Tummy bugs on holiday UPDATE Shigella post 57

Kim_kim
Kim_kim Posts: 3,725
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Forumite
edited 19 November 2019 at 8:32PM in Overseas holidays & travel planning
Just returned from an expensive Carribean holiday.
It was 13th or 14th out of 145 hotels on trip advisor, I tried to be really careful in my choice.
We also made good choices on the food there, used freshly cooked to order where possible, avoided rice on buffets, avoided shellfish, the usual.
I’m almost teetotal & my daughter didn’t really drink, 2 young children with us - my grandchildren. We limit sun as we are fair celts.
But on day 4 she got a right dose of D&V (mostly D). That was it for her, she had a day and a half in bed, made a huge effort to get up for the final day & is still suffering at home.
I’ve been similar since day 4, but not as bad as her - thankfully.

A weeks holiday cost 4k, half of it was spoilt, I am really annoyed that we play this roulette with long haul holidays. I’m not seeking compensation, we didn’t report anything in resort (we did at check out, the customer survey). This isn’t about that,

I toyed between 3 hotels and I’m so annoyed with myself I didn’t book the sensatori which I feel would have been a safer bet.

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,244
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I am really sorry that this happened to you...
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,271
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It can happen anywhere, even Mediterranean holidays, in 5* hotels.

It only needs you to touch a serving spoon, that's been touched by someone who hasn't washed their hands properly, and then eat a bread roll (with your fingers).

Our last holiday was blighted by us both getting "the bug", vigilant as we thought we'd been.

The joys of travel.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.47% of current retirement "pot" (as at end February 2024)
  • Unfortunately D&V can have a range of causes from "simple" dehydration and the different water/food even if safe to drink, filtered, bottled etc the body can reject it is it is not the "norm" to viruses such as norovirus which can live on objects for upto 3 hours

Its not pleasant, did you report it to the resort while you were on holiday if you did you **maybe** able to claim on your holiday insurance
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • OP as another poster has said it might not have been the food......just as easy you touched a door handle/lift button/tap/ and a 101 other things that some other dirty person has touched
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,513
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    One of the things that might help you on future holidays is to build up your immune system before you go away and whilst there by taking pro-biotics.

I went to India earlier this year and came home with food poisoning (great!) two of the very few people who did not succumb to 'something' (it may not have all been the same problem) took probiotics for a couple of weeks beforehand and during trip. We were incredibly careful washing hands, using hand gel etc.......
    At least I was only ill right at the end of holiday, on 12 hour flight and at home....
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It can be as simple as ingesting some of the water when showering. No telling where a stomach upset is contracted.
  • Kim_kim
    Forumite
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    It can happen anywhere, even Mediterranean holidays, in 5* hotels.

It only needs you to touch a serving spoon, that's been touched by someone who hasn't washed their hands properly, and then eat a bread roll (with your fingers).

Our last holiday was blighted by us both getting "the bug", vigilant as we thought we'd been.

The joys of travel.

Yes. Last December I went to the sensatori in Cancun.
    You didn’t get in the restaurant door without first being asked about allergies and then having anti bac gel squired on your hands to rub in. They just made everyone do it.

Because it does as you say only take someone handling a spoon with a bug to spread it. I thought it was an excellent idea, sadly they didn’t do that at this one - the Now Onyx Punta Cana.
  • Kim_kim
    Forumite
    sazaccount wrote: »
    Unfortunately D&V can have a range of causes from "simple" dehydration and the different water/food even if safe to drink, filtered, bottled etc the body can reject it is it is not the "norm" to viruses such as norovirus which can live on objects for upto 3 hours

Its not pleasant, did you report it to the resort while you were on holiday if you did you **maybe** able to claim on your holiday insurance

We didn’t see a doctor. We had brought Imodium & rehydration sachets.
    We did report it to the resort on the customer survey at check out.
  • Kim_kim
    Forumite
    edited 7 November 2019 at 9:17PM
    pattycake wrote: »
    It can be as simple as ingesting some of the water when showering. No telling where a stomach upset is contracted.

It could be.....but we both got it at the same time.

We were extra careful keeping our mouths clamped shut when showering & used bottled water for teeth brushing.
  • Kim_kim
    Forumite
    I must add, we did use anti bad gel, but unless everyone is doing it, it’s not very effective.

Something else I noticed.
    On hotel buffets they always put a napkin for people to grab the bread to cut it. I often saw people just handling it :-(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure