and they haven't done it yet." I can't find out who that team is or how to contact them. There's no sign of a resolution and I'm just hoping the Ombudsman can get things moving.

I know MSE is a consumer forum, not a business forum, but I'm tearing my hair out with British Gas so if anyone happens to have any advice...! I would never, ever use them for my own supply at home after this experience.

That sounds a real pain. We're in a similar position really - a very small business in the grand scheme! I reposted in the Small Biz Moneysaving board, so we shall see if anything comes back. Hope you get it sorted. It's deeply unhelpful, I know! For context, I'm standing my ground and paying nothing until they come up with a satisfactory solution or until I have some robust advice on what we can/can't expect. I know business terms will be different to consumer ones, but I'm not paying through the nose for their slowness/incompetence. That's the key reason I want to move away, so fingers crossed for both of us!
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 November 2019 at 1:45PM
    Hope you can resolve your issues soon too! For the moment we've kept our direct debit open. I think several of our estimated bills have been too low, so despite the high one recently I think we're still 'up' at this moment. I did phone them to see if they would reduce the high bill but they wouldn't without a meter reading. They said our only option was to cancel the direct debit, but I feel like getting into arrears wouldn't help!?!

We also want to move away which is why we let our contract end and are on variable pricing. On one phone call I mentioned that we're on high prices at the moment and they offered us a new 2-year contract. :rotfl:
  • jrcd92
    pinkteapot wrote: »
    Hope you can resolve your issues soon too! For the moment we've kept our direct debit open. I think several of our estimated bills have been too low, so despite the high one recently I think we're still 'up' at this moment. I did phone them to see if they would reduce the high bill but they wouldn't without a meter reading. They said our only option was to cancel the direct debit, but I feel like getting into arrears wouldn't help!?!

We also want to move away which is why we let our contract end and are on variable pricing. On one phone call I mentioned that we're on high prices at the moment and they offered us a new 2-year contract. :rotfl:

Classic... It's really bad! I used Bulb at our previous premises, and use them at my home too - their customer service is so transparent and efficient by comparison. Also 100% renewable, which is a nice bonus. Can't recommend highly enough, if you can get out of the pickle with BG!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure